Recording Workshop - Chillicothe, Ohio
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Recording Workshop - Chillicothe, Ohio

I've been running a home based project studio for several years and am starting to get great results and a good bit of business. I want to take my skills to the next level and am wondering about Recording Workshop in Ohio.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about it?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Yea I went there. It's a decent way to get your hands on some big time equipment, but I didn't learn/retain much from only a 5 week course. Do it if you have a little dough to spend, and can get away for 5 weeks or so. Besides that course, I've learned most of what I know from mags like EQ, Recording, Mix, and just by teaching myself. I say if you have the time and if you have about $3000.00 to spare, check it out. There are worse things to spend your money on.. Bart
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I was there 17 years ago, so I bet it's a bit different now. (!) My class got the first DAT machines, and the instructors didn't know how to use them yet.

Good overview for less money than many; done intensive style for those who can't give up multiple months or years. Which means you have to immediately jump into using those virgin skills when you leave, or they will leave you. Clearly, you won't know a whole hell of a lot after 4-5 weeks; but you might think you do when you leave. Many of the lessons I learned there only became evident after several years of practicing in the field. No regrets about attending. The surrounding area is to be avoided, which could be good from the perspective of 'no distractions'.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear maniac

I went there about 6 years ago. I guess it is what you make of it, because it was the best 3 or 4 grand I ever spent. I learned a lot, and beat out 10 fullsail grads for an internship at a major studio. They teach you the way things work instead of monkey see monkey do. I'll warn you though... there isn't much to do in that town
Old 1st February 2007
Gear interested

Recording Workshop

I went there about 20 years ago. I have to say it helped me decide about whether I wanted to stay in college or go into the music business and make records. It was a great way to get "hands on" experience with equipment that, at the time, I never would have had the chance to use. If you can afford it, it's cheaper than the "Full Sail" program, but then that's like going to college for a profession. I took the skills I learned and taught myself from that. I moved to Los Angeles and haven't looked back. I've learned from the best in the business and have worked on some great records.

Would I do it again...? No doubt!

Good Luck!!
Old 1st February 2007
Gear maniac

I took a quick look at the Recording Workshop in Ohio website... and..... I wonder if the teachers have much experience in actually MAKING RECORDS. I mean - teaching from a textbook is one thing, but I wonder if the teachers all have tons of real record making skills..... records that you can buy at your local record store......

I recently met someone who went to homerecordingbootcamp and took the 6 day class. He said it was very intense, and that he finally understood a bunch of stuff (after 6 days of homerecordingbootcamp) that his 9 months in a recording college didnt teach him. He also said that he learned about the skill of ENGINEERING as opposed to GEAR - clearly engineering is more important than gear.... as gear constantly changes, and good ENGINEERING SKILLS last forever.

I see RCM around here on gearslutz - he runs homerecordingbootcamp in his spare time. Why dont you send him a PM or something to ask him about his school? I think they have a website too. I think it might be in his signature.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

If you have a background in audio, it is DEFINITELY worth it. I live 45 minutes from Chillicothe, and I really dug the course. BUT...if your audio experience is limited going in, there's a pretty good chance that you will forget everything soon after leaving the short educational stint. Or not. Either way, really cool place...but um....nothing to do except look at bugs and smoke pot

Lastly, they are not dream merchants. They promise no guaranteed path to glory; as no such path exists. Work hard, go to class, and learn. You'll like it
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I would have a pretty broad knowledge going in, so it sounds like it could really enhance what I have learned. Everything I know has come from trial and error, magazines, the web and just listening. I have never had anyone really show me anything, so I am really hungry to be taught.

I will check out the bootcamp deal too. Thanks for that info. I would love to intern for a while at a major studio and I think some solid education would really help.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2007
Gear maniac

I was there in '95. It was one of the best things I ever did for my career in the field. I had already been working in live sound and really was just flying by the seat of my pants. The Recording Workshop gave me a solid foundation with the basics of signal flow, gain structure, microphone use and knowledge, and so many other things. Also to those looking at and caring about resume's....in my experience, I've found that it holds equal weight as any professional technical school. They teach a solid foundation on which to grow. Also, it was some of the most fun I've ever had, great people and great experience.

Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
I took a quick look at the Recording Workshop in Ohio website... and..... I wonder if the teachers have much experience in actually MAKING RECORDS.
They did 17 years ago; they were all doing sessions on weekends. Several did a good bit of traveling to freelance on breaks.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear addict

nice kickstart

I'm a Feb '90 TRW grad. No regrets. Not exactly comprehensive, but in this biz the real education starts when you get your first opportunity (paid or unpaid) and you'd better be learning on the go, every day. TRW is a good, speedy way to get that first internship, I'd say. And the school has (or had - don't know currently) good people on staff.

And ditto on the comments re: the surrounding area... not much else to do but hang out in studios and learn. That's a good thing in my book. I mean, it's only two months. It's not like you're stuck in Podunk, OH for a couple of years or anything.

