Bass cab advice
New Reply
Subscribe
holdmyfinger
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Gear addict

Bass cab advice

I've always played guitar live but I've now recently started playing bass with a band for a new challenge. I've always had a bass for recording at home but I now need to buy a live bass rig. I've been offered two 10 year old cabs, 2x10 with tweeter and a 1x15 by Trace Elliot for £260 total. I tried them out but I couldn't turn the volume up loud unfortunately due to neighbors next door. With them being really old they are fairly heavy at 25kg and 35kg, but seem fairly cheap!!

Does anyone have any advice on speakers cabs? I'm aware cabs have changed quite a lot over the years, much lighter etc. Is it a good idea to mix 10 and 15 speakers. In theory it sounds good to get the low end from the 15 and more clarity from the 10s. In reality is that the case? It will be for a fairly standard rock band, foo fighters sort of sound I guess.
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear maniac

Look at the fearfuls. Greenboy audio. Loud, light, defined. Awesome. Owned 3 and still own one (downsized a bit).
28th April 2013
Old 28th April 2013
Gear nut

A 2x10/1x15 arrangement might not cut it with a rock band if you're fighting with a noisy guitarist. Also, check if there's any passive high pass filters in the 2x10. 10" drivers don't enjoy the lower end of a bass guitar, and definitely not 5 string (if you have one). You'd need to be careful what amplifier you drove them with.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search