Need a third amp
New Reply
Subscribe
evilrocker
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013
Gear addict

Need a third amp

I have a jmp -79 Master volume 100w and a 6505, and i need another head for modern punk/rock/metal tone. But all the amps i find interesting costs a fortune, e.g Rivera KR100, bogner extacy. Are there other candidates with aprox same price level as 6505, or maybe a little higher?
24th April 2013
Old 24th April 2013

How 'bout Blackstar S-1 - the one with 6L6 tubes?

The 200 watter is probably overkill but it does sound "metal"

I really like the EL34 50 watter!
::
twitter > http://twitter.com/mitchellmusic - http://www.twitter.com/theyardbirds
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

Used Fender Bassman head. Handwired, 50 watts, easy for people to work on and you can make them scream stock or slightly modded. Silverface are cheaper and still work fine.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
evilrocker
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Used Fender Bassman head. Handwired, 50 watts, easy for people to work on and you can make them scream stock or slightly modded. Silverface are cheaper and still work fine.
Fender for metal?? Seriously?
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

Do you need the amp for recording or for gigs?
In case of recording, how about an amp with lower wattage, like a THD univalve? Swap tubes for different tones and you're good.
Doesn't the Peavey do a decent metal tone?
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
evilrocker
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Do you need the amp for recording or for gigs?
In case of recording, how about an amp with lower wattage, like a THD univalve? Swap tubes for different tones and you're good.
Doesn't the Peavey do a decent metal tone?
Mostly for recording but it doesn't hur if it is gig-able

Yes the Peavey does a fine job, but would be nice to have a similar
but different tone to put in the other speaker.

I find the jmp too grainy and too ac/dc-ish sometimes...
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

The Jet City JCA 100HDM is a great Soldano-ish amp and the Bugera 333XL is another great high gain head for cheap.
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Mostly for recording but it doesn't hur if it is gig-able

Yes the Peavey does a fine job, but would be nice to have a similar
but different tone to put in the other speaker.

I find the jmp too grainy and too ac/dc-ish sometimes...
Hit the JMP with a tube screamer. Max the level, only a touch of drive. It'll get you to higher gain territory nicely.

For a third amp, I'd recommend the Laney GH50 head. It's in the Marshall tone territory, but with more gain and a killer crunch. It's very bright, so pair it with a dark cab and you're golden, pony boy. It can also be dialed in for a very nice clean tone if you need that too.
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Modern Punk and rock were listed first, which is what caught my eye - didn't even really see metal. That being said, OP already has a 6505 so yes a Fender would be different than the others, but at under $600 used I wouldn't discount it.
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plus a lot of metal players like their sparkly cleans. I know I've seen a bunch of threads asking "what amp has Fender cleans and Marshal dirt". The answer is a Fender and a Marshall using a A/B pedal. Also, since they make such good pedal platforms, they're great for those guys who prefer to just run a clean amp with heavy distortion pedals.

The Mesa Dual Rec is always a popular choice. You might be able to find a used one that comes within budget.
evilrocker
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Gear addict

I will try my jmp with my TS, thx.

Arent those rectifiers hard to dial in?
28th April 2013
Old 28th April 2013
Gear maniac

The rectos are only hard to dial in if you expect the controls to work the same as the Marshall.

Use your ears instead of your eyes while you turn the knobs and you'll be all good.
29th April 2013
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

You might be interested in the Blackstar or Egnater lineups, good sounding, modern and not too expensive amplifiers.
evilrocker
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-enough View Post
The rectos are only hard to dial in if you expect the controls to work the same as the Marshall.

Use your ears instead of your eyes while you turn the knobs and you'll be all good.
Yeeh I suppose so but usually when I test a new amp i set all controls straight up (12 o clock) excpet master volume haha... and start there.
And in my experience different marshalls require different settings, my old jmp -79 wouldnt be set up like a jcm 2000....
evilrocker
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
You might be interested in the Blackstar or Egnater lineups, good sounding, modern and not too expensive amplifiers.
Hmm tried both.. didnt impress me too much though
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013

If you find a used Framus Dragon, definitely check it out. The Cobra is more "metal' but the Dragon covers your needs. Great amp also based on the SLO design.

Only negative is they have tons of bottom end, which seems to be common with a lot of those high gain amps.
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013
Gear addict

If you can find... The Friedman modded Jet City amp sounds great and are cheap.

I bought a Peavey JSX some weeks ago, didn't have any expectations but got it dirt cheap. Sounds really great too for heavier music!

I'm also a big fan of amps modded by Tommy Folkesson here in Sweden, have tried and heard his Marshall MK VI mod, Laney Super PA 100 mod, and now latest with the tiny terror. They all sound superb! Search on youtube for clips.
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
If you can find... The Friedman modded Jet City amp sounds great and are cheap.

I bought a Peavey JSX some weeks ago, didn't have any expectations but got it dirt cheap. Sounds really great too for heavier music!

I'm also a big fan of amps modded by Tommy Folkesson here in Sweden, have tried and heard his Marshall MK VI mod, Laney Super PA 100 mod, and now latest with the tiny terror. They all sound superb! Search on youtube for clips.
Yeah I have already made a boost channel mod att folkesson to my jmp, but i dont know about making the class a mod, too much money.
1st May 2013
Old 1st May 2013
Gear nut

I'd say not only the tubescreamer but also get a THD hotplate on that Marshall. I think that combination will get you what your looking for. Iron Maiden/Priest/Gorilla Biscuits can do those sounds. Cheaper than buying a third amp.
evilrocker
1st May 2013
Old 1st May 2013
Gear addict

So would the dual rec be a good partner for the 6505? Are there big differences on the old and new ones? Is a 90's a must?
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

The early Mesa Rectifiers had a different saturated quality to the newer ones but they all deliver a rectifier sound. Personally I like the newer multi watt type. They're punchy and more transparent when driven which suits my taste. A TS boosting the preamp and an EQ in the loop and you're golden.
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear maniac

I'm with cortisol on the recto designs as well; I think the newer amps sound tighter with less fizz on the top end...

If you are looking at the rectos, don't forget to check out the 25-watt mini. It might be a little under powered for giging, but it could be a killer studio amp (and it's a lot lighter on the wallet than the full sized version).

Dave/Suspect Studios

.: Suspect Studios :.
evilrocker
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspects View Post
I'm with cortisol on the recto designs as well; I think the newer amps sound tighter with less fizz on the top end...

If you are looking at the rectos, don't forget to check out the 25-watt mini. It might be a little under powered for giging, but it could be a killer studio amp (and it's a lot lighter on the wallet than the full sized version).

Dave/Suspect Studios

.: Suspect Studios :.
Thx I will check it out, I'm actually going to sell my JMP -79, or is it a keeper? I dont use it much at all...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search