Which amp head should I get?
Old 7th May 2013
Gear interested

Which amp head should I get?

So I'm in a Progressive metal band, taking influence from bands like Meshuggah, Tool, Opeth etc and I'm currently looking at buying my first head, I've got an australian made cab from a friend of mine and I've narrowed down my head choices to a few different heads. These are

Diezel VH4
Diezel Herbert
Engl Special Edition E670 EL34

I need something versatile for my band. We have been writing sections that need nice chunky brutal tones and screaming high gain as well as sparkling clean tones and some nice smooth jazz tones as well.

Preferably all in the one amp or as close to those as possible, I don't have a huge amount of cash to buy multiple heads so I don't want any comments telling me to buy 2 or more different heads because I can't.

Thanks for any info you guys have
Old 8th May 2013
Gear addict

Have alook into the blackstar series 1 50watt head, its got all those and you'll save some cash for beer!

EDIT - Im not sure if you are australian but also look into the MI audio megalith, its an amp i have been chasing for years.
Old 8th May 2013
TML
Lives for gear

Leave the diesel alone. They make good products but there's such limited sales and support in the us you'll be kickin yourself. My metal bands use peavey 5150/6505. Bogner. Sold amp slo and vht/fryette. My 2 cts.
Tim.
Old 8th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
Have alook into the blackstar series 1 50watt head, its got all those and you'll save some cash for beer!

EDIT - Im not sure if you are australian but also look into the MI audio megalith, its an amp i have been chasing for years.
Yeh thanks I'll have a look at the blackstar, Yeh I am Australian living in Queensland, and the cab I'm getting off my mate is an MI audio megalith slanted 4x12

Edit - Why the 50w blackstar in particular as opposed to the 100w or 200w?

Last edited by Aethereus; 8th May 2013 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Needed to add more
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Head

It is a huge distance from the amps you mentioned and a blackstar. Imo the channel 3 of the VH4 alone is worth its price and if you play prog metal and want a versatile amp that covers those bands sound definitely check the Diezel VH4, maybe consider the Hagen as well.
My last advice is: try for yourself. Often what it sounds wonders for many sounds not so good for others...
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

The Diezels are cool but they are so expensive that there is no way I would take one over an Ecstasy.

Any situation where you will need a 100 watt head you will probably be micing it up anyways, so I'd personally rather have a smaller cranked Dr.Z or Bad Cat that doesn't weigh 200 pounds.
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

If you buy a high end 4 channel amp, you won't need multiple amp heads. So I would go for the VH4. How do Mesa Boogie prices compare to Diezel prices in Aus? The Roadster is another great 4 channel amp. The Road King is fantastic but you have to be clinically insane in order to operate it!
Old 17th May 2013
Gear nut
Meshuggah are using AxeFx for all their live stuff now. Why not get one of them and a power amp?
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

first off, there is no amp that does it all "perfectly", which corners you cut is up to you! the diezels are high gain monsters, their clean channels (i´ve heard the vh4, herbert and einstein) are definately not comparable with a vox or a fender. so you will have to go out and try a few amps!
about 10 years ago i was in the same situation as you, needed an amp which could cover a lot of grounds, very different sounds and fx via footswitch. i got myself a mesa triaxis, a mesa 50/50 and a boss multi-fx, all midi control. worked like a charm on the stage. BUT it didn´t sound as good as a rectifier head, a vox, a fender...
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethereus View Post
So I'm in a Progressive metal band, taking influence from bands like Meshuggah, Tool, Opeth etc and I'm currently looking at buying my first head, I've got an australian made cab from a friend of mine and I've narrowed down my head choices to a few different heads. These are

Diezel VH4
Diezel Herbert
Engl Special Edition E670 EL34

I need something versatile for my band. We have been writing sections that need nice chunky brutal tones and screaming high gain as well as sparkling clean tones and some nice smooth jazz tones as well.

Preferably all in the one amp or as close to those as possible, I don't have a huge amount of cash to buy multiple heads so I don't want any comments telling me to buy 2 or more different heads because I can't.

Thanks for any info you guys have
I know this is an old thread, but just for the sake of those who might read it, all three of those bands used a Mesa Dual Rectifier in some form or another on what I'd consider their best albums. (DEI/Chaosphere, Ænima, Deliverance). So that's what I would have recommended.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search