Login / Register

Kemper or orange rockerverb for live/studio use?
New Reply
Subscribe
karljohnson
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

Kemper or orange rockerverb for live/studio use?

Hey,
I'm getting back playing rhythm live and also write and produce in the studio..... I was going to buy a rockerverb 50 with a 2x 12 cab but can t help but be tempted by the kemper..... Any advice and is the kemper really that good ? Also can you use a foot switch on the kemper to change amps easily.... While I'm asking if I'm tracking at 48k will the kemper slave to 48k on its digital output ?
Cheers
Karl
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Only way is to try both and see if you like the Kemper. They announced a new rackmount version at NAMM; will see it tomorrow.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear interested

You can go to the Kemper forums for everything Kemper Main Page - Kemper Amps Forum I have one and I love it and I still love using my JCM800, so ... It's very convenient for studio work and bedroom volume levels.
karljohnson
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

I'd love to know if I can slave digitally at 48k and send both a d.i and amped sound to my avid omni/Hdx rig ......... Anyone?
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

No, the Kemper SPDIF is 44.1 only currently and it has to be the master, so if you intend to work at 48k then you must use the analog outs on the unit (there's no appreciable difference in sound between the XLR outs and the SPDIF in my tests in terms of sound quality going through an Apogee Ensemble).
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW - my Rockerverb 50 was profiled by Kemper for the original factory set of included amps. My unit is an early one, has the Mercury Magnetics' transformers and sounds great

..... profiled in the Kemper or stand alone!
karljohnson
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

Seems a bit strange having to be master and only 44.1k .... Not great for studio use...... Any info on if/when they may upgrade software to run 48k?
karljohnson
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

And I take it you are really happy with the factory set sound of your profiled rockerverb on the kemper ? Close or very close? Kj
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
And I take it you are really happy with the factory set sound of your profiled rockerverb on the kemper ? Close or very close? Kj
Uncanny - plays and feels just like my amp, to me.
The Matchless Chieftain is unreal, too.
col
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
col
Gear maniac

I don't own a RV, but I've played one in band context, and have had my KPA for a year or so:

KPA
Pros:
- It's light and easy to set up
- Consistent and good foh tone
- Awesome and easy to record with

Cons:
- It doesn't feel the same "mass of sound hitting your body" as a 4x12 + 100W tube amp (I'm running mine with active monitors live, not poweramp + cab so ymmv)
- It's a lot more finicky with post eq in mixing, it can get really thin/piercing with generous amounts of eq. That said, you don't really need much post eq tweaks with it, you can get away with a lot less than with tube amp tracks.

The track in my signature is all Kemper btw.
karljohnson
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

I think I may indulge in the kemper with the power amp ..... Mmmmm rack or usual version ? Does anybody know if running it with say an orange 2x 12 cab would be fine ?
karljohnson
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

Also could anyone tell me what's missing on the rack compared to the power head ? Is it just some l.e.d's ?
Bid love to hear some straight ahead rock profiles .... Orange, ac30 , fender, Marshall , diezel, Mesa single .... Most online seem to be heavy hard rock .... Anyone care to post or share a link ?
Cheers
Kj
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I don't own a RV, but I've played one in band context, and have had my KPA for a year or so:

KPA
Pros:
- It's light and easy to set up
- Consistent and good foh tone
- Awesome and easy to record with

Cons:
- It doesn't feel the same "mass of sound hitting your body" as a 4x12 + 100W tube amp (I'm running mine with active monitors live, not poweramp + cab so ymmv)
When I run my KPA through an amp/2x12 it does make a difference to me - it becomes a guitar amp, not something trying to be a guitar amp, from a performance standpoint. YMMV, but it's def worth trying.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search