Green Bullet - amp style drive without the amp
Old 27th December 2006
Gear nut

Green Bullet - amp style drive without the amp

I have a Shure green bullet microphone with a jack on the end (an old roadie changed the XLR to jack it to go into an guitar amp).

I'm looking to get a distored sound for vocals but of course when I plug it into a stomp box it sounds like poo (impedence mismatch I guess). So I need some sort of preamp if I want to avoid lugging/buying another amp.

ideally I'd like a cheapish single unit that would allow me to tweak the gain and get a good vocal sound through it (think The The etc)..

The ART series has a preamp that is around 40quid which might do (impedence match) but can anyone think of any other options?

I'm thinking the chain will be

Green Bullet -> ??? - > multi FX unit

It's for live work but it still needs to be legible and sound nice!

Many thanks - hope the slutz out there had a good crimbo.
Drongomala
Old 27th December 2006
Gear nut

oh yeah - rack solutions not wanted cos I need it to sit on the floor or on a table near me on stage...

thanks
Old 28th December 2006
Gear nut

hi thanks for replying ArtGarceau

it came with an XLR from the factory and the sound engineer fella bunged a 1/4 inch on it which then went to an amp...

the mic doesn't have a volume connector - never seena green bullet that does....or any mic for that matter....do you mean the volume when connected to a PA?

bit confused on your answer for this..I'm a software guy really and electrics freak me out...

can you rephrase or anyone else want to have a pop?

cheers
Drongomala
Old 29th December 2006
Gear nut

So it looks like I have the Mexican version (no really)...without the volume control.

I've had the mic around 12 years so it's not the new DX one or whatever.

Check the daddy site on this issue : www.greenbulletmics.com

So same question for the Mexicano wan gringo's.

Thanks
Drongomala
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

well, i suppose it depends, then , on the impedence of the mic. what you probably want to do is, i guess, buy a microphone preamp and have an xlr end resoldered onto the cable and plug that, sending a line signal to the p.a. if you're harping into it, though, you're never going to get that gritty sound it sounds like you're after, it's going to be like just another microphone, but easier to hold.
Old 31st December 2006
Gear nut

really? - it's exactly that gritty sound i want - for both the vocals and harp...

why would I lose the sound if I put it through a preamp (via an XLR) - shouldn't the preamp gain and impedence match "milk the mike" and extract it's character i.e. the gritty broke bluesy sound inherent in the mic design?

I'm proper confused on this one. sorry if I'm missing some obvious thing - I need my brain to understand it though...

thanks

drongomala
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Green bullet sound

To my ear, the signature sound of the Green bullet is for it to be 1/4" plugged into a small amp that is turned up all the way-- Champ, Princeton, Mini Cat, etc. This makes for a unique harmonica amplification as well as very interesting vocals. I don't see how one would get the signature sound without making a low wattage amp and speaker breakup. That being said there is nothing illegal about experimenting.

If I had one that already had an XLR (low impedance) I think that I would try running it through some type of amp modeling plugin.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear nut

seems like it's only the small amp that does the trick....spent a good bit of time with a bullet, vocal and amp this weekend and it's a no brainer.....shame though cos it forces me to have two amps for live....boo..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search