Name some custom guitar builders
MikeHart
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Gear interested

Name some custom guitar builders

Hey everyone,

Can you please list some custom guitar builders that aren't a ton of money.

Thanks
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Whats not a ton of money for you? ie... whats your price range?

AO guitars makes some great guitars for the price. I had some work done by him and visited his shop. His guitars play and sound great.
Attached Thumbnails
Name some custom guitar builders-ao-guitars.jpg  
MikeHart
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Whats not a ton of money for you? ie... whats your price range?

AO guitars makes some great guitars for the price. I had some work done by him and visited his shop. His guitars play and sound great.
No more than $3k
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear nut

Haydn Williams..

You'll go a long way before you find better guitars than Haydn's:

HJ Williams Guitars - Truly musical instruments.

Plus Custom Guitars from the UK are usually about a grand cheaper than their US counterparts, whilst being every bit as good...
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear nut

It might be good to know where you are located.

I know a few in the Netherlands, Germany and the UK.
But if you are not located in Europe, personally, I would not bother.

For me an important part of having your guitar custom built is meeting the guy, smelling his shop, and seeing the half-ready product (see you can still have some input).
MikeHart
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasHermus View Post
It might be good to know where you are located.

I know a few in the Netherlands, Germany and the UK.
But if you are not located in Europe, personally, I would not bother.

For me an important part of having your guitar custom built is meeting the guy, smelling his shop, and seeing the half-ready product (see you can still have some input).
PA USA
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear nut

are you interested in acoustic or electric?
MikeHart
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by decay-o-caster View Post
are you interested in acoustic or electric?
Electric
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

What kind of music do you play? Are you a Gibson or Fender guy?

Do you want a "handmade" guitar, or are you open to some of the custom boutique builders?

While handmade guitars offer uniqueness and more options. You would be hard pressed to find a better guitar maker than Suhr and Anderson. Tom Anderson's guitar team only produces 1 or 2 guitars a day and offers lots of custom options. I own their Anderson Cobra with m-series pups. I have never played a guitar so perfect in regards to sound, action, intonation, and finish.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear nut

i'm a big fan of bill chapin's guitars - i've got a few. everything made from scratch, by hand (except hardware) - not partscasters calling themselves "custom" guitars. you tell bill what you want tonally, he'll find the formula to get you there. his necks are perfect.

also, check out premier builders guild's stuff - very high-end production versions of a lot of custom makers' guitars under one roof.
13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Gear interested

Have heard good things about canadianbreed.com. Good quality and decent prices (~ $1.5k). I recently received a custom build from sweetwoodguitars.com. Those are a little more expensive at about $2.5k. From about $3k up your options are endless. Setneck-models generally cost 15-25% more than a similar quality bolt-on.
13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
What kind of music do you play? Are you a Gibson or Fender guy?

Do you want a "handmade" guitar, or are you open to some of the custom boutique builders?

While handmade guitars offer uniqueness and more options. You would be hard pressed to find a better guitar maker than Suhr and Anderson. Tom Anderson's guitar team only produces 1 or 2 guitars a day and offers lots of custom options. I own their Anderson Cobra with m-series pups. I have never played a guitar so perfect in regards to sound, action, intonation, and finish.
If you go down this road then please also check out Knaggs Guitars... they are made in even smaller numbers than TA and Suhr, and although Joe Knaggs is an ex-PRS designer I'd say his eponymous guitars are a little more vintage inspired than those of his former boss. He's got Fender influenced and Gibson influenced guitars, it just depends what you want. The build quality is immaculate and his ultimate goal is sustain, sustain, sustain, no matter what 'tier' you buy into. They're not inexpensive guitars but compete in similar price brackets to Suhr and Tom Anderson and are worth every penny IMO. I have a Severn, which is his take on his own personal 61 Strat and it's just excellent.
13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Gear nut

Why not google search for luthiers in your area? Sometimes you can find luthiers who aren't necessarily out there promoting their business, but are perfectly capable of building a good guitar.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search