Mono mic/line colour - V76 vs. Chandler Germanium vs. ?
7 Hz
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Mono mic/line colour - V78 vs. Chandler Germanium vs. ?

Wonder if anyone can cast any impressions or give me any tips on this.

I am looking for a mono input preamp, for a 441 and other mics, for a jazz bass and other basses and guitars, for analog synths, drum samples etc.

I like a bit of colour, so some dirt is fine. The pre wont be doing everything, so no problem with a strong vibe, but versatile is good.

I would prefer it to be low noise and high gain for the mic.

Should be funky, rich, with extended lows and smooth highs on bass, line level drums etc

Some type of variable messing about with the sound knob is viewed as a bonus. Distortion is acceptable or even required :-)

So far I have short-listed the TAB-Funkenwerk v78 and the Chandler Germanium. If I got the TAB-Funkenwerk, I would get the DW Fern DI box (or other DI boxes recommended for bass, keys etc?).

I am in the UK, and would love to hear these two on a shootout, but I don't even think the TAB-Funkenwerk is sold in the UK? In any case, I would probably order from the US since the exchange rate is sweet and I have options on shipping. (if anyone can give me a way to make this deal happen in the UK without it costing me double, please let me know!).

Any help or advice appreciated!
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Wonder if anyone can cast any impressions or give me any tips on this.

I am looking for a mono input preamp, for a 441 and other mics, for a jazz bass and other basses and guitars, for analog synths, drum samples etc.

I like a bit of colour, so some dirt is fine. The pre wont be doing everything, so no problem with a strong vibe, but versatile is good.

I would prefer it to be low noise and high gain for the mic.

Should be funky, rich, with extended lows and smooth highs on bass, line level drums etc

Some type of variable messing about with the sound knob is viewed as a bonus. Distortion is acceptable or even required :-)

So far I have short-listed the TAB-Funkenwerk v78 and the Chandler Germanium. If I got the TAB-Funkenwerk, I would get the DW Fern DI box (or other DI boxes recommended for bass, keys etc?).

I am in the UK, and would love to hear these two on a shootout, but I don't even think the TAB-Funkenwerk is sold in the UK? In any case, I would probably order from the US since the exchange rate is sweet and I have options on shipping. (if anyone can give me a way to make this deal happen in the UK without it costing me double, please let me know!).

Any help or advice appreciated!
Check with Keith @ KMR as I believe they carry both TAB-Funkenwerk and Chandler.

p.s. in tne header you wrote V76.....that's a different beast!
7 Hz
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Riccardo, I will see what FMR can do for me. I also updated the title so it is correct (DOH!).

If anyone else fancies giving me their two cents on the differences and similarities of these two boxes, please let me know! All info appreciated!
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, what do you know, this is my first "Get Both" post!

I have both and I think they complement each other quite well. The Germ has a kind of mild midrange emphasis that works really well for electric guitars, and the V78M has an extended frequency response, smoothness that doesn't sacrifice fidelity, and really noticeable 3D depth.

Both are great, and together they give you a really nice range of color. Plus, both Wade and Oliver are really great, dedicated people.

Cheers.

7 Hz
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post

I have both and I think they complement each other quite well. The Germ has a kind of mild midrange emphasis that works really well for electric guitars, and the V78M has an extended frequency response, smoothness that doesn't sacrifice fidelity, and really noticeable 3D depth.

Both are great, and together they give you a really nice range of color. Plus, both Wade and Oliver are really great, dedicated people.
Yeh would love to, but then the gearslut would say get TWO of each :-) Unfortunately, my budget and usage only stretches to one right now.

I am planning on maybe getting the Germanium tone later, so the TAB is a better bet so I have different colours, your description has confirmed the TAB may be a winner for me for a preamp. My only worry is it's lack of a dedicated DI, so I would have to have a DI box in front for electric bass (for keys as well? I heard it can take line in OK with the variable impedance...?)

Yes they both seem like dedicated and knowledgeable builders, vital IMHO!
7 Hz
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry for the bump...

I would have to have a DI box in front of a v78 for electric bass

Would I have to do this for keys as well?
C/G
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post

Cheers.

I had both for a long while and will agree. For a DI choice, I use the Tab Funkenwerk V71 as it continually beats all the dedicated DI inputs on all my high end pres. Any quality DI box feeding the V78 will do just fine.
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, sorry to state the obvious, but it really depends on the tone you're going for with your bass. Oliver makes a separate DI unit -- if I recall correctly, the tradeoffs of implementing one on the circuit of the V78M were, all things considered, unacceptable to him. Yes, you'll have to use a DI with the V78M. The Germ is great for bass, and already has a DI, so that has to go into the equation somehow. Bass through the Germ is more in-your-face, through 78 not as fierce, but with more depth. Go to the Ask Oliver section at the Mercenary website to learn more about the input impedance on the unit and how that might impact any keys you want to run through it.

Another annoying comment -- you're probably just going to have to try it out in your world, with your bass and style of playing, with your desired sonic criteria, to find out if it's going to sing for you.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search