My new NS/Stick (not quite a guitar)
Michael Blue
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear maniac

My new NS/Stick (not quite a guitar)

Hey all!

I generally hang out in other areas, but as I'm migrating to the stringed instrument arena now, I thought I'd introduce myself. Well, at least my new "guitar"...

Meet "Maya".

She's a Chapman NS/Stick.
From www.stick.com - Instruments and Tunings

"Now you can tap, strum, pick, pluck, even play open strings, on one instrument.

Our 8-string stereo multi-mode instrument is a collaboration between Emmett Chapman (creator of the Stick) and Ned Steinberger (creator of the NS Double Bass, Bass Cello and many other instruments). Designed for optimized two-handed tapping, and conventional guitar and bass techniques, this instrument incorporates a number of ideas from both The Stick (RailsĀ®, tapping frets) and the Steinberger bass (knee rest and headless design), as well as some completely new ideas, like a patented retractable damper, and unique side-saddle bridge and nut height adjustment screws."

Her serial number is 121221, which someone else pointed out to me was the date of the end of the Mayan calendar (euro format), which I thought was funny.

Toying with the idea of laser-engraving the Aztec sun disc on her, like a tattoo, since it was inspired by the Mayans as well.

(Photoshop)

Hope you like it!

~Michael
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Guru

The oversized picture makes it really difficult to read the post.
Michael Blue
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear maniac

Edited.
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Very nice...I had a chapman stick for a while...until I realized that the reverse stringing of the bass strings was too much of an intellectual challenge for me

Enjoy...it looks like a lot of fun!
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Very cool instument. Congrats! I remember the original guy, (Emmett?) wailing on the stick at NAMM shows. Always a crowd stopper.

I like the tattoo idea.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear addict

Looks very nice and I like the 'tattoo' on her. Go for it. You'll have a very unusual, one-of-its-kind instrument.

Just for info though, the 'euro format' end of the Mayan calendar would be 211212, or even 21.12.12
Michael Blue
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks guys!

Re: date...Maybe I labeled it incorrectly? It's the international standard (ISO 8601) date notation. We don't use it much in the US, except for computer programming, but I've seen it in common use almost everywhere else in the world.

International standard date and time notation
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue View Post
Thanks guys!

Re: date...Maybe I labeled it incorrectly? It's the international standard (ISO 8601) date notation. We don't use it much in the US, except for computer programming, but I've seen it in common use almost everywhere else in the world.

International standard date and time notation
Yes, that may be the ISO 8601 standard, but in Europe, we put the day first, followed by the month, followed by the year. So, 21.12.2012, that would be the correct way here. I figure, since Europe contains a bunch of nations, that should count as international

Mayan date or not, your stick still looks awesome...

Last edited by Levon; 7th March 2013 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post
I had a chapman stick for a while...until I realized that the reverse stringing of the bass strings was too much of an intellectual challenge for me
I too had a Chapman Stick for a while, and I actually really liked the reverse "inverted reciprocal 5ths" tuning of the bass strings...so much so that I've occasionally cobbled together a weird set of strings and tuned my Steinberger bass in inverted 5ths. (Figured I'd do it on a carbon fiber instrument since the string tension would be all over the map.) All the notes are in the exact same place they are on a normal bass, it's just that when you play lines you think you know you get random octave transpositions whenever you cross strings. Kind of a cool way to reinvent parts or to get out of a rut.

The thing I hated about the Stick was how absolutely characterless the upper half of the instrument sounded. The bass strings sounded totally badass, but those guitar (sic) strings sounded totally lame, all thin and plinky with no balls, and to be honest that's my criticism of most "real" Stick players I've heard too.
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I too had a Chapman Stick for a while, and I actually really liked the reverse "inverted reciprocal 5ths" tuning of the bass strings...so much so that I've occasionally cobbled together a weird set of strings and tuned my Steinberger bass in inverted 5ths. (Figured I'd do it on a carbon fiber instrument since the string tension would be all over the map.) All the notes are in the exact same place they are on a normal bass, it's just that when you play lines you think you know you get random octave transpositions whenever you cross strings. Kind of a cool way to reinvent parts or to get out of a rut.

The thing I hated about the Stick was how absolutely characterless the upper half of the instrument sounded. The bass strings sounded totally badass, but those guitar (sic) strings sounded totally lame, all thin and plinky with no balls, and to be honest that's my criticism of most "real" Stick players I've heard too.
I got one after hearing Tony Levin playing one in King Crimson...he's one of the few players I've heard that can really make it sound superb imho. They do make an 8 string bass stick now (SB8), which is tuned in 4ths like a bass guitar. I'm actually quite tempted to try one of those out. Anyone here on GS got one?
Michael Blue
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear maniac

That's how this NS is strung as well, Bass 4ths from low B up.
Rally loving this thing!
2-handed tapping in both registers is going to take some time, but this is the best sounding, most flexible "bass" I've ever even heard.
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

ah cool, so you have it 4ths up all the way from B...just like the SB8, but you play it horizontally. Love it...I wonder if I can find one to try in the uk...
Michael Blue
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear maniac

You can play it in a variety of positions, similar to Steinberger's Omni Bass (except you wouldn't want to play this full vertical).
In fact, a few of us NS owners have been inquiring about making Steinberger's "boomerang" strap available on the NS/Stick, no news yet.

Most people seem to play the NS in a new position, somewhere between the traditional Bass and Stick positions...

Here's the legendary Don Schiff to demonstrate better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhvqXB-8kI
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Just found out it weighs 8lb, which is pretty good...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search