Login / Register

Is there a way to record this Marshall direct without a cab?
New Reply
Subscribe
Wolf LeProducer
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear maniac

Is there a way to record this Marshall direct without a cab?

Hi!!

How do you record poweramps direct, without a cab? Can I just plug this into the hi-z of my Komplete Audio 6, or what?

Marshall Amps :: EL84-20/20

What do I need to do, to record this direct? I'm so damn tired of amp sims!!

Aleister Crowley
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

You need a load box that acts like a speaker. Do not plug a power amp into the HiZ input of your interface unless you want to see things melt/break.

Palmer and others make speaker simulators that can be hooked to power amps/heads.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
Wolf LeProducer
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
You need a load box that acts like a speaker. Do not plug a power amp into the HiZ input of your interface unless you want to see things melt/break.

Palmer and others make speaker simulators that can be hooked to power amps/heads.

K!! Very important to note. I figured, "no way directly into HiZ." Thanks for confirming.

I'll get hunting for the box I need.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Check out the PDI03. Not toooo expensive and does the job well
RiF
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
Check out the PDI03. Not toooo expensive and does the job well
Yes. Or a box from Two Notes (Torpedo).
Mind that you will blow your amp, if you run it without any load on it's speaker outputs!!!! If you don't connect a cabinet to the speaker outputs, you have to have some kind of load box, like the Palmer PDI-03 or PGA-04 or the Two Notes Torpedo (not the Torpedo CAB, though).

Another option to record direct is to skip the power amp completely and go directly out of what usually goes into your 20/20 into your audio interface. Then use some convolution plugin to do the cabinet emulation (LePou LeCab, Kefir, Recabinet, Mellowmuse IR1A, Redwirez mixIR2, ...) using cabinet IR-files. This will bypass the poweramp stage at all, so you don't get any poweramp tone here.

EDIT: I just saw that the 20/20 has attenuated line outputs, but I am not sure what those bring to the table, because if you'll use them, you will need cabinets hooked up to the amp or a load box. Hooking up a cab defeats the purpose of direct recording and the load box will give you line outs as well...
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

Be sure to get a speaker load "box" that can accommodate the amount of power the amp puts out. At 20 watts, that shouldn't be an issue.

Also make sure your impedance out from the amp matches what the load box takes. Else you'll have an impedance mismatch, and your output won't have great efficiency and you could potentially hurt your gear.

I own the Palmer PDI-03, and I can't say enough great things about it. It's good for outputs up to 100w and has 8 ohm impedance. JAMS Audio - Nashville, TN
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Why would someone want to record the sound of a power amp?

This is not a guitar amp head.

It is the power section of one to be used in conjunction with a preamp such as: Marshall's own JMP-1.

You might have noticed the lack of instrument input.
Wolf LeProducer
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
Why would someone want to record the sound of a power amp?

This is not a guitar amp head.

It is the power section of one to be used in conjunction with a preamp such as: Marshall's own JMP-1.

You might have noticed the lack of instrument input.
Well.. Frankly that is a good point. What I probably should have linked, or at least said was, "a head," you know, like the JMP-1.

That's what I would like to record direct, without a cab.

My mistake...
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict

There have been threads about this recently. Apparently there are some DIs that work using the speaker out of the power amp.

Some Radial and Countryman, for example.

Sent from my Droid
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Point is, take the power amp out of the chain and you can record the preamp line outs. Not sure there's a benefit to buying an expensive Palmer when you could just omit the power amp and solve the problem.

If we are missing something please clarify.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Point is, take the power amp out of the chain and you can record the preamp line outs. Not sure there's a benefit to buying an expensive Palmer when you could just omit the power amp and solve the problem.

If we are missing something please clarify.
Well that would be generally what I would suggest as well. I'm guessing that the reason for wanting to go from the power amp is to get the sound of the saturated power tubes.

Also, not all amps have a line out.

Sent from my Droid
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

I can't think of a guitar preamp that doesn't have a line out. Not talking about regular tube amps with power tubes built in. The Marshall Power amp the OP referenced has Line level input jacks, so some source is line level...
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
I can't think of a guitar preamp that doesn't have a line out. Not talking about regular tube amps with power tubes built in. The Marshall Power amp the OP referenced has Line level input jacks, so some source is line level...

Duh. Oops!

Yeah I thought he was going out of a regular head ("power amp" section of the head) and not a plain power amp. Of course any pre has a line out.

Yeah OP, I'm not sure what you're going for, but the main things that color the sound are the preamp and speakers.

But if you wanted to try that out, I guess you would need a DI that takes a "speaker" input, and then a power soak thing of some kind? I'm honestly not sure how that would work.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search