Amp for Indie/Alternative Rock sound?
New Reply
Subscribe
aayjaay
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Amp for Indie/Alternative Rock sound?

I know I just posted another thread but I'm getting quite close to buying an amp so I need second opinions. Which amp would be best in getting an Indie/Alternative Rock tone. The sound I would most like to recreate would be Radiohead (anywhere from their cleans to heavy albums like The Bends). But I'm also thinking of stuff like Foals, Grizzly Bear, Blur, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Vaccines, The Pixies, Weezer etc. I would also like to be able to do the classics like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who etc. Not metal though.

I know a lot of things can be achieved with pedals but I would like to get a good, versatile amp that sounds good on its own and then get a basic OD/dist pedal later (I'm thinking RAT, OCD, TS, Hotcake, SD1). The highest I can go for an amp is around £400 but then pedals would have to wait a little. I would also be buying the amp used as there are so many good deals to be had.

I was thinking an AC30 as I've heard good things and it's generally a very tried and tested amp. Then there are things like the Peavey Classic series and the Fender Hot Rods and loads of other mid range tube amp brands and models. Some of them e.g. the Hot Rod could do with pedals if I went for one but then they are cheaper than something like the AC30.

So in summary, what I'm asking is what is the best amp in my price range for the music I want to play. Would it be better to go for something like an AC30 or to go with a good clean base amp and beef it up with pedals. Obviously, the AC30 could do with pedals in front of it for some stuff too but that would come later as all of my £400 would be used up if I did go for an AC30. Availability when searching for used amps is also a factor. There is an AC30 in my budget range available where I live however I haven't seen any other deals recently on the other amps I've mentioned.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the text wall :P
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Wow, that's quite a span in your references. How about just getting a Roland JC-120 and loading up pedals? Good clean amp, good clean speaker cab...

An AC30 is great for a lot of things but it's still basically one sound. A Fender Hotrod whatever is a little more of a blank slate if you crave tubes...
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

I guess I was too broad. What I mean to say is what is the best amp for me that's under £400 used which has a good sound on its own but can take a basic OD/distortion pedal nicely. So for example, the AC30 has a wide range of sound on it's own but also works well with an OD/distortion pedal.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Under $400? Then I assume you mean for recording purposes only. Try the Egnater Tweaker. Lots of different low-watt tones!
aayjaay
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Nope, £400 (I live in England) which I think is around $650. It would be for home use (I know it's a lot of amp, maybe even too much but if you use a pedal, you can get good tones at normal volumes and then if you do go on to practicing with a band/gigging, you're covered there).
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

When I do rock guitar two of my main influences are Radiohead and the Pixies.

I picked up a Vox VC4 and I feel like it gets those tones pretty good. You gotta try it for yourself though.

Sent from my Droid
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Given the influences you (OP) cited, a VOX AC-style combo sounds like a good bet.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayjaay View Post

I was thinking an AC30 as I've heard good things and it's generally a very tried and tested amp. Then there are things like the Peavey Classic series and the Fender Hot Rods and loads of other mid range tube amp brands and models. Some of them e.g. the Hot Rod could do with pedals if I went for one but then they are cheaper than something like the AC30.
Cant go wrong man, they sound good from uber clean glassiness right up to all out heavy rock. they are cheaper then the AC 30 as well.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you can get an AC30 for 400 pounds with the blue speakers, I'd say go for it! That's an amp you'll be able to use your whole life. If it's the Wharfdale speakers, that's not such a great deal. For a starting band I might even try and find an AC15 with a blue speaker. They sound nearly as good clean and can crunch a little without getting deafening.
aayjaay
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

It's the C2 with the greenbacks. I have just seen a C1 go for £410 so I'm thinking £400 on a x2 speaker version is good.
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
Gear interested

the vaccines used a fender champ on their first CD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search