Stereo reverb pedal same as a/b box?
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

Stereo reverb pedal same as a/b box?

I use my hall of fame stereo reverb pedal on most every guitar track I record but mono. I'd like to use two amps simultaneously for recording. Is the stereo out on the reverb pedal essentially the same as an a/b out box but with reverb? If I dial down reverb levels will I still get an even a/b out?...I have a few pedals before the reverb as well like od and dist.
Old 27th April 2013
Gear interested

Sounds like for your purposes, yes. More accurately, you seem to want the "y" part of an a/b/y box. a = amp 1, b = amp 2, y = both
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Usually the reverb goes in the loop and you can split the 2 ins and outs with two amp loops for stereo.
To properly manage two amps and split the signal I use a passive Radial ABY which has an isolation transformer in it to properly separate the two amps and kill and ground loop hum, it also has ground lift and 180 phase reverse if one of the amps is out of phase with the other. Only like $80 requires no power.
Far as I know the tc pedals are not equipped to properly split to two amps but work fine in amp loops. You might try toggling the pedals internal buffer mode which will help.
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

You are probably still going to have a grounding issue. Depends on the pedal and the amp.
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

My 2 amps are identical which I have run both stereo loops and abY split box with no issues. That is why you need a quality ABY which has an isolation transformer, phase reverse, and ground lift, most of them have these.
Spitting amps off a stereo pedal out sometimes works sometimes not.
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
My 2 amps are identical which I have run both stereo loops and abY split box with no issues. That is why you need a quality ABY which has an isolation transformer, phase reverse, and ground lift, most of them have these.
Spitting amps off a stereo pedal out sometimes works sometimes not.
Good advise. If you are going to do this, get an ABY pedal. Even a good DI box with a ground option does not solve the problem many a time.
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

You can find yourself having two different amps that are out of phase with each other and that sounds thin and lean when they are together. A slight toggle flip and that is resolved. The Radial I use is passive and true bypass, they make a better model with LEDs and buffered platform.

I run a stereo effects rig and you have to realize stereo is of little use till you get to the delay and reverb downstream. If you want to run 2 amps and the option of one or the other or both, the ABY is only way to go.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search