What to put in the loop of my Laney PL100 reverb
Vintageidiot
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

What to put in the loop of my Laney PL100 reverb

I got ahold of this amp and since I always used Sansamp in the computer I really wanted a real amp since pros suggest it. I love the laney, it has some push pull pots and overdriven sounds great. Now I want to put something in the loop. I own a tc M One XL but use it for conversion for two channels into Protools. Any suggestion, less expensive, that is a single unit that will offer some awesome presets, or one great pedal.. ia m thinking $200 or less, new or used. Someone said Brownie or barber OD SS. Thanks for any help. Will be mic'ing the amp.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Overdrives belong on amp in due to their design and intended use.
The amp loop is for time and modulation. Not knowing what sort of stuf you record or the style. Since you are a studio guy I would suggest the Lexicon M200 which is only like $200 but has the best reverb, nice delays and some modulation presets. The Lexicon reverbs for my tastes are the best for all sorts of uses and this unit can be used in many different ways.
Problem is I believe the unit is designed for balanced TRS and your loop is no doubt unbalanced. Now I believe the unit will accept unbalanced as I remember the manual. The reason I suggest this is because Jeff Beck used a Lexicon for his reverbs on the Live At Ronnie Scott's effort and his tone is glorious.
The M400 can cover a lot of bases, rackmount but it is Lexicon.

A really nice pedal is of course a good delay which is made for the loop.
I use the tc electronic X4 delay/llooper which has so many modes and features as to be perhaps the most optioned delay around. tc just released the beta of their public toneprint editor which allows you to create your own personally designed toneprints, the unit holds 4 of them. The available internal params inside the unit are beyond anything you would imagine in a pedal. Complete control over delay up to 7sec in all modes. Modes are of course just taking the delay line and artfully using its filters and dampening along with various modulations to sound like tape units or pristine 2290 delays. Another choice of Mr. Jeff for delays is an older 2290.
There is a vast array of modulations you can apply to delays, or turn off the delay time line and turn the pedal into a total chorus, flange or vibrato. There are 3 chorus types including a 6 param Tri-chorus, 3 Flangers (I think) and a vibrato.
One can also map the knobs on the unit for any of the params controlling their response curve and limit or range their adjustment effect. Possible to increase feedback w increase delay times or anything you could imagine. Increased and decrease something at the same time on one knob or any of them.
Cool delay.

Personally I am fond of the BBE units and have used them for many years now. There are unbalanced and balanced models depending on application. One guy was running unbalanced into the higher end TRS/XLR unit and complained he did not like the sound. Usually when I read someone disliekd the unit it is because of it not being used right or placed in the right spot. It is not an effect so do not turn the processor up much passed 12:00. Makes anything clean or dirt have more punch an tightness in the low end and clarity in the high. Many mistake these as some equalizer thing and that is just not the deal. Helps to read sometimes.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

The only thing I use in the fx loop is an SIB Echodrive. Even when not using the delay, I leave the pedal on and turn down the delay mix. It just adds a beefiness to any amp.

Be careful what you use. Some fx loops aren't buffered, and can't handle line level rack gear well. At least try it first with your TC unit to make sure you get what you are expecting. You could always pick up a cheap AD converter for your additional inputs and use the TC for your fx loop. I can't imagine a $400 Reverb unit having the greatest converters anyway.
Vintageidiot
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
The only thing I use in the fx loop is an SIB Echodrive. Even when not using the delay, I leave the pedal on and turn down the delay mix. It just adds a beefiness to any amp.

Be careful what you use. Some fx loops aren't buffered, and can't handle line level rack gear well. At least try it first with your TC unit to make sure you get what you are expecting. You could always pick up a cheap AD converter for your additional inputs and use the TC for your fx loop. I can't imagine a $400 Reverb unit having the greatest converters anyway.
Actually the converters in the TC are present in even their high end reverbs and has the ability to go to 24/96, but is limited to 24/48. I am told the screens go out on the TC so I plan on upgrading converters soon anyway.
Vintageidiot
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

I need to find a dedicated rack unit for the loop then. Thanks for the help.
Vintageidiot
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Grabbed a TC Electronics G Major. Out of town purchase so won't get to use it until I return to my gear. Youtube videos convinced me it is a great unit.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search