Login / Register

Connecting Amp Head to mixer / headphone amp through...? (+ head circuit question)
New Reply
Subscribe
Edoardo
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Connecting Amp Head to mixer / headphone amp through...? (+ head circuit question)

Hello,

I have a couple of questions for you guys:

I'm trying to put up a good electric guitar rig for studying and home-recording (for now.)

I need to play with the headphones, else, to connect an Amp Head to the Heaphone amplifier somehow, and eventually to the mixer/ADC (.)

I've been using some crappy tiny headphone amps, and now I'm using a linear gain booster, which I connect to a good headphone amp with better results.

I've been thinking about getting an amp head, but would not know how to connect it to the headphone amp and/or to the mixer.

I have some technical issues I haven't been able to solve.

1) I've seen that many Mesa Boogie and HiWatt heads feature a "slave out", "power amp out", "balanced out" etc...
Are those all line-level outs? Can I connect the Heads to my headphone amp and/or to a mixer directly through those outs?

2) What's behind those outs? An attenuator, a transformer, or just the preamp section? What kind of output stage is that?
(tube/transistor/IC(chip/Op-Amp?)

3) Would buying a cabinet simulator be an anyway better solution?

4) I would like also to ask whether a mixer beetween the amp head (or cabinet simulator) and the headphone amp is needed

Thank you all very much.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
Edoardo
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
This has been covered many times before - search the forums for this.

Or just click here and get one of these.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm
Thanks for this answer too, but I've put "headphones" "headphone" in the search engine for this forum, and nothing appears. Also, I thought a couple of questions to be quite unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Or just click here and get one of these.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm
Thanks but I don't think I'm going to; I do not know that producer, and also, shall I put a 80$ box between a 1500€ head and a pair of high-end headphones?
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Again, use the search function. Weber is a very well regarded name in speakers and attenuators and will be fine for your amp, whether it's 1500€ or 200€. GS is a good place to get educated about good gear you may not know about.

Again, search the forums for keywords like "attenuator", "silent recording" "speaker simulator" The topic of connecting a guitar amp to various gear to reduce or eliminate sound has been covered over and over, but if all you want is a headphone tap off your speaker line, the Weber will be fine.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search