Login / Register

How come it doesn't sound quite the same??
New Reply
Subscribe
nemo0930
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

How come it doesn't sound quite the same??

Hey what's up everyone!
I need help answering a little issue I got. I have a fender hot rod deluxe III limited edition in wine red/wheat with its extension speaker in tweed and an american standard tele, which when I plug straight into the amp sounds gorgeous to me in every way, but when I plug my pedalboard first and then my guitar, it looses a little bit that awesome tone it has if I don't plug the pedalboard, it still sounds good, just not as good, I'm wondering why if all my pedals are true bypass, so in theory it should sound exactly the same as if I plugged my guitar straight to the amp, or am I wrong?, also could it be the patch cables?, from my amp to the pedalboard I use mogami gold, between pedals, I have those 10 bucks Fender patch cables and then from the pedalboard to the guitar I use mogami gold also
Thanks in advance guys!
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013

Which pedals?

Don't forget that even a set of true bypass pedals may add 15feet of cable.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

It's called tone suck, the worst offender for me was a Dunlop CryBaby Wah Wah pedal. It could also be the fact you are adding 30 feet of cable. Even the best cable has a capacitance which blocks the higher frequencies. Try adding a good quality buffer into your signal chain. Suhr do a nice one.

Nick
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

If all your cables are true bypass I would just buy a Boss tuner and that would probably be all the buffer you need. That being said, there are more expensive buffers (some better some not) out there.

Here is a good read:

The case against true bypass
nemo0930
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for all your responses!, they were all really helpful!
Narcoman, I have a mxr custom shop compressor, a modtone xcelerator volume pedal, a fulltone OCD overdrive, Analogman Peppermint fuzz, Dr Scientist Tremolessence Tremolo, TC electronic Flashback Delay and a TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Both of those TC Electronic pedals have a buffered output option. Just place one of them at the front of your signal chain and turn on the buffer. That should help out. There are some DIP switches on the inside of those pedals to activate the buffer.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
Both of those TC Electronic pedals have a buffered output option. Just place one of them at the front of your signal chain and turn on the buffer. That should help out. There are some DIP switches on the inside of those pedals to activate the buffer.
Having a delay or a reverb at the start of a pedal chain that includes a compressor and a fuzz pedal can yield less than desirable results.
nemo0930
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

I've been looking at some buffers and I think I might go for the Empress Buffer+, seems like its just what I need, because I like the reverb and the delay at the very end, thanks for the info tho, I had forgotten about that
JBP
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
JBP
Gear interested

I agree with what people are saying. My only addition is that every change has some effect on the signal. The best approach is to isolate it. Change only one thing at a time to see what causes the problem you're noticing.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear addict

Try taking your OCD out and check. I read the other day there can be capacitance issue with it when certain pedals are after it. I've not tested it myself but see if that might be it.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to litepipe
No Matter what there is signal loss when you plug in pedals. True bypass, buffered... Doesn't matter. It will never sound the same as plugging straight into the amp. I've tried everything. If effects are important you have to find the setup that bothers you the least. In the studio I take anything I'm not using out of the signal chain.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

If you run your Mogami cable into one pedal, and then you use the other Mogami cable out of the pedal, and into the amp, do you still hear the difference?

I agree with the others who have said you can't ever get it to have the same tone as running directly into the amp, but those crappy Fender interconnects could be making a difference. You have some nice gear. Make sure you entire signal chain is up to par, or don't bother with any of the "expensive cables." In my experience, your whole signal chain is only as good as the weakest link in it.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear interested

The Pepermint Fuzz might be the issue. Fuzz pedals can be difficult when chained with other pedals, they like to be first in the signal chain as the impedance from the guitar pickups plays a part in the sound. Try taking this one out and see how your board sounds without it.

I have a Fulltone 69 that sounds awesome but doesn't team up that well.

Nick
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear nut

I have an xotic x-blender which has a boost switch. Does this compensate like a buffer pedal would?

Second of all the new technology has allowed some very untalented people to accomplish things they never should have been able to.

ken scott
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search