Login / Register

S/PDIF Optical to AES Converters & Quality…
New Reply
Subscribe
NickH
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Gear nut

S/PDIF Optical to AES Converters & Quality…

Hi Folks,

I am looking at getting a Optical S/PDIF to AES Converter, there seems to be a few on the market but I have a question…

Will these converters change the audio in anyway or are they a true 1:1 copy?

If they are, can I just get a cheap converter say the M-Audio CO3 or even the Behringer Ultramatch ‘Pro’ SRC2496? Any other good suggestions?

It’s to go between A M-Audio Transit & a Apogee Rosetta 800 so I can track single channel sources on location on my laptop without dragging my bigger Digi dongle…

Many Thanks

Nick
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Gear nut

Bump in case somone might know
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
Hi Folks,

I am looking at getting a Optical S/PDIF to AES Converter, there seems to be a few on the market but I have a question…

If they are, can I just get a cheap converter say the M-Audio CO3 or even the Behringer Ultramatch ‘Pro’ SRC2496? Any other good suggestions?

It’s to go between A M-Audio Transit & a Apogee Rosetta 800 so I can track single channel sources on location on my laptop without dragging my bigger Digi dongle…

Many Thanks

Nick

If you want a bittransparent device (a clone) use the CO3 or equivalent.
The Behringer SRC is a Sample Rate Converter, that one will make a digital copy.
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

I've had some experience with converters designed to change various digital protocols as you've mentioned. They perform faithfully for the most part. However, I had had a few problems with issues regarding digital sync and these types of devices. This usually results in sporadic pops or clicks in the audio. I've experienced issues like this even when using expensive digital cable to connect such converters. For the most part they're great if you really need them. It may simply take a little finesse to work all the kinks out. Personally, I've gone the route of using the connections on my expensive AD/DA converters to do all my digital routing. I was tired of "rolling the dice" with the units I had. I encountered most of the trouble with light pipe and SPDIF. Hope this helps.
NickH
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Gear nut

Well it looks like M-Audio have discontinued the CO3

Any other suggestions of a unit for around the same price?

N
NickH
30th December 2006
Old 30th December 2006
Gear nut

It looks like the Hosa ODL-312

Hosa ODL-312 Link

Might do the job, anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers

N
NickH
8th January 2007
Old 8th January 2007
Gear nut

bump
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Nick
A good format converter is bit transparent. There are good ones from Lake People or Mutec and RME I know. but there are probably a lot more good ones out there. don´t know the Behringer or M-Audio.
NickH
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Gear nut

Well I ordered the Hosa ODL-312 in the end, despite what the website say’s it supports 24bit up to 96k (according to the tech guy at Hosa) it’s currently in UK customs (I bought it in the US) & when they have finished searching it & adding huge (& seemingly random) amounts of duty I should have it delivered in the next couple of days… at which point I will do a full report & post it up here in this thread, so anyone else looking for a similar item has some info…

Cheers

Nick
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I ordered the Hosa ODL-312 in the end, despite what the website say’s it supports 24bit up to 96k (according to the tech guy at Hosa) it’s currently in UK customs (I bought it in the US) & when they have finished searching it & adding huge (& seemingly random) amounts of duty I should have it delivered in the next couple of days… at which point I will do a full report & post it up here in this thread, so anyone else looking for a similar item has some info…

Cheers

Nick
I have an ODL-312, and I was told by the techs at Hosa about 2 months ago that it really only passes 16 bits, no matter what the Hosa website says.

At that time I was going to get another one, and then I saw on the Sweetwater site that it was 16 bits max. So, being confused, I called Hosa to get to the bottom of it.
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
I have an ODL-312, and I was told by the techs at Hosa about 2 months ago that it really only passes 16 bits, no matter what the Hosa website says.

At that time I was going to get another one, and then I saw on the Sweetwater site that it was 16 bits max. So, being confused, I called Hosa to get to the bottom of it.
I have two seperate emails from hosa tech saying that it can do true 24bit 96k... the website says its 16bit 48k, but they have confirmed that the site is wrong & is down on the list (well down on the list, I am guessing...) to be updated...

Have you actually tested the unit for true 24bit yourself?

It would be quite quick to do...

Cheers

N
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

I've been wondering about this exact scenario as well. Please update us on how it turns out.
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Synth80s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16/44.1 View Post
The Behringer SRC is a Sample Rate Converter, that one will make a digital copy.
Imagine that: a Behringer device that makes a copy of something. Is this the same device they use to lead their product development and engineering (ha!) efforts?

-Synth80s
NickH
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsisband View Post
I've been wondering about this exact scenario as well. Please update us on how it turns out.
Well it appears the Hosa ODL-312 is bit transparent up to 24bit 96K which is a good thing…

This is assuming that my testing method is correct & truly tests the unit up to 24bit, I will outline my test procedure below so that anyone with more knowledge in this area can check to see if my test was valid… (please do btw, I really want to know)

I created a 24bit 96k session in Pro Tools.
Created a stereo 30 second 0.0db test tone using signal generator containing 10 seconds of Pink Noise, 5 seconds of White Noise and 15 seconds of Sine Wav running from 20Hz through to 20,000Hz

Sent the test tone out of the Optical S/PDIF into the Hosa ODL-312 IN
Attached a loopback AES cable between AES IN//OUT on the Hosa ODL-312
Attached the Hosa’s ODL-312 Optical S/PDIF OUT to the Pro Tools Optical S/PDIF IN.

I recorded the returning signal into a new track

Flipped the polarity (phase if you prefer…) & compensated for the delay…

The two tracks when played together null completely.

Also carried out the test at 24bit 48k with the same results…

Cheers

Nick
25th January 2007
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

I guess that sounds right.

I did not realize that device only does optical spdif, not TOSLINK.

I was hoping to convert the SPDIF or AES out of my A2D to TOSLINK, to connect to my 9652. (and free up my RCA SPDIF in) Any way to do that for cheap?

Even better of course would be the ability to route in 6 other channels into one lightpipe, but I think that would require something expensive like a Z systems bay.
25th January 2007
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Gear interested

Monarchy Audio makes a product for audiophiles that takes a 16 bit signal and converts it as well as upsamples to 24/96 if you want it. It's called a DIP 'Digital Interface Processor' It works and sounds good. It's been around for over 10 years. It's between $200 and $300, they run specials a lot on it.

Monarchy Audio
13th December 2010
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to youngpeluso
Might be a dead topic...but anyone used the Lake People C430?

Lake People
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search