Best guitar cables?
New Reply
Subscribe
dtucker
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Gear maniac

Best guitar cables?

I know this is subjective and I'll get many different responses but....

Who makes the BEST guitar cables? Please, if you can, elaborate on your experiences and what led you to your opinion.

THANKS!
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Deleted User

You do.

75 ohm coax cable. 2 1/4" connectors. Some solder. An iron. You're all set. Coax cable is great for reducing airborn interferance.
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
I switched to vovox recently...LOVE them. Use them on all my pedal/lap steels.
that company is going to come into its own..they are fantastic.

www.vovox.ch

http://www.last.fm/user/TeddyBullard/
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Allesandro makes the best guitar cables. We have tried them all.
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker View Post
I know this is subjective and I'll get many different responses but....

Who makes the BEST guitar cables? Please, if you can, elaborate on your experiences and what led you to your opinion.

THANKS!

George Ls are a lot of peoples favorite for guitar. I wouldnt use on bass guitar.
Do a blind test with any cable against a George L and see what you pick!
I do this with other players 9 out of 10 choose George Ls. Even Eric Johnson uses them
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Have you tried vovox bud? You can try mine if you want. Ive tried em all too, from 20 bucks a cable to 1200 a cable...the vovox won me over instantly.
dtucker
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You do.

75 ohm coax cable. 2 1/4" connectors. Some solder. An iron. You're all set. Coax cable is great for reducing airborn interferance.
Wouldn't that be a little too thick...not to mention not very flexible?

Does anyone here (other than Thumper) use this?
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
High End Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

George Ls, works for me.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
Have you tried vovox bud? You can try mine if you want. Ive tried em all too, from 20 bucks a cable to 1200 a cable...the vovox won me over instantly.
Thanks! I tried them too, I preferred the Alessandro cable. You can try some of my Alessandro cables, we have a lot of them here. Let me know in a PM if you want. Did you cross the pond yet??
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear nut

I have a very cool Bigsby (repro) guitar that looks and sounds great, but the guitar can be very noisey on stage. Right now I'm using the thicker George L cable (I noticed a big sound difference from the thinner ones), but I'd like a cable that could sound good and keep noise to an absolute minnimum. I realize that the root of the problem is the guitar itself - ideally, I'd have the pu's potted, the guitar sheilded, etc...The pickups are microphonic and have metal covers. The guitar sounds great at low volume (just like Grady Martin's), but when I get cranking there is some noise/interferance I'd like to reduce without altering the guitar.

Perhaps the right cable could reduce the noise enough to keep me happy? Any ideas?
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
George Ls, works for me.
I use them as well.

One of my friends swears by the Zaolla cables but I've yet to try one.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabler View Post
George Ls are a lot of peoples favorite for guitar. I wouldnt use on bass guitar.
Do a blind test with any cable against a George L and see what you pick!
I do this with other players 9 out of 10 choose George Ls. Even Eric Johnson uses them
george L's 155 (thinner style) with the brass ends!!! good stuff. i have my intire rig wired up in this stuff and a i carry around a couple of extra ends and some bare cable just in case i want to try something new.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Zaolla here. Solid as a rock.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Love these threads. They should all be titled "list the top 20 or so ____ "
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

this is going to sound weird but i am serious and you should try it before you knock it....monster KEYBOARD cable. It really sounds amazing on guitar and i've amde a believer out of a few.

ej
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Guru

Monster, Gold $50 a pop
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

George Ls. And I had no more trouble with dropouts and loose connections since I bought their cable checker.

A buffer amp like an MXR Micro Amp or a Z.Vex Super Hard-on is really the best way to keep coloration added by the cable at minimum for passive PUs. Especially if you use effect pedals.

http://www.doorknocker.ch/
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

George L's here. And I have an old Spectraflex that looks like it came out of an old hoover or something. Bought it for live work but quite like the 'solidity' it seem to have - especially on bass.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Different brands here. Some years ago i got a tip from an 'old jazz cat'. He used VandenHul the Integrationcable for his archtop guitar to give it a more warm sound.
I fell in love with that tone and now have some vdH in the closet.

Henk
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

Van Den Hul D-102 III Hybrid is the best sound I've heard. They really do make amazing cables. George L's aren't my favourite, way too stiff. I do like Mogami, Belden and Tasker C198.

Coax is not my choice, cause most have wrap around shielding which cause noise/crackling.

But.... for road (and even studio!) use I prefer a good but simple buffer inside the jack which goes into my guitar. After that the cable is less critical. The easy buffer "design" can be found on my site.

With some additional resistors it can be made even more stable in difficult areas. I really love the sound of the buffer with BF245 transistors. The sound is crystal clear with great attack, depth and a nice gritty top end. Works great even on active bass guitars!

Maarten
www.tubefreak.com
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

George L is all I use. I don't like their ends though. I use Neutrik or Switchcraft ends and I solder them which is a REAL pain, but worth it for the reliability.

