Columbus OH Sluts, declare yourselves!
BlueRadio
6th February 2007
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Columbus OH Sluts, declare yourselves!

Man, I really hope that there are a couple of guys out there from Columbus...

I'm just looking to say hi, network, chat, maybe go out for a beer or whatever. I'm running my studio out of a rented house in Gahanna.

I've been thinking of moving to a location that is better suited for recording (i.e. away from my bitchy house mates) for quite some time now...and I think that it would benefit me to know a few more Columbus audiophiles. Give me a shout guys!
17th February 2007
Old 17th February 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i would be a columbus slut. i've talked to quite a few others on here so i know there's more!
17th February 2007
Old 17th February 2007
Village Idiot

This is a cool idea.

If everyone from Ohio posts up here, itll be easy for everyone else to update their ignore lists.

Gustav
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
This is a cool idea.

If everyone from Ohio posts up here, itll be easy for everyone else to update their ignore lists.

Gustav
Thanks dfegad Gustav, You just helped me update mine.
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear maniac

Oh, and Gustav....does the wolf prefer you spit or swallow?
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear interested

Welcome Jon! I run a small and really overcrowded project studio on the Hilltop in Columbus. Just ignore that guy from Denmark. My grandmother was born in Stockholm and played 7 instruments without that kind of attitude. Oh by the way her grandmother was Jenny Lind so there Denmark! Eddie.
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear interested

i am from columbus oh too. i run a project studio out of my house on the east side
BlueRadio
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Cool, I'm glad you all found this post! I put it up awhile ago.

We should all go out for beers...Gustav, you can come too, as I can see that you are uuuber coolstike. Really, I mean it. Nice glasses, BTW...takes me back to my emo days in high school.

Any of you guys play instruments? My studio isn't very big, but I've always wanted to have a jam session / mini party at the place...could be fun. Word?
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

i travel through columbus every few months on tour, so i'd love to see a room or two the next time i'm through! i've also got a buddy building a large studio down in granville--i'll have to point him towards this thread the next time i speak with him. dave.
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Columbus overhead Slutz ????
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear nut

Hey there, form columbus as well, recording sounds in Worthington
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
Oh, and Gustav....does the wolf prefer you spit or swallow?
Haha! Too bad you have me on ignore..

Welcome to gearslutz!

Gustav
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear nut

Hello everyone,

I guess I am now an official slut as I just registered - long time reader, first time poster. This home town post caught my eye and lured me out of lurking ...

I live in Cbus when I am home ... and love it! I have been to every major city in the states and lived abroad for a while, and though that doesn't qualify me as a travel agent, I still think Cbus a great city. Modern, convenient, and just enough behind the fashion curve to keep it real. I am a midwestern guy and don't mind saying so ...

I travel about 6-8 months a year on tour as a FOH engineer. The rest of my time I spend in front of my Focal SM8s.

I got off tour last week. The band I work for finished the leg with a soldout "in the round" Madison Square Garden show that was recorded for DVD release.

I mix in the box, am fortunate to have friends that don't, and prefer Nuendo to Protools. In spite of that last comment, I do love the Venue console - won't leave home without it.

jpanda

Last edited by PandaFOH; 18th February 2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: add text
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear interested

I play guitar, learned when the beatles came out and still jam now and then. I know I must be a hundred. Last played with Willie Pooch about 8 or so years ago. Grandpa rocks!
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear interested

i play drums. actually i just ordered a new kit mapex pro-m based on a lot of good reviews. hope it sounds as good as everyone said.
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i'm no great musician but like composing through keyboards. i'm in galloway, pretty decent collection of synths, mics, pres, compressors, eq's, and a shit load of computer hardware and software.

always looking for people to collaborate with, especially anything electronic influenced like rap, dance, trip hop, etc.
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hey any of you in Columbus know the band "Lollipop Factory?" Dave is an old friend of mine from So Cal. I think he still lives in Columbus...
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Hey any of you in Columbus know the band "Lollipop Factory?" Dave is an old friend of mine from So Cal. I think he still lives in Columbus...

Yeah I remember mixing them once about 10 or 15 odd years ago in a club where my buddy had an install and needed a babysitter - very Queen "night at the opera" era meets Jellyfish with a smidge of early beatles tossed in. Damn good vocal harmonies and tight band.

Tweed - that was his name right?

Lanky guy with red hair? I remember thinking that the band was awesome ... but they would never make any money. I thought they were a little too out there for contemporary tastes and in the wrong place at the wrong time for what they were doing. Great band though. Too bad there isn't more like them - then maybe contemporary taste would change eh?

I have been on the road or in my studio for 8 odd years ... so I don't have a clue whats going on in Cbus music wise. I remember the Columbus music scene as always being very cliqueish though ... and recall that the community isn't very supportive compared to other citys. But, in some ways it's a lot like a cross between Detroit and Nashville because the city breeds lot of world class musicians. Something is in the water in the midwest. Unfortuantely, they (the great musicains) all leave after a time if they're serious ... and understandably so.

One of the main reasons I like it here - it's not a music town but has some amazing players. I can actually work without distraction.

