New Reply
Subscribe
alanclare
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Powering Pedals

Help/advice please.

I have 2 guitar pedals that I would like to power of 1 supply.

They are a Boss PN2 which has a power draw of 18ma,
and a Digitech Screamin Blues which has a power draw of 23ma.
The power supply that I have is a Boss PSA-240 200ma.

Will it be safe to use this supply, or do I need a different one?

Many Thanks
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear nut

I have a Voodoo Labs PowerPlus 2, which has an AC outlet on it in addition to 8 jacks for 9v plugs. I run a splitter off of the AC outlet to power two pedals on my board that have weird AC needs.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanclare View Post
Help/advice please.

I have 2 guitar pedals that I would like to power of 1 supply.

They are a Boss PN2 which has a power draw of 18ma,
and a Digitech Screamin Blues which has a power draw of 23ma.
The power supply that I have is a Boss PSA-240 200ma.

Will it be safe to use this supply, or do I need a different one?

Many Thanks
That supply will handle those two pedals without breaking a sweat, just confirm that the polarity on the Digitech pedal is the same as what the power supply is.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Just FYI for knowing in the future.
Voltage is V and miliamps are current mA.

The basic rule of daisy chaining is the sum total of ALL the pedals mA's must be less than the capability of the source supply. Your 200mA supply can easy power the two pedals with much left over.

Since you only have 2 pedals and both are buffered circuits, it is doubtful you will encounter ground loop hum and noise that daisy chaining can often manifest. Some pedals, like Fulltone, are notoriously reactive to daisy chaining.

Basic rule of mA is you can have more but not less than called for by the pedal.

Never run a supply near or at its maximum capacity.

Voltage is a constant, provide the pedal with what the manufacturer states. If it can handle a higher voltage they will tell you in the manual. Never run more voltage than a pedal is rated.

Isolated filtered power supplies are the professional standard. Each supply is isolated from the others reducing the potential for ground loop hum and noise.
Each port will have a voltage and mA range, match that to the pedal, or if you're feeling more tech minded you can combine two ports to up your voltage and mA but be aware, combining two 9v ports not only doubles the mA but also the voltage becomes 18v. Unless you are sure what you are doing do not combine ports. As this is not "daisy chaining" on an isolated brick supply, it is not sharing it is doubling!
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
but be aware, combining two 9v ports not only doubles the mA but also the voltage becomes 18v. Unless you are sure what you are doing do not combine ports. As this is not "daisy chaining" on an isolated brick supply, it is not sharing it is doubling!
I'm pretty sure that depends on how you combine....combining in series doubles voltage, but not mA. Combining in parallel doubles mA, but not voltage.

As far as the OP, I bought a bunch of 1>2 and 1>4 barrel splitters from ebay for about $3 a piece. You just have to try it....you'll be completely safe as far as mA, but as mentioned, some pedals don't like sharing power supplies. I also keep my digital and analog pedals on separate isolated outlets. Currently running 14 pedals off of a single VoodooLab PPII using a bunch of splitters. Only problem I had was my Fulltone Clyde....nasty buzz when daisy chained.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I'm pretty sure that depends on how you combine....combining in series doubles voltage, but not mA. Combining in parallel doubles mA, but not voltage.

As far as the OP, I bought a bunch of 1>2 and 1>4 barrel splitters from ebay for about $3 a piece. You just have to try it....you'll be completely safe as far as mA, but as mentioned, some pedals don't like sharing power supplies. I also keep my digital and analog pedals on separate isolated outlets. Currently running 14 pedals off of a single VoodooLab PPII using a bunch of splitters. Only problem I had was my Fulltone Clyde....nasty buzz when daisy chained.
May be so, I've never tried it, just going by what VoodooLab states in their manual. Not sure how you can rig series or parallel from two sources. Typically that implies from one source you can either wire series or parallel like in speaker wiring. I have no idea how to do such a thing from two sources combining.
They state it doubles the voltage, doubling the mA is of little concern. The typical basic combiner plug only works to one issue, doubling volts. I do not think confusing the issue towards complex wiring Gerry rig helps trying to teach uninformed players on the basic issues of daisy chain and isolated supplies. They do not get the basic much less confusing them on more knowledgeable options. I just use high current or high voltage wart supplies for the ones a brick cannot produce. Everything runs off a Furman, a another thing less experienced players run into is using multiple wall socket sources, that simply provides multiple paths to ground and presto ground loop hum.

Every Fulltone I have had reacted terribly to power supply issues even good ones. Every time I increased the voltage on the Fat Boost to what Fuller claims it can handle the hum got worse. First thing they tell you is "remove the pedal from your chain, use a soldered end cable and a new battery and see of the pedal still hums". This is a test of a pedal??? Of what use could that possibly be? It's because of the customer service and refusal to admit some of the pedals have a noise problem I stopped using Fulltone pedals. I noticed that Robin Trower who uses Fulltone exclusively uses batteries in all his pedals, I thought man that is really old school low tech, then I realized he is just trying to keep the pedals quiet.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
May be so, I've never tried it, just going by what VoodooLab states in their manual. Not sure how you can rig series or parallel from two sources. Typically that implies from one source you can either wire series or parallel like in speaker wiring. I have no idea how to do such a thing from two sources combining.
They state it doubles the voltage, doubling the mA is of little concern. The typical basic combiner plug only works to one issue, doubling volts. I do not think confusing the issue towards complex wiring Gerry rig helps trying to teach uninformed players on the basic issues of daisy chain and isolated supplies. They do not get the basic much less confusing them on more knowledgeable options.
Not sure what you are talking about regarding "gerry rigging".

VoodooLab sells both voltage doubler cables and current doubler cables. and clearly states on their website when they are needed and how to use them.

RE: Voltage Doubler: Commonly used to turn Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 5 and 6 into a single 9V, 500mA power source
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about regarding "gerry rigging".

VoodooLab sells both voltage doubler cables and current doubler cables. and clearly states on their website when they are needed and how to use them.

RE: Voltage Doubler: Commonly used to turn Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 5 and 6 into a single 9V, 500mA power source
News to me, I never really pondered combining ports, don't have enough as it is. I have weird voltage and current pedals that no combination would work out. So I never looked into the deal, just saw what was in the manual.

I am just saying most inexperienced players have no idea what current or voltage is or the difference of mA and V to the pedal. They do not know the difference in daisy chaining or isolated supplies.
I am just trying to provide them the basic rules applying to pedal current and voltage. Most of them do not own a good isolated supply let alone baffle them with combining ports. Every time you try and explain something simple to a player who does not know, here comes the over tech, disagree, confusatron mega minds who just have to know more than someone else and just can't keep anything simple so they can understand step A before jumping to P.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Every time you try and explain something simple to a player who does not know, here comes the over tech, disagree, confusatron mega minds who just have to know more than someone else and just can't keep anything simple so they can understand step A before jumping to P.
I wasn't trying to overtech things. You brought up combining outlets and voltages and mA, and you provided inaccurate info. I simply corrected your statement.
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't trying to overtech things. You brought up combining outlets and voltages and mA, and you provided inaccurate info. I simply corrected your statement.
It was a warning not a how to. Personally not something I would mess with much less I seldom have ports to spare or any combination series or parallel that matches. Sometimes newer players do not care much about power feeds hence the whole daisy chaining thing. They will get a noise floor hiss and then choke it off with a noise gate. I doubt if hardly any of them understand the premise of parallel or series wired speakers much less power supply feeds. But you can bet they will do something really unkosher. And impedance that is another good one.
I just try and offer the basic 101 on things.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search