New Reply
Subscribe
Freshstart
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Pedal power supply noise

Hello Forum,

Thanks for all your help over the past couple of years, it's been much appreciated.

This seems like an old topic; I get noise, a lot, when using my guitar through my pedal chain and for a long time I thought it was just my guitar, but I've recently read that it could be the power supply.

I have a cheap power supply, so it must be the culprit. However, when I plug my microphone through the pedals there is no noise? Does that means it's still the guitar? Or is it something to do with power supply interacting with guitar pick ups?

I'm going to buy a voodoo labs pedal power 2, but just wondered why there was no noise with the mic.

Merci. From VietNam
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

multiple things going on here:

guitar signal vs. mic signal - 2 different levels. You didn't say what kind of guitar, but guessing single coils. Mic signals are going to be way lower and so less noise.

I have the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and it is quiet as can be.

You may also have a defective pedal, cable or both. Try first with just amp and cable to your guitar, and then add back pedals without the power supply - just batteries. Then add the power supply. You should be able to better figure out the culprit.

to help us help you, list your guitar, amp and pedals. thanks and good luck.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
\
I have the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and it is quiet as can be.
+1
Freshstart
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear interested

Hey nedorama,

Thanks for the answer about why the mic wasn’t making any noise.

Yes you’re right, I play a single coil guitar. It’s a 1964 Vox Dominator, it’s so small and easy to play......not that I’m a whimp or anything

Pedals are boss cs2/micro pog/ravish/MXR CC/DD-7/Boss RC 20xl. I’ve recently been playing ambient soundscapes so a clean signal would be great.

Amp at the moment is a lunchbox ZT junior as i’m backpacking around......big backpack I know.

I did manage to pick up a voodoo lab pedal power plus2 before I left though and it has helped with the buzzzzzzz but not eradicated it.

What I have noticed though is if I just place my finger on even just one string of the guitar it mutes the buzzzzzz. It’s like i’m grounding it or something?? Does that mean there is some fault with the electronics of the guitar??

Thanks for any help and sorry for slow reply. Like I said I’ve been moving around a little lately
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Not a problem. Single coil guitars inherently have hum based on their design. Sounds like a grounding wire may not be connected somewhere.

You can look into things like shielding paint for the pickup cavity, shielding foil for the back of the pickguard, and ensuring that everything is grounded. You'll need to find a good tech to do this. Google Single coil hum fixes - you'll get a lot for Fender strats, but they're single coil guitars as well so a lot will be helpful.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search