Anyone using a Studio Projects T3?
New Reply
Subscribe
Johnkenn
6th February 2007
Old 6th February 2007
Banned

Anyone using a Studio Projects T3?

Maybe I should put this in the low end forum, but maybe there'll be more responses here. I have more expensive mics - Neumann, BIG, RED, etc, but I'm wondering about the T3. I know it's not cool to like such a cheap mic, but I've always thought the C1 was an incredible mic for the money - and on certain singers it can be THE mic. It's got a really great presence, but gets harsh when you really push it. I've had great luck with it on a soft, Allison Krauss-esque type singer. I guess my question is, is the T3 less harsh in the 1-8k? Is it even worth the $550? Or should I just get the R0 capsule for the Red or get a 22 251? All opinions welcome...
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

I have a C1 and was amazed at how good it sounds on some female vocals. First heard of it from Lori Morgan. It's the only mic she uses.
So, I bought a T3 and it has what I expected. Way more lo end (6072 tube) and a cool 5db dip from about 3-6k. It has a nice soft boost in the top air range also. I really like this one for female vocals. You can change the sound a lot with the variable polar patterns. I see you are also in Nashville. The biggest problem I have here is the screaming pinched 2k ripped my face off female vocal.
This mic seems to help this quite alot. For pre's I use a V72, 512c, MP2-NV or the Pacifica. I recently bought a Peluso 2247LE (NOS tube version). I was very surprised at how this sounded on female vocals. I thought it would be to harsh on them but about 80% of the females in the studio end up on that mic. It' gorgeous.
I will be trying the Peluso and the T3 on a real screamer this week (pop rock) but I have a feeling she'll end up on an AEA R84 or an SM7. We'll see.

Here's a link to a pdf graph of the T3

http://studioprojects.com/pdf/t3.pdf
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a T3 along with a 414 XLS, a BLUE Kiwi, a Gefell M930, and some other slutty mics. It's disturbing how often the T3 is by far the best choice when shooting the mics out for different singers (and instruments sometimes as well).

I wish my high dollar mics would win more often, but they don't!
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

In case anyone is wondering. The end result on my female pop vocalist was the T3 into a V72 pre, GML eq, DBX 902 De-Esser and a Distressor
The 5k dip in the T3 smoothed out the vocal beautifully leaving a nice punchy bottom and a good amount of air.
15th July 2009
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thread revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
In case anyone is wondering. The end result on my female pop vocalist was the T3 into a V72 pre, GML eq, DBX 902 De-Esser and a Distressor
The 5k dip in the T3 smoothed out the vocal beautifully leaving a nice punchy bottom and a good amount of air.
Just sold my main vocal mic, so while I wait to purchase another big guy, I've still gotta do a few projects.. Next up is a female urban pop song, kinda in the vein of say Ciara.

A few of my options to rent are AT4060 and TLM67 as well as SP T3 and Mojave MA200..

The mics we tried when recording the scratch version of the song was TLM49 and U87ai. Both sounded good, neither sounded great. The 87 has a more pleasant sound, but it's same good traits were almost it's downfalls for the style of this song. It was smooth, round and more natural sounding. It blended better, but didn't necessarily fit the style of mix.. ya know?

The TLM49's tone sounded good with the song, it gave a darker edge to the vocal (more in mood than tone itself). It was sharper and cut better, but also had the extra sibilance kicking in.

I'm worried both the TLM67 and AT4060 will sound too vintage or something. Perhaps the T3 would be a better choice?

Btw, this same singer sounded good for some things (layered hooks especially) with the SP C1. A mic I really don't care for much. But in a few situations, it was an appropriate choice.
15th July 2009
Old 15th July 2009
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

The T3 is smoother between 1-8KHz compared to the C1.

Because my baritone voice has a lot of high frequency overtones in it's higher range, the C1 is NOT the right vocal mic-unless you've got top notch recording skills to properly EQ/de-ess it.

Oddly enough, SP's cheapest (dollarwise) mic, the B1, has a flatter effective response than the C1. Therefore it works better on me "out of the box", and sounds darn good.

That being said, I rate the T3 and the CS series as my favorite SP vocal mics,
as they have a "bigger sound" than the B1.

The T3 seems a bit more aggressive in the mid-range (in a nice way!) vs. the CS.
The CS effectively has a flatter response IMHO. They both sound really good,
so I'd need wiser ears than mine to make a final selection!

Chris
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Head

I once had an artist come in with a t3 and insist I set it up next to my Brauner VMA, which after some discussion I obliged. Hot dam they sounded really close, Im talking clone close. The difference, a slight bit of brittleness in the high end. You could buy a freaking bunch of t3's for the brice of a VMA.
Just my thoughts..... Just my thougts.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

I have the T-3 and it sounds good on some sources..Some females (IME), it sounds " right" on. Then on some, a little harsh..That said, with a little EQ, it usually works out at the end...

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search