Login / Register

Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)
New Reply
Subscribe
tzanc
22nd February 2007
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear interested

Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)

I do some work at a public radio station. I found this behind the Wheatstone console today. It wasn't hooked up anymore, but at one time, it served as a line trim for the monitors. Ironically, the monitors were Behringers. (We have genelecs now). Anyways, I thought this was pretty funny. If you guys have some ugly jury rigged stuff, I'd love to see the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)-altoids1.jpg   Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)-altoids2.jpg  
22nd February 2007
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to excellrec
See my post in the homemade racks 2007 thread...
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear nut

down to the wire

Sadly, no pictures for this one. Just a story.

Gearing up before a mid-afternoon gig at a concrete block hole in the wall club called the Stone Lounge in Tampa - the kind of gig where the audience is comprised entirely of the members of the other bands that are playing and however many bartenders are working at the time - the electronics on my guitar stopped working. It was a Peavey Tracer. Oh yeah. So we opened it up and saw that one of the wires on inside had broken in half. Hmmm...what to do. One of the guys from a hardcore band that was going on next (i think they were called Scouts Honor) had a roll of electrical tape on hand so we clipped a piece of excess guitar string that was flopping around the tuning peg and recompleted the circuit with that. Worked perfectly.

A year later we sold that guitar to guy outside of a pawn shop who offered us 100 bucks for the guitar because the pawn shop owner was only going to give us $50 for it and "that guitar looks way too awesome to let go for just 50 bucks. You're getting ripped off."

Yeah.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
I should take a photo of the box that I made to output my C64 to my 32" TV's Composite input.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I love the altoids trimmer.
I was doing an out of town record at a factory many years ago for an industrial with very limited gear, & found I had no way to switch the slate mic in & out. so I ran to the local RadioSchlock, bought some switches & wire & connectors, but they had no project boxes so I ended up using a plastic ice bucket from the motel we were staying in. Looked great, I wish I had a pic.

There are many things like this in my studio, I'll see if I can take some pics.
BTW it's "Gerry rig", "Gerry" being slang for German.

My very incomplete IMDB list

I'm all ears.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear nut

tangerine altoids are a very recent addition to the callard and bowser product line, so whoever did that came up with it within the last couple years
Led
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veej007 View Post
tangerine altoids are a very recent addition to the callard and bowser product line, so whoever did that came up with it within the last couple years
That is such a gearslutz type of comment. (I mean that in a good way)
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Mini-patchbay, made by sawing a section off a dbx patchbay and mounting it in my plywood rack. Gotta love that plywood. You can't ruin it, because it's already crap. (Same goes for the dbx patchbay.)
Speaker select switches. The left one turns off or on the big speakers. The right one toggles between the big speakers and the powered monitors. The bottom left one flips the stereo image, so I can make sure the mix isn't getting lopsided.
I almost had a heart attack the other day, visiting the local Radio Shack to pick up some 1/4" jacks for a speaker box. They were gone! Or so I thought, till I found them in one of those drawer thingies they have at Ace. If walmart puts radio shack out of business, I'm going to be really PO'd.
(Forgot to mention the cardboard blank panels in the 500 rack. After much R&D, I discovered that a Remo drum head box has the perfect thickness of cardboard for that purpose.)
Attached Thumbnails
Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)-mini-patchbay.jpg   Jury Rigged stuff you find in studios (post your pics)-switches.jpg  

Last edited by uncle duncan; 23rd February 2007 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: cardboard
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer View Post
I love the altoids trimmer.
I was doing an out of town record at a factory many years ago for an industrial with very limited gear, & found I had no way to switch the slate mic in & out. so I ran to the local RadioSchlock, bought some switches & wire & connectors, but they had no project boxes so I ended up using a plastic ice bucket from the motel we were staying in. Looked great, I wish I had a pic.

There are many things like this in my studio, I'll see if I can take some pics.
BTW it's "Gerry rig", "Gerry" being slang for German.
I always thought it derived from the Biblical refernece 'built like Jericho as the trumpets brought down the city walls.

www.giantwafer.com
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

1st March 2007
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

I stand corrected. I always though it strange, anyhow, since as far a I've always heard Germans have a long standing reputation for building things well.
8th March 2007
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

Just bumping this cool thread.

uncle duncan may walk away with the gold.

thumbsup
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Head

3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to bunnerabb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer View Post
I stand corrected. I always though it strange, anyhow, since as far a I've always heard Germans have a long standing reputation for building things well.
Jury rigging (or jerry rigging) refers to makeshift repairs or substitutes, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand.
Nautical use
On sailing ships, the jury rig is a replacement mast and yards improvised in case of loss of the original mast.
Etymology
There are these theories about the origin of the term “jury” in this sense:
  • A Latin and Old French root meaning “aid” or “succour”.
  • “jury-mast” derived from “injury-mast”.
  • From French du jour = “of the day”, thus `temporary’.
  • Some believe that “jerry-rig” comes from “Jerry”, slang for “German”, but this is an inaccurate folk etymology.
Rigging
While ships typically carried a number of spare parts such as topmasts, the lower masts, at up to one meter in diameter, were too large to carry spares. So a jury mast could be various things. Contemporary drawings and paintings show a wide variety of jury rigs, attesting to the creativity of sailors faced with the need to save their ships.
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search