ADAM Sub 1 with ADAM S3A's
Old 14th January 2004
Gear nut

ADAM Sub 1 with ADAM S3A's

Hello,

I'd love to get some feedback about how the S3A's sound with, verses without their Sub 1.

Thanks,
John
Old 15th January 2004
Gear nut

I love the tightness of the bass on the S3A's. At the same time, I'd really like to hear more of what's going on in the lowest octave or so of my mixes.

Does anyone with this combo feel as though you give up any tightness in the bass?

Thanks,
John
Old 15th January 2004
Rep
Lives for gear

I too was trying to sup. my lack of "feel" with a sub
I was told by D.B. that if I wanted to "rock the house" I could put a "P sub" with my S2's ,
but If I wanted to get it to translate ... go S3
there would be no reason that the S3 with the sub , wouldn't be a similar out come. they should say go S4's .
What I really wonder is if the S4 series address the "lack of punch feel " that many of us experience.
but the only feed back I get Is that the S4's are too mid sounding,
with the S5A's being the solution other then the 3's.
To me it is not the lack of low end... Its the lack of "feel" or Lack of "pushing Air"
Old 15th January 2004
Lives for gear

I'm curious about one thing, is a -3dB point of S3A really at 32Hz as tech. info from ADAM says? I read review (was it the Mix?) where the reviewer took S2As to the unechoic chamber and measured the freq. response and they rolled off well before 35Hz they should deliver at -3dB. It was something like 55Hz... wow this is big difference!

From my short exp with S3A they had nice deep&tight bass, but I'm not so sure now. Anyone tested how low can S3A go?
Old 15th January 2004
Zed
Gear Head

I have tested the S2A's with and without the Sub P. Yes after I spent messing with the Xover settings and the placment of the Sub P for hours I could finally here the clearer lower mids not just the added UUmpf at the bottom. It was tighter also. In my case it worked placing the Sub P on a stand in the middle of the stereo field, slightly lower than the main speakers. I went by the human physics and experimented so that the Sub P driver was in line with my chest and AMAZINGLY it worked quite well. Even at the low levels it was a full size, main monitors kinda feel... My control room is on the small side 6m X 4m at most. Great experience... but I felt S2a's were little underpowered, so I ordered S3A's and will see how it goes without the Sub. I'll definitely get in the Sub P as well just to see what happens. Yes it sounds about right that S2A's will start rolling of about 50 HZ or so... Still great sounding dough...
Now will somebody please design the E.V.E to go with my ADAMssss....
Old 15th January 2004
Zed
Gear Head

P.S.
Rep man sorry for using the same Avatar as you but couldn't find anything else...tutt tutt ... will look into it at some point...
Old 16th January 2004
Gear nut

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I get quite a bit of bass from the S3A's and they sound great in that regard. I'd just like the option of checking what my mixes would sound like with that stronger oomph (albeit hyped bass) you get with some car stereos or stereos with a subwoofer.

I just wish the ADAM subs had a bypass via remote. That seems like it would be so handy.

Has anyone compared the ADAM sub to velodyne, Rel, or Bag End?

Thanks,
John
Old 16th January 2004
Rep
Lives for gear

I Had the Yamaha sub, ..too flabby.
tried the bag end, Mackie, ...tried a few.
I ended up spending a few extra monies, and got the 15 inch Velodyne.
the sound was precise and thumped , down to 16 HZ.
Veoldyne is king, ... haven't tried the over priced Adam sub.
If I were you I would just get bigger monitors,
too many People "boo" the sub idea with verbal babble, how bad it is, ect...
2k sub with 5k monitors = 7k ... I would spend else were
Same Price as these ; http://barefootsound.com/mm12.htm
Old 16th January 2004
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Zed
P.S.
Rep man sorry for using the same Avatar as you but couldn't find anything else...tutt tutt ... will look into it at some point...
Its all good...

Keep it, Its one of the best looking ones...
I am sure that some others have it too, before I had it too
Old 16th January 2004
Gear nut

Thanks Rep. I've already ordered my S3A's. I would have been curious to compare them to the S4V's but there was no way for me to facilitate that. Besides, from what I've read, the S4V's aren't necessarily as great for rock as are the S3A's and S5's. Whether or not that's true for me, I know I like the S3A's a lot. So maintaining that sound with some optional oomph could be cool. I may be able to compare an 18" Velodyne to one of the ADAM subs in the near future. We'll see.

Thanks,
John
Old 16th January 2004
Zed
Gear Head

Quote:
Its all good...

Keep it, Its one of the best looking ones...
I am sure that some others have it too, before I had it too

Thanks Rep, yes it's one that I tought looked OK...
Stay cool !
Old 18th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Rep
...tried the bag end, Mackie, ...tried a few.
I ended up spending a few extra monies, and got the 15 inch Velodyne.
the sound was precise and thumped , down to 16 HZ.
Veoldyne is king, ... haven't tried the over priced Adam sub.
Hey Rep,

Which bagend did you try? What were your observations? I ask, as I've been contemplating adding a sub to our S3As, and was thinking bagend was the way to go...

Thanks!
Old 18th January 2004
There is only one

velodyne rocks the bottom like no other.
Old 18th January 2004
Gear nut

alpha,

Have you compared a Velodyne sub to an ADAM sub?
Old 18th January 2004
There is only one

never heard the ADAM sub1... but i dont think there is a whole lot of importance keeping them from the same company... i have put the velodyne up against a slew of other subs and it always won.
Old 19th January 2004
Gear nut

Quote:
never heard the ADAM sub1... but i dont think there is a whole lot of importance keeping them from the same company... i have put the velodyne up against a slew of other subs and it always won.
That's cool. I've always liked Velodyne. I'm very curious as to how you specifically hooked your sub up to your ADAMs.

Thanks for the info,
John
Old 15th June 2004
Gear interested

Old 16th June 2004
Lives for gear

I have used a bunch of velodynes and like most of them (save the circuit city budget models). I have since compared the sunfire sub (which could shake concrete but was too one notey for me) and ended up buying a Linn Sizmik sub. It is the most musical sub I have heard. I can make it distort on a big movie scene but never in music. I have also listened to the HSU tube type subs(similar to svs from my understanding) which sounded good but were hard to place. Mind you this sub is coupled with martin logan mains in my mastering room. It blends great with the electrostats.

I mix on s3a's and agree that I dont feel the bass as much but I hear it so well my mixes translate great without it.
Frost
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search