79 Deluxe Reverb
New Reply
Subscribe
TheJesseJames
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

79 Deluxe Reverb

I recently acquired a silverface 79' deluxe reverb from the craigslist. The guy who sold it to me suggested i replace the speaker, currently it as an (im assuming) orignal fender 12" but im thinking of putting in a celestion, any suggestions on the type. Thanks.

J/J
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

I guess it depends on what sound you're looking for out of the Deluxe.

I recently put a Celestion G12H30 in a Dr Z Z-28 1x12", which is another 6V6 based amp, and it sounds fantastic. It came with a Greenback in it and I never liked the sound of that speaker because I felt like it was missing some low end. The G12H30 sounds huge when the amp breaks up. Also, I find Vintage 30's to be a bit underwhelming and boring.

If you're looking for a cleaner sound and more headroom, the Jensen C12N works well.

If you're looking for a good compromise, the Eminence Legend GB128 is pretty darn good. Big and warm, but clean.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

A lot of people like the Eminence Cannibus Rex for that amp. It's supposed to be a pretty clean speaker with nice, but smooth highs.

I have that exact same amp, and I use a vintage Jensen C12N. You can usually find them used for around $100 or so and I highly recommend them for that classic Fender sound. JBL D120F's are also popular for the same reason, but they can get kinda pricey. I'd avoid getting a new Jensen. They're the same in name only, and no where near as good of a speaker. If you can't find a decent original C12N, you might want to check out the Weber 12F150. I've heard they're a pretty good substitute.

I do think that replacing the speaker in those amps is a great idea though. They are amazing amps, but those original speakers are junk, in my opinion. Still, the question I'd ask yourself first is, what don't you like about your current speaker, and what do you want the amp to sound like after the swap? That answer and price will determine the best speaker for you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search