Login / Register

Is there an online Database of Album Production Credits?
New Reply
Subscribe
jdjustice
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to jdjustice
Is there an online Database of Album Production Credits?

Greg Wells' thread re: Seal's Crazy made me wonder:

is there an online repository of information on album productions?
meaning who engineered, mixed, produced, wrote each track on a particular album.

if not, why not?
someone should take this up as a task if all the info hasn't been catalogued anywhere.
i could possibly do it with help (i am a database programmer in my spare time).....

wondering,
~j.d.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Klaatu.. barada.. nikto..

Allmusic.com is pretty good.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Allmusic.com is pretty good.
I like their reviews of albums, but the database is inaccurate and incomplete. They also, don't make changes as they claim, I have tried to get my credits added with no luck - I am mostly on the post side of things but have had a few major and indie releases - I had no luck. A place like imdb for music would be cool.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I just relaized I did receive credit for one album on Discogs.

Why can't these people update the AMG and Artist Direct sites.

So incomplete and arbitrary. Do they even reference the album credits?

I'm listed on tons of records, but for some reason not on these database sites.

I have heard that they may appear retroactively all at once. Who knows...
Myspace
Facebook
Studio
Twitter
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

It's weird that no one has started the equivalent of IMDb for music. I guess the idea of being a multi-millionaire like Col Needham isn't all that appealing.

Edit: Actually, looks like Discogs.com is doing it. Too bad it's not as easy to use or look at as IMDb. Must be a helluva undertaking cataloging every 7", every LP, etc.

Last edited by starcrash13; 22nd January 2007 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Actually looked into it after shooting my mouth off...
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
I just relaized I did receive credit for one album on Disc Dogs.

Why can't these people update the AMG and All Music sites.

So incomplete and arbitrary. Do they even reference the album credits?
You are supposed to send them a cd, which I did for a record that I co-wrote, produced, played guitar and keys on. They logged everything on the record except for me - should I take it personal? You do see my last name after the song titles, but songwriting in not part of the database, which is lame IMO. I also worked on a Universal release that came out this summer, all the other engineers are listed, even the assistants, but not me.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I know certain A&R that receive credit.

It's all so inconsistant.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzujan View Post
You are supposed to send them a cd, which I did for a record that I co-wrote, produced, played guitar and keys on. They logged everything on the record except for me - should I take it personal? You do see my last name after the song titles, but songwriting in not part of the database, which is lame IMO. I also worked on a Universal release that came out this summer, all the other engineers are listed, even the assistants, but not me.
You guys are gonna have to give me the "Adding Submissions Guide For Idiots" instruction.

I've been sitting around all this time assuming the labels automatically updated these sites.

I am truly a moron.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
You guys are gonna have to give me the "Adding Submissions Guide For Idiots" instruction.

I've been sitting around all this time assuming the labels automatically updated these sites.

I am truly a moron.
It's still hit or miss whether your credit will make it in. I know it's a huge undertaking for them, but geez...
www.studiometronome.com
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear nut

as a side note, i have had no luck in the past having myself added to the credits on IMDB for films that i worked on. Maybe i wasn't tenacious enough but the lists seem sort of arbitrary to me considering that i knew of other names that were omitted as well. i suppose that's the nature of these things.

Good luck getting your name where it belongs.
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Head

AMG

HOW DO U UPDATE AMG?????, THEY R MISSING SO MUCH STUFF I WISH WERE THERE.

AND I HAVE CREDIT ON RECORDS AS A CLARINET PLAYER B4 I WAS BORN
(WITH CAB CALLOWAY)
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I know it's a huge undertaking for them, but geez...
I would understand more if they weren't constantly putting up new review of new albums w/ cover art, samples and totally wrong and incomplete production credits. It just seems crazy that they have time to listen to and write about a record but can't find the time to copy liner note information verbatim from the same record.
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb9000j View Post
AND I HAVE CREDIT ON RECORDS AS A CLARINET PLAYER B4 I WAS BORN
(WITH CAB CALLOWAY)
Cool!! You must be very talented!

yeah, I know getting your credits updated takes tenacity, and you must be consistant and keep at it. I just upgraded a ton of credits on IMDb. The ones I though would sail right thru got hung up and others I was sure they would question went thru with no question. ??? Makes no sense, but I figure if you get 70% of your credits, you're ahead of the game.

I also wish there was something like IMDb for record credits. Oh well....
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Guru

Just checked Discogs. Wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyy worse than Allmusic.com. At least for me. They only had me down for 2 albums in over 20+ years of doing this....tutt
8th April 2008
Old 8th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Just checked Discogs. Wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyy worse than Allmusic.com. At least for me. They only had me down for 2 albums in over 20+ years of doing this....tutt

i checked ur site........nice, u have a lot of experience, i will keep u in my short list of advice people, especially for a few specifics (orchestral scoring)
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear maniac

Is there any site I can find producer credits on each song?

On allmusic and discogs it`s just a list over the hole album...
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

I have to also say that Allmusic sucks balls. It took me years to get credit for being a producer and performer on my own damn album!!
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstudio View Post
I have to also say that Allmusic sucks balls. It took me years to get credit for being a producer and performer on my own damn album!!
Thats really strange when we live in 2009!
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm one of many producers I've met who didn't get credited at all! Woefully inaccurate, and unfortunately, Allmusic is tied into practically every online retail site. And plus, some of these so-called Allmusic reviewers think they're friggin' Lester Bangs.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Guru

As long as we're ragging on AllMusic...