I have tried everything and nothing sounds as good as George L to my ear.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Well, they better be for that kind of $$!! Just went to their site. Wow.

Do you use the ultra-super-expensive ones or just their standard model?
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Truth

Thread is a little old, but I've been researching this lately and thought I'd share my findings.

Basically, all the high-end cables seem to be variations on coax originally designed for industrial/commercial applications and these guys research the specs and pick out the type of cable (or variation) they wish to hawk. Then all they have to do is come up with marketing "voodoo" language to sell it off as Magic Tone Cable specifically designed for guitar purposes. Rubbish! The low capacitence and extra shielding are part and parcel of coax cable design. You can compare the specs on the any instrument (or other) cable and then go through a "wire factory" catalogue (like Belden) and find a million variations of this cable with the same specs. And even better....think about it... why is it this "high-end" cable is almost always terminated by a commonly found $3 plug? I'm suprised Neutrik hasn't jumped on board and offered these guys custom branded plugs to market as a $100 add-on... They either have a conscious or probably don't think enough people are stupid enough to buy into it...

Now I should mention I'm not saying to not waste your money on *some* of this stuff.... most of us aren't dealers so our access to some of these raw coax cable variations will be limited at best. While I guess you could argue that we're paying for these guys to research the best combination of coax features to fit our needs as guitarists, I think the marketing speak and terminology in the language they use is just a smoke-screen to overcharge customers for simple materials which cost them pennies.

Anyway, my next step is to see how hard it is to locate some of the more flexible coax variations in limited quanity. But for off-stage use, I believe Thumper is onto something about the 75 ohm coax. Not as flexible, but probably fine for sitting or standing in the control room. Belden 8241 looks like an option to try out...
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

PS. For those who don't like the "sparkle" of low capacitance coax cable, Conquest seems to make an excellent high impedence cable for low cost. I recently researched their specs and found them to be low capacitance (35 pf/ft, I believe. Better than Mogami or Belden) with 90% shielding. This would explain why I recently found a 25 ft Conquest matched/slightly edged out a 10ft Belden 9778 cable in clarity (both had Switchcraft plugs, BTW).
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

I love those old 70s curly cables - they sound TERRIBLE but they look so cool. Especially when they are not quite long enough to reach the ground.

(I'm probably alone in that opinion !)
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
I love those old 70s curly cables - they sound TERRIBLE but they look so cool. Especially when they are not quite long enough to reach the ground.

(I'm probably alone in that opinion !)
They worked for Hendrix and Blackmore, though!
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

$1200 for a cable T. Ray? No offense here Bro, but you HAVE to elaborate on that. You can buy a vintage guitar for that. There has to be more to that story. Please tell me that there is more to that story. And for now....don't tell anyone else that story.

I have to tell you. This subject is one of the most stupid topics EVER covered here. The sound of a guitar cable? Ridiculous. So we've gotten to point where you take a "62 Strat, plug it into a vintage Plexi and say "Man! Listen to that Vovox cable!" The only reason why any guitarist would ever think twice about which CABLE is between his guitar and amp is that he's an idiot, or some "boutique" cable company gave him a crapload of them to say their name backstage. I chuckle even saying the words "boutique guitar cable."

Seriously guys, if it connects your guitar and doesn't crackle, it's done it's job. If you talk about the EQ of a cable, the "silky high end and full mids," to me and to the rest of the professional guitarists out there, you sound like a fool.

Seriously, this has to stop. I understand that this is gearslutz and all. But there are plenty of things that we can obsess about. Pres, Mics, effects etc. I hear that. But we have to get to a point where something is good enough even if it doesn't cost a crapload. Next, we'll get into heated arguments about what brand of tortise shell picks are the best. "I only use Tortetech picks. They're $42 each, and they breakdown the same as the $.12 fender ones, but they have the sweetest midrange attack you've ever heard."

I don't know guys. Just my thoughts.
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sound of a guitar cable? Ridiculous.
Knee-jerk post there, reddog. Read here: http://www.harmony-central.com/artic.../guitar_cords/

The high-end cable you read about uses low capacitance coaxcable to achievce a brighter high-end to the guitar sound than you can achieve with standard instrument cable. But yes, charging more than $50 for a guitar cable should be a crime.
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

George L's doesn't work for me. I use Klotz.
But Vovox seems interesting to me thumbsup

ruudman

Noma Children Hospital Sokoto
5th October 2006
Old 5th October 2006
Lives for gear

update:

Seems you can find the cable (or identical version) of it to any of these brands (Klotz, Zaolla, etc) in the Belden online catalogue. Markertek.com prices these cables for about $1 /ft., BUT for the good stuff (flex cable/stranded with braided shield), you need to buy in bulk. - Min 500 ft (around $500). Don't forget the Neutriks!

Great deal for the DIY types who need a lot of cable. But most of us will probably bend over for a hyped-up pre-made jobbie.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search