Describing tone: tweed deluxe vs. champ : breakup vs. kazoo
New Reply
Subscribe
CrankyChris
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear addict

Describing tone: tweed deluxe vs. champ : breakup vs. kazoo

Please bear with me: I love 5e3s. They rule. In some situations though, they may be too loud before breaking up. People have suggested a tweed champ as an even lower wattage alternative.

But to me there is a significant difference in tone in the two amps. To me the champ seems to be clean...then it just rolls over into being over-driven without a fight. It goes from clean to kazoo really fast. There's not much in between.

The tweed deluxe however seems to fight against being fully over-driven. It doesn't just roll over to kazoo tone. There is a long range where the break-up becomes greater as the amp is pushed harder. The tweed deluxe puts up more of a fight. It seems much more intense/powerful (and I'm not talking volume or wattage) .

Am I crazy? Am I full of it? Is this just part of the difference in wattage? or is there a real difference? Anyone?
26th April 2013
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to litepipe
I'm betting the transformer has something to do with it? Not sure but I notice that too. You can get some great tones out of the tweed champ. The thing is there is no real substitute for a larger amp cranked. Not better or worse just different headroom.
26th April 2013
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to litepipe
I've been using a Barber eq pedal with my tweed champ lately and I think it helps a bit. The tweed champs are a bit dark by nature. The eq brightens it up and seems to allow me to hear more detail before kazoo.
CrankyChris
26th April 2013
Old 26th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
....The eq brightens it up and seems to allow me to hear more detail before kazoo.
Interesting suggestion. I also saw Victoria makes one with a 12 inch speaker. I wonder if that might limit the kazoo effect.
Hmmmm
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search