I have to say I used to really like it in many ways until they redesigned the search and navigation and it made it a big pain to get around there. The credit accuracy issue has always been a problem, though.

But what sometimes really sticks in my throat are the snarky, uninformed "reviews" you sometimes get instead of neutral write-ups as one would expect at something that purports to be a sort of pop music encyclopedia. Overall, it's not bad, but sometimes you really come across some stuff that's just wrong-headed.

Recently I became reacquainted with early 60s folkie Carolyn Hester. What struck me was how lovely, if not necessarily slick her vocals, a number of them a capella, were. Some very nice stuff. So how does AMG write her off? As "marginally talented." Sheesh.

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Gear interested

AlbumCredits.com - The online database for performance and production credits exists!

AlbumCredits.com is the most comprehensive, user-friendly database of music production and performance credits available. Album Credits has created a profile for anyone with a credit on the over 1,200,000 album’s and CD’s contained in the database.
Each profile is linked with the other professionals, performers, artists, and albums he/she has worked with. Profiles are like a mini-website with a complete discography, a photo and bio and a link to the professionals actual website. Anyone with a claimed profile can be contacted (for business inquiries only) although e-mail addresses are never made public.
The beta version of AlbumCredits.com is 100% free and claiming your profile is easy to do. Go to AlbumCredits.com today to find and claim your profile!
16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Discogs isn't/wasn't intended to be simply a database for credits etc.
It started as a means of cataloging the discographies of electronic music labels, but the genre became so splintetered and vague, every kind of music began to be added.
Also, titles are only usually added when someone wants to sell a copy of that particular release. The buying and selling on Discogs is a major part of the site.
Also, when titles are being added (by users, Discogs don't add titles themselves), there's no obligation to add all the recording credits, so long as the track titles and artist/label info is all correct.
One of the best sites on the internet if you ask me, and still growing.
jdjustice
16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
You are supposed to send them a cd
Actually I had forgotten about this, thanks I need to do it

Quote:
which I did for a record that I co-wrote, produced, played guitar and keys on. They logged everything on the record except for me - should I take it personal? You do see my last name after the song titles, but songwriting in not part of the database, which is lame IMO. I also worked on a Universal release that came out this summer, all the other engineers are listed, even the assistants, but not me.
Wondering: if I were Sony / BMG or Universal, would I also just 'send in a CD' to Allmusic ? Doubt it, but if that IS the case then the credits ( perhaps ) would need to be layed out in either the liner notes or ( better ) the metadata on the master recording.

Since I do 100% or close to everything on my own releases, it is not so much an issue for me, but the master recordings _should_ contain all the information needed to make this possible for the major labels ( and independents ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
But what sometimes really sticks in my throat are the snarky, uninformed "reviews" you sometimes get instead of neutral write-ups as one would expect at something that purports to be a sort of pop music encyclopedia. Overall, it's not bad, but sometimes you really come across some stuff that's just wrong-headed.
Yep aren't these the same reviews Apple chooses ( exclusively ? ) for their iTunes Store? I like how Amazon allows the public to vote on customer reviews.. which are usually much less snotty ( or 'snarky' )

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
I have to say I used to really like it in many ways until they redesigned the search and navigation and it made it a big pain to get around there.
I just went back and they have made some nice changes..... I think Allmusic is the definitive place for this stuff... however it would be great still to know a bit more about the contributors to each record... other than what is found in the liner notes anyway

Cheers
jdjustice
16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilander74 View Post
Discogs isn't/wasn't intended to be simply a database for credits etc.
It started as a means of cataloging the discographies of electronic music labels, but the genre became so splintetered and vague, every kind of music began to be added.
Also, titles are only usually added when someone wants to sell a copy of that particular release. The buying and selling on Discogs is a major part of the site.
Also, when titles are being added (by users, Discogs don't add titles themselves), there's no obligation to add all the recording credits, so long as the track titles and artist/label info is all correct.
One of the best sites on the internet if you ask me, and still growing.
Cool I am going to check it out
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Gear interested

Hi,

This is a very interesting thread.

I find that there are a lot of errors in my credits on all of the sites that were mentioned (allmusic.com will not even fix misspellings for me) and I also am disappointed that none of the sites break the credits down by individual tracks. It isn't even possible to figure out who played a guitar solo if there is more than one guitar player listed.

Does anyone know if there have been any further developments in this area in the last 2 years?

Thanks!

- John
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear addict

Bump! same here... trying to get credit where due but to no avail...
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Banned

I wish amazon had a music site like they do with imdb. All Music is such a trainwreck.
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Allmusic is a mess. All my credits are in different places, and they credit other people for my work. If you contact them about it, in writing, they still do nothing about it. If you want you find out who produced and wrote the songs on a specific album, Wikipedia usually has accurate results.

Sent from my Nexus One using Gearslutz.com
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Allmusic doesn't mesh well with the era we're in. More bands self-releasing, more small boutique labels that aren't sending stock to them, more digital and/or vinyl only releases. The scant few credits I've got there are mainly completely wrong, and getting edits made as a non-label rep is an uphill battle. Discogs isn't the most elegant, but at least it's easier to get things accurately represented and allows for independent bands and specialty labels.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search