I'm glad I went. If nothing else, I have a vivid memory of walking in there at 19 years old and thinking "I've found what I'll be doing for the rest of my life."
Old 1st February 2007
Gear nut

went there in 2001, and never looked back. The place is great and you dont have to spend 2 years doing it. Basically they teach you the basics so that you can go get an internship at a studio. (They do job placement too!)
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Another grad here. Graduated in Jan 2000. I really enjyed the experience. When I think about it, I didn't have to go. But if I didn't I would have never found out about working on a cruise ship which ended up being one of the highlights so far of my young life. I really liked the teachers too.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear nut

I attended rec. workshop early summer 2002 and completed every course they offered. The instructors in my opinion are very down to earth, compared to another school I was signed up to attend the following year in tempe, az. I enjoyed every minute in masseyville ...... and would do it again in a heartbeat. You really can't go wrong if you take all the courses, may run you about $6,000 though, at least thats what I remember spending back in '02. - YMMV
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Is MEAD paper still stinking up that town? And what is up with all the dairy bars? Does the name Jeff Ling ring any bells on this thread?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Is MEAD paper still stinking up that town? And what is up with all the dairy bars? Does the name Jeff Ling ring any bells on this thread?
Yes...

That's pretty weird...

Jeff is the funniest, craziest son of a gun...
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I'm an early spring 2004 grad. Had a great time there (all the way from Mexico haha). Before attending I already had my project studio (for about 3 years) so I think that helpt me even more. I really liked the vibe and teaching system. It was my first time dealing with tape machines. I completed all 4 programs and I really recommend going there and taking all the courses. There was an instructor that worked with Metallica for example (just to comment about if the instructors have been working on pro-recordings).

I agree that there's not much to do in Massieville (and that's great because you focus on studying) but on weekends we arrange roadtrips to Cleveland and Columbus (saw Dream Theater and almost saw Dillinger Escape Plan, sorry I missed that!).

I aslo enjoyed the guest speakers lecture. We had Bill Halverson that time.

I still have all my handouts, books, cd's, dvd's, etc. from the courses as they're still a great source of information.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I rememeber Jeff having a rat tale and said that he would only cut it off it if came back in style. Well, i don't think that will ever come back in style but I wonder if he cut it off yet? Jeff was my favorite teacher there.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear nut

Jeff was my favorite teacher also; rat tail, beer gut, teal shorts, sandals... the man was real ! no bullsh*t !!!!
Old 1st February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
The smokestack, yeah still there, but not nearly as bad - a new company bought Mead and upgraded everything included the smell ...

Yeah Jeff is still there and he is STILL THE MAN! No rat tail though. He has a full mane which the ladies love.

The 8K tone should ring some bells too...
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Did somebody say rat tail? Cool. If I go, I will be right at home. I am from Kentucky. Rat tails and IROC Z Camaros are still real cool here bros.

Thanks for all your input. I am really thinking of going.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Did somebody say rat tail? Cool. If I go, I will be right at home. I am from Kentucky. Rat tails and IROC Z Camaros are still real cool here bros.

Thanks for all your input. I am really thinking of going.
If it's Jeff Ling's rat tail that's drawing you to Recording Workshop. Be aware that the rat tail is no more. Jeff now has these long blond tresses that make him look kinda like Burt Larr from "the Wizard of Oz".
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
If it's Jeff Ling's rat tail that's drawing you to Recording Workshop. Be aware that the rat tail is no more. Jeff now has these long blond tresses that make him look kinda like Burt Larr from "the Wizard of Oz".
Tresses man, far out.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
I aslo enjoyed the guest speakers lecture. We had Bill Halverson that time.
Bill Halverson talks at Recording Workshop on a pretty regular basis. He's got some good stuff he shares about the engineering he did for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Eric Clapton, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and others. Great guy and easy to talk to.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Old 4th February 2007
Gear maniac

Crash, have you bought a ribbon mike yet? You were researching one last month.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear nut

Yet another Rec Workshop Grad. REC is amazing, I learned soo much in the time I was there, I had been in and out of recording studios since I am also a performing artist so I had somewhat of an idea about audio enigieering and I had done some recording myself so that really did help a lot. You will learn as much as you want to but if you go and don`t have a clue of what you want then you will not learn anything, you will get what you put into it. I was there 24/7 got in all the studio even on other people`s sessions and I got to learn tons and get my hands on some pretty awesome pieces of gear too. The teachers are great, down to earth dudes, will even jam with you they just are awesome. If you have the opportunity to go don`t think twice about it.
I have friends that have gone to 4 year college recording programs and I know just as much and more than them all in just 5 weeks, the rest is up to you.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
Crash, have you bought a ribbon mike yet? You were researching one last month.
Not yet, still looking and researching. I gotta screaming deal on a 2 channel tube pre and an AKG414 that I had to pull the trigger on that set my ribon buy back a bit.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

april '85 grad ...

jeff was a favorite to hang with .. after hours drinking "Little Kings" doing sessions they would take in at night ...

learned alot about people and signal flow ... mead paper plant was stinking up the area then too ... i was dancing with some local girl in one of those bars in town ... drove her back to her place and she got wierd ... i think she was married ...

housing was in trailers ... yahoo ...

bill halverson was a speaker then too and was very cool in his approach ... turn it up until it distorts then turn it down a little ..

we had someone in our class drive by a school bus with the red lights flashing .. they took him away and we never saw him again ..

i also got a friendly ticket from the ohio hihway partol for speeding ... we were on the way to columbus to pick up some candy ... e good thing it was on the way there or i would still be working the chain gang in ohio ...

peace john
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search