Midi patchbay?
rodhmos
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear maniac

Midi patchbay?

My apologies if this is a stupid question:
Does a midi patchbay exist as a product?
(I would prefer something that is still in production).

Please feel free to suggest brands if is is allowed by the forum rules!

Thank you!
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Absolutely! But we need to be clear, are we talking about a midi interface for a computer, or an actual midi patchbay, i.e. eight ins being routed to eight outs.

True midi patchbays (not midi interfaces) were more of a late 80's to mid-90's kind of thing. As such, most of your selection is going to be used.

A good one was made by 360 Systems, and was called the Midi Patcher.
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yep, and I have a 360 systems midi patcher 4 in 8 out that I no longer use. I now use a couple of Maudio 8x8's. Let me know if the one I am not using is big enough.

Danny
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have an old Akai midi patchbay
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

The old Roland A-880 is a classic. And still the best if you ask me!
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Edirol UM-880
thumbsup +1
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Edirol UM-880
I agree on that one too! That's the one I'm using, while my A-880 sees no use nowadays. The UM-880 is a bit expensive just as a patchbay though...
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear maniac

MIDI interfaces vs. Midi Patchbays

MIDI patchbays are pretty much a thing of the past and I really wish the were not.
Finding a good one, with great patching software that is useable on a modern operating system, is difficult.
We must differentiate between MIDI interfaces and MIDI Patchbays.
A patchbay allows any MIDI in to route to any MIDI Out. An interface usually allows MIDI In/OUT messages to route to and from a computer based DAW to your hardware outboard synths, etc..no patching usually

Midi interfaces are of course, still around. Midisport 2x2 and 4x4 series are a good example.
Patchbays are another story.

Since music is so computer-centric it seems the manufacturers have pretty much sent rack MIDI patchbays out to pasture.
Too bad, the convenience of a patchbay cannot be understated in a studio that is running soley external sequencers, drum machines and synths and is not computer DAW based.

I have two Patchbays, which I still need but get around by just routing from MIDI out to IN to THRU on all my hardware and using one keyboard controller to my sequencer.

I really like my old Kawai MAV-8
-died. It was a great patchbay in its day. Doubt I could find another one.
KAWAI MAV-8 MIDI Patchbay

I also own the MIDIman Midisport 8 x 8 which is now owned by M-Audio. The patching software is useless on Mac OS X so it does me no good, either. It lists drivers for OSX but this does not mean the patchbay configuration routing (Remote patching software) will work on modern OS's. As a matter of fact, I installed the driver from M-Audio and the Remote software did not even show on my computer. Ce'st la vie. Oh well. Read the manual, you can see how antiquated this thing is.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...8x8_Manual.pdf

MOTU just came out with new drivers for the MIDI Express 128, so good luck.
I purchased, then returned that unit last year as the clockworks software would not work with Mac OSX.
http://http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128
M-Audio has some 4x4 interfaces, as well.
M-AUDIO - MIDISPORT 4x4 Anniversary Edition - 4-in/4-out USB MIDI Interface

Good luck!

Last edited by Ethereralgreta; 3rd January 2010 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: mispelling
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Good Listener

Can't you use an MTPAV?
roc
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
roc
Lives for gear

13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

A Midisport 8x8 interface can operate as a standalone patchbay as well.
you might find there are a few currently in production that can.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

thread grave diggers!

but if anyone has a midi patchbay that is decent and cheap I'm after one.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Edirol UM-880
+2 thumbsup
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

JL Cooper MSB 8x8 MIDI patchbay is a great unit. Hasn't been made since the 90s and doesn't have USB, but you can program it from the front panel.

I have two in my system.

Two products that need to come back are MIDI patchbays and decent MIDI keyboard controllers like the Kurzweil MIDIBoard.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear maniac

Although they don't come up for sale very often a Digital Music Corp MX8 is a very good midi patch bay. I've had one for years and it never failed me.

I can also vouch for the Kawai MAV8. It is very simple, just a few sliders that select which input goes to which output. No processing, so nothing that can go wrong.

I also just bought a Edirol UM880, mainly because I need more midi I/O but I'll probably also be using it as a patchbay. Haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet but considering the excellent rap it usually gets I have high expectations.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
thread grave diggers!

Used MOTU MTPAV. New they're around $500, but I've seen 'em used for around $100. I recently saw a used parallel port one for $1 at a GC.

There's also the ESI M8U XL, but I'm not sure if it'll function as a stand-alone patchbay.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscannon View Post
Can't you use an MTPAV?
An MTPAV from MOTU is both a 9 by 8 midi patchbay and midi interface.

