New Reply
Subscribe
marcgood
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Superego + ??? For Ambient and Pschodelic Sound

Greetings,

I'm picking up a Superego to pair with my Memory Man and Gretsch Corvette style guitar.

My goal is to produce ambient and psychodelic guitar tones.

My question is which types of pedals are needed to complete this effect? I want to pick up an additional pedal(s) to combine with the Memory Man and Superego. My considerations (pick 2):

EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
EHX Polyphase
EHX Flanger Hoax
EHX Cathedral
EHX Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker

Any advice is welcome.
marcgood
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

PS - Any non-EHX pedal suggestions are welcome.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

What about the EHX Epitome...seems like one stop shopping for ambient/psychadelic.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
EHX Polyphase
EHX Flanger Hoax
EHX Cathedral
EHX Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker

Any advice is welcome.
my advice: buy 'em all. no serious, I think for psychedelic stuff you can never have enough pedals. but if you only have a delay and a supergo yet I'd reccomend getting a reverb and some distortion first. Cathedral seems good, because you can select different reverb presets with a footswitch. very handy for ambient stuff.

a fuzz like the muff is also good. place it in front of the superego, play a clean chord, freeze it and then solo over it with fuzz engaged.

I have a superego too, and I have a cheap artec phaser pedal in the ego's fx-loop. The phaser is perfect for it because in the normal fx chain it produces such a huge volume drop if engaged you don't want to use it there anyway It can be set to very extreme settings so you can use it to give the ego's static sounds a little movement but you can also set it to total sonic madness. and yes it's cheap so its a no-brainer to buy it just to place it in the fx-loop of the ego.
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear addict

Stuff which I have putted in the loop of a superego and liked :

Ehx Pog2
Eventide Pitchfactor and modfactor
Subdecay Prometheus dlx
Pigtronix Mothership,
Moog Freqbox, ringmod, clusterflux, phaser, murf, filter
Mad professor tiny orange phaser
Zoom ms100bt
Strymon Mobius

I really like some modulation on the synth signal. Pitchshifters and harmonizers are interresting as well.
marcgood
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Some really good suggestions so far in this thread. By all means keep them coming. I am learning quite a bit.

Reading this I know I will definitely get a distortion pedal (Big Muff) with the Superego. A phaseshifter seems to be the next thing to add.

Recommendations?

The Epitome and Cathedral have a place on my list as well, but those purchases will have to be made late in the year.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

Since you're going with the Ehx thing, then the Small Stone, but my favorit phaser, atm is the Moog. A more pedalboard friendly is the Mad Professor TOP, which is like the perfect Phaser 90.

A third top notch is Strymon Mobius. The phaser, chorus, flanger, rotary, vibe, trems and autoswell is great. It also has the pre/post feature, so you can place it different places in the chain.

Now if we're talking in the loop of the superego, then the most cost efficent thing is the Zoom ms100bt. The superego's got this cheesy Casio thing going, which really needs some enhancing. A multi effect can do wonders, and this one is cheap, small, sounds acceptable and is fun to program.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

I really like the Retrosonic Phaser for the Phase 90 thing, but the Whirlwind Rochester Phaser is good too (supposedly a clone of the original Phase 90).

My favorite phaser for slight phase through totally tripped out wild stuff is the Home Brew Psilocybe.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
A phaseshifter seems to be the next thing to add.

Recommendations?

As I already mentioned: Check out the Artec Vintage Phaser (strictly for using it in the Ego's fx-loop) It's cheap and can do crazy sounds combined with the Superego
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

For psychedelic rock, you really do need just about each and every kind of pedal out there. Well, maybe not need, but it sure does help. I'd highly suggest a wah pedal. It's not typically thought of as psychedelic in nature, but I use mine all the time for that type of music. It goes great with a delay set to infinite repeats.

Personally, for the chorus, flanger, and other pedals like that, I'd look into the TC Electronic pedals. I love many of my old EHX pedals for their gritty sound, but they lack a cleanliness and sparkle to them. I like a variety in both the general tones and subtle textures.

I'm also a big fan of the EHX Stereo Pulsar. It's small, cheap, and in stereo, but what I really love about it is the variable waveforms you can cycle through. You can pretty much nail that old opto tremolo sound or go crazy and get some weird spaceship type of effect going. With two amps, it'll bounce the sound back and forth between them, making for a very hypnotic effect.

Anyway, those are some of my personal favorites. In any case, I'd just recommend you get as many different pedals as you can and probably look into some kind of switching system, so you can effectively turn on or off more than one pedal at once, which can be handy.
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear nut

I just got a super ego and am going to run a dd-7 delay through the effects loop.Thoughts?
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njurkiewicz View Post
I just got a super ego and am going to run a dd-7 delay through the effects loop.Thoughts?

The superego produces static droning sounds with very little dynamics. running it through a delay only produces an increase in volume and maybe a little chorusing or phasing as the superego's original signal layers with the delays.

of course you might get some interesting results if you have the superego set to a high speed setting (left poti near minimum). so it's sounds have a faster attack and release time.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear addict

31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Head

You might try pigtronix Tremvelope, Gigfx Chopper, Strymon Mobius.
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear addict

4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Gear interested

I've only had my Superego for about a month, so I don't have that much experience with it yet. IMO, a chorus is pretty much essential to have in the loop. I've put my BYOC Phase Royal and my Paul Gilbert Flanger in with it as well. I like the the sound of the phaser better than the flanger.

I actually just had an idea last night that I haven't gotten a chance to try yet. I'm going to throw my old Boss GT-6 into the loop and see what I can come up with. While I like analog pedals more than multi-effects units, I think a multi-effects would compliment the superego really well. Then I wouldn't have to tie up my other pedals in the loop.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search