Tube for Vox ToneLab
Kevin_B
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear addict

Tube for Vox ToneLab

I have a Vox ToneLab and currently have a Fender 12AX7 tube in it. While it still sounds pretty good, I know that's not the greatest tube and I've been using the same one for a few years now so it is probably time to experiment with something new. What do you recommend?

For tones, I don't use much in the way of effects but I use a variety of sounds from glassy and clean to a heavily overdriven marshall type sound. I also like to play around with something in between -- think Knopfler through Mesa.

Thanks.
Kevin_B
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear addict

Bump
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

I don't think it will make that big a difference as the Tonelab runs at starved plate voltage....there's so little juice going to that tube that Vox,(i.e..Korg),
puts an orange LED behind the tube to make it appear to running at full throttle....VERY cheezy IMHO.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Ion wrangler

That tube is really just for visuals more than anything, but I think the Tonelab is a great modeling amp. I often use one into a mc'd up small, clean tube amp for recording.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

I use to own one and from what I understood the Tone Lab uses the tube to emulate the speaker draw on the power amp rather than in a pre-amp circuit. If that's the case, then you will see little difference with any tube replacement.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search