The JL Cooper 15/16 was a beast if you needed that much juice

My Fav was the KMX Midi Central, later sold by Ensoniq. 15/16 with all the buttons prog from the front with no screens. A breeze to grok.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm black balling jlc. they don't really support there discontinued items.

so if you have a problem with them, your screwed and they could care less. they got bigger customers to sell too who spend bigger dollars.

on the other hand there cs-10/2 was a great idea. if it was supported and brought up to speed with touch sensitivity and motor faders they could really compete. make a cs-10/3. more importantly, just supported at all. works ok in cubase.

but alas, they could care less really. so, i will spend no more money with them. i'd rather wait around and buy a kawai
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amino View Post
The old Roland A-880 is a classic. And still the best if you ask me!
Yep. Found one on CL a while ago for next to nothing. What a gem!
29th August 2010
Old 29th August 2010
Gear interested

re the JL Cooper MSB midi patchbay/router

Just in case you don't know... both MOTU and Sound Quest's universal synth editor/librarian programs are compatible with all versions of the JL Cooper MSB midi patchbay, if you ever manage to snag one.

That said, they are primarily designed to operate "standalone" and from what i can tell from the manual I just downloaded, it's as straight forward as they could possibly make front panel editing for a device that apparently does everything except make coffee and clean dishes, especially the MSB Plus Rev 2 (check out the manual: JLCooper Product Manuals )

They were apparently the industry standard for such devices. I just bought the MSB Plus Rev 2 off eBay and anxiously await its arrival. I'll let you know whether it lives up to its reputation...

FOM
29th August 2010
Old 29th August 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
thread grave diggers!

I have a Signex CPM22 which I could shift if your after one, would need to test it first though has been in storage for a while. 22 in/out.

Signex Pro Audio
2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear addict

thread rez time again.

i just bought a novation remote zero for my mks-50 and I'm planning on picking up other vintage modules over the next few months and i'd like to use the controller with all of them.

this might be kind of a noob question but is there a box out there that lets you merge or select different MIDI devices?

i dont want to plug and unplug things in the back of the controller each time i want to use a different synth.

or should I just daisy chain it? i'm thinking i'll be using the remote with 5 or so different synths eventually.
2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

yes this is such a simple thing and such a pain.

I'm thinking of getting one of these and converting the end of a midi cable into stereo jack.

Hosa SLW-333 Speaker SELECTOR, 1 IN TO 3 OUT, OR 3 IN TO 1 OUT

Midi only uses 3 pins anyhow so as this is a balanced unit, then if it's hacked with two knobs you could get 2 X (3 to 1) or (1 to 3) routers.
depending on how you chose to connect things.

or you could just use one side of it or even use both sides and leave certain ones empty do some clever cross wiring and devise a clever matrix.

mmm I think I just talked myself into this idea.
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
yes this is such a simple thing and such a pain.

I'm thinking of getting one of these and converting the end of a midi cable into stereo jack.

Hosa SLW-333 Speaker SELECTOR, 1 IN TO 3 OUT, OR 3 IN TO 1 OUT

Midi only uses 3 pins anyhow so as this is a balanced unit, then if it's hacked with two knobs you could get 2 X (3 to 1) or (1 to 3) routers.
depending on how you chose to connect things.

or you could just use one side of it or even use both sides and leave certain ones empty do some clever cross wiring and devise a clever matrix.

mmm I think I just talked myself into this idea.
Gads! If thats really the best option out there then
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Gear addict

I need to get my Remote Zero, CS6X and MKS-50 to all play together so I need a MIDI merge box.

But since I plan on getting more vintage modules down the road, shouldnt I just get a patch bay and be ready for later?

My local shop has the following:

Kawai MAV-8

MOTU MTP II

Akai ME-30P II

Yamaha MJC8

Which one would you go for?
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Gear addict

i was cleaning out my basement and found an old Voyce LX-9

g
17th March 2011
Old 17th March 2011
Gear addict

Biz,

Are you on OSX or Windows?

Eitehr way there's decent MIDI patchbay software you can use to select different patches between hardware units with a click or two.

I use this setup on OSX to switch MIDI between my Nord G2 and my MKS50, 70 & 80 modules and it works great - no DAW required!

Let me know if you want more details...
17th March 2011
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Head

yep just get the MOTU midi timepiece, ur life will be solved man...

pretty much ppl if you cant understand midi then you may aswell just never bother with anything in ur life...
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post
Biz,

Are you on OSX or Windows?

Eitehr way there's decent MIDI patchbay software you can use to select different patches between hardware units with a click or two.

I use this setup on OSX to switch MIDI between my Nord G2 and my MKS50, 70 & 80 modules and it works great - no DAW required!

Let me know if you want more details...
I use Windows. And I'm not sure if thats what I'm looking for(?)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search