Panda
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaFOH View Post
Yeah I remember mixing them once about 10 or 15 odd years ago in a club where my buddy had an install and needed a babysitter - very Queen "night at the opera" era meets Jellyfish with a smidge of early beatles tossed in. Damn good vocal harmonies and tight band.

Tweed - that was his name right?

Lanky guy with red hair? I remember thinking that the band was awesome ... but they would never make any money. I thought they were a little too out there for contemporary tastes and in the wrong place at the wrong time for what they were doing. Great band though. Too bad there isn't more like them - then maybe contemporary taste would change eh?

Panda
Yessir, thats him! I ran into them on myspace a few weeks ago, they have 2 songs on there. Sick talent they are, and good call on the Jellyfish thing. He actually tried out for them about 15 years ago, and drove back out here to Ca. for the audition.

They do go over alot of peoples heads, but the people that love them, LOVE THEM!!
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Gear maniac

I am not from Columbus, but I used to spend some serious time playing down there. Oldfields, The Newburg Tavern, Scarlett and Gray, The Newport... all those kinda places.

I am in Ashland, about an hour north of Cbus.

mm
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Gear addict

I used to live in Columbus, it's my hometown. I REALLY wish I could move back!
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Gear Guru

Hi all ... we're a little north up 315. Yes Tweed is alive and kickin. I saw him recently (making Lollipop Factory music and tuning pipe organs nationally)

Panda makes time for GS (bass traps going well?)

Granville is cool place for a studio (I'd like to meet your friend there, Dave)
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Gear nut

Panda makes time for GS (bass traps going well?)

Hey Brian, yeah I want to come out sometime later in the month if thats okay and say hello - I only have 3 dates in march and then it's full tilt april through june. Austrlia is on the summer itenerary ... but I never believe anything until the plane ticket is my hand.

Unfortunately, I am recoverying from a surgery at the moment otherwise I would give you a jingle. I can't really talk at present time - the surgeon took a pound off my nose and breathing is a chore.

BTW, the problem with frequency summing I was having is no longer an issue as I moved my mix room to allow better dimensions. When we last talked about that room - I failed to mention that it was overcrowed with out board gear as well. Moving solved the problem I was having with 140 hz and allowed for a more comfy enviroment, not to mention diffusing some of the reflections as well. Thanks for the tip though. I am ordering the real traps next month after I get a residual.

Panda
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to see those guys at Staches back in the day.. good band.
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear maniac

I'll be moving to Lancaster which is close to Columbus later this yaer from England. Would be cool to hook up with some of the slutz
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear nut

columbus resident here. holding it down in Clintonville.

Quote:
i bought an RE-10 and a large locker from him off craigslist not too long ago. he just left town to, and i quote, "tour indefinitely." seems like a really great guy, although he wouldn't sell me his buddy's farfisa for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
I'll be moving to Lancaster which is close to Columbus later this yaer from England. Would be cool to hook up with some of the slutz
have you visited there before? not being snotty, just wondering, as there isn't a whole lot going on out there (hell, some people would tell you there's not even a lot going on in the city itself, let alone the sticks). PLUS we have way more UK girls in the city. i know this for a fact.
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear Head

Columbus here as well. Great town...and agreeing on the Lancaster bit.......why Lancaster? You need to relearn how to say it when you do move........Lncster. Say it just like we do!

eta. Dave Tweed is the awesome. He once sat in with a band of mine with only a few hours notice and did 2 hours of Elvis songs with a full band. He's a badass

Last edited by pauly; 10th July 2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: added Tweed shite.
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Man, I really hope that there are a couple of guys out there from Columbus...

I'm just looking to say hi, network, chat, maybe go out for a beer or whatever. I'm running my studio out of a rented house in Gahanna.

I've been thinking of moving to a location that is better suited for recording (i.e. away from my bitchy house mates) for quite some time now...and I think that it would benefit me to know a few more Columbus audiophiles. Give me a shout guys!
I have recently relocated to Granville, from the bay area. I played the gahana creekside blues and jazz festival a couple weeks ago. Hopefully we will meet up someday. I am learning how to record myself and enjoy learning more! I play every other saturday in Granville, and will be at these festivals in the columbus area- lancaster festival, and pinkerington jazz blues and rib fest this summer. Walter
SoundClick artist: Walter Tore's Spontobeat - Spontaneously created music
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpianomn View Post
i travel through columbus every few months on tour, so i'd love to see a room or two the next time i'm through! i've also got a buddy building a large studio down in granville--i'll have to point him towards this thread the next time i speak with him. dave.
I live right in the village- a great place. Please forward my name to your friend. Maybe we will meet up someday. Walter Tore

here is a song I did about Granville a few weeks ago

Last edited by walter tore; 10th July 2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: more
10th July 2008
Old 10th July 2008
Gear maniac

I had no idea there were so many Columbus people on here!!! Im from Galloway, on what my family always called "the far westside." I live in Los Angeles now, and I'm working at a really nice studio but I'll be moving back to Columbus in December and I'm really looking forward to it. I used to play in Lieutenant Dan's New Legs before I moved out here so I know all of those places, Little Brothers, Frog Bear, Newport, The Continent, Comfest.

I'd be into seeing your studios sometime, but I'd be even more into having a beer. If anybodys ever in LA let me know and I'll show you around the studio.

Nick
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search