Jackson Soloist Pickups
targa2
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Jackson Soloist Pickups

I have a Jackson Soloist. I think it's a 1984. Serial number is j 1359. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the bridge pickups in it. It's the double coil. What were they installing back then ? How hot are they and has anyone ever replaced them and what improvements did you notice if so?

Thankz
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear addict

Are these the active Jackson humbuckers? I have a set of Jackson Humbuckers in my old Charvel, circa 1991. Of course, a lot of guys don’t like active pups, but they don’t bother me at all….just got to know how to dial them in, and that’s a little different than with passive pups……they sound good IMO…..In general I think Jackson makes good pups, and unless you just have something specific in mind (i.e., you know exactly what tone you’re going for), I wouldn’t worry about switching the pickups at this juncture.

Sorry I don’t have any more specific information to give you.

Chris
targa2
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks. No they are passives. I am probably just bored and looking for a change. These pickups are pretty good. I switched out the fronts before and I noticed an improvement but the double coil is a decent pickup.

I was thinking about putting in Evolution cause I kinda like that Vai sound which is partially due to the nature of those pickups it seems.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

You might enjoy a Bill Lawrence L-500 at the bridge to replace the Duncan.

Another pickup from that era that was hot were the pickups in the Matsumoku factory guitars ('78-'80) if you can find part-guitars on the cheap with the original pups still in them. Or if you can find pups pulled from those guitars - Vantage, Westone, Epiphone, etc.

Gibson's 498T is a good replacement, very hot output.

If you like the sound of ceramics over alnico V then consider Gibson's Dirty Fingers pickup.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search