New Reply
Subscribe
Bassmec
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Kemper?

Hate to depress anyone but, fellow sluts, at what point in the near future do you think It would be wise to sell all my vintage guitar and bass amps cabinets, powersoaks and speaker sims, analogue studio gear and move into a far smaller premises now we have Andy Sneep endorsing Kemper.
I ain't heard it yet but if it is finally the whole nine yards, Then when are we getting the Ipad app for it.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Banned

Are you having a laugh? If you hear it, you will be a believer...
Bassmec
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Are you having a laugh? If you hear it, you will be a believer...
Well for me it's far from a laughing matter as my entire existence depends on selling the idea that everything that really was great, is not going to be instantly available as a preset in garage band in someones bedroom any time in the near future.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I bet some big name engineer endorsed 8bit interfaces
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
That's funny you bring that up. Bought mine last monday, sold my amps Friday.

Only your ears can tell you what works. Make sure you make some profiles of your old amps.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
Well for me it's far from a laughing matter as my entire existence depends on selling the idea that everything that really was great, is not going to be instantly available as a preset in garage band in someones bedroom any time in the near future.
Your ENTIRE EXISTENCE DEPENDS????? Technology is always moving ahead. I've gone the Fractal route and love it.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Arent you guys sick of this "promotional " threads yet? If you think Kemper fulfills your needs and you dont need anything else do it.
And if you have any good amps, email me the list we may have a deal
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

had a kemper here for a few weeks.
meh..still prefer multi miking good amps in a good room
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Banned

Would I rather have a room full of vintage amps? Well, duh...yeah...I haven't used the Fractal, but the Kemper is absolutely head and shoulders above any other amp modeler/profiler that I be tried.

Hunter, I don't know how deep you dug into it - but it's only as good as the profile that you're using. But when you have a good one - like the Amp Factory profiles of the /13 FTR37, Bogner Uberschall, a 66' AC30, Two Rock 35, etc...it's pretty damn close. I know of a couple session guys thy have flipped over it. Have they replaced their rigs? No, but this thing ain't no joke.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Would I rather have a room full of vintage amps? Well, duh...yeah...I haven't used the Fractal, but the Kemper is absolutely head and shoulders above any other amp modeler/profiler that I be tried.

Hunter, I don't know how deep you dug into it - but it's only as good as the profile that you're using. But when you have a good one - like the Amp Factory profiles of the /13 FTR37, Bogner Uberschall, a 66' AC30, Two Rock 35, etc...it's pretty damn close. I know of a couple session guys thy have flipped over it. Have they replaced their rigs? No, but this thing ain't no joke.
agreed,I thought it sounded really good.best direct amp sim I've heard.
actually thinking about it I had the Kemper here for a couple months..just kinda lost interest after using it for a few weeks.
along with the factory stuff and other add ons,it had a friends custom profiles in it[Wizard,Bogner,etc,etc]..recorded through the good stuff.
I mostly found it easier to get two/three mics up on a cab w/great preamps and get the depth/size I wanted right away.
I also often use room or distant mics in addition to the close mics and a good DI.
I'm a big fan of having multiple mics/amps/cabs coming up on the console and sub mixng on busses in different combinations to get the desired sound.
doing it that way straight into PTHD via apogee /trinity/atomic clock,etc wielded bigger,deeper sounds than Kemper direct to console to PT
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
agreed,I thought it sounded really good.best direct amp sim I've heard.
actually thinking about it I had the Kemper here for a couple months..just kinda lost interest after using it for a few weeks.
along with the factory stuff and other add ons,it had a friends custom profiles in it[Wizard,Bogner,etc,etc]..recorded through the good stuff.
I mostly found it easier to get two/three mics up on a cab w/great preamps and get the depth/size I wanted right away.
I also often use room or distant mics in addition to the close mics and a good DI.
I'm a big fan of having multiple mics/amps/cabs coming up on the console and sub mixng on busses in different combinations to get the desired sound.
doing it that way straight into PTHD via apogee /trinity/atomic clock,etc wielded bigger,deeper sounds than Kemper direct to console to PT
Don't think you are the intended clientele...
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've had 3 Nashville session guitarists bring one over for some quick overdubs. Kenny Greenberg was most recent. Thought it sounded really good. Most believable half-broken up thing from a simm I've heard. Still prefer real deal as u guys have said. But getting closer for sure.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't think you are the intended clientele...
Exactly.

Great if you have all that gear ...many don't...but they have deadlines

TH
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, all 3 of the guys said they bought it for their travel / throw in the car rig... Not to replace their amps.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Buss the mics together and then route to the kemper?
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Can we get past the fact that it's not a great amp recorded with nice mics in a live room...

No one here has forgotten that the Kemper is still a simulator. Its benefits go beyond mere sound quality. It's versatile, portable, and holds a fvckton of amp emulations, and it gets pretty close to the source. Not identical, no, but close enough for a lot of rock and roll.

If sound is all that matters a sim isn't what you want.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Buss the mics together and then route to the kemper?

this last project was a old school kinda deal..close mics to one side of the stereo field then room panned opposite.
also sonically the signal just sounded better going direct from amp/ mic pre's to pt..[imo conversion on the kemper compared to the Apogee /Antelope combo had an influence on this]
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If sound is all that matters a sim isn't what you want.
I think its a great product but in a word: yes
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
this last project was a old school kinda deal..close mics to one side of the stereo field then room panned opposite.
also sonically the signal just sounded better going direct from amp/ mic pre's to pt..[imo conversion on the kemper compared to the Apogee /Antelope combo had an influence on this]
I would imagine your converters are superior, I use the analog outs. I'm sold, I wasnt on the Kemper and all the other amp sims "amused" me but didn't blow me away like this but I'm currently downsizing or repurposing. Getting rid of the summing/outboard and putting it to mics and hopefully in a few years a new space designed really well with a really nice set of monitors.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I would imagine your converters are superior, I use the analog outs.
just to clarify..not just the outs but I'm also talking about the conversion going into the kemper .
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

In a couple of years, when they take it out of Beta. I honestly think it will be the product to have, as an early adopter. It doesn't beat a real amp, mic'd in a nice room..

Fingers crossed they sort out the quality of sound, I've heard some of the third party packs really help.

I'll visit it again in the future.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

The product to have? Maybe so.

I still haven't found a rightful way to complain about the Scuffham (sp?) software, considering its physical limitations, and I think there's potential to take it even further. It's not a modeling amp, but it and the Kemper show that emulators are continuing to improve.

Thinking about reverb IRs though, they have plateaued, haven't they? I've not heard a marked improvement from Altiverb in a while. The gap between reverb IRs and algorithmic verbs remains, and it's still a decent gap. So maybe guitar emulators are also approaching their limits???
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

The Fractal Axe Fx II is still improving by leaps and bounds. Version 9.02 kicks serious ass over it's own previous incarnations. The amps sound better and better and the effects are still top notch. I love having it all in one unit. I played a free jazz gig last night with it, a Liquid Foot (LF+12+) and 3 expression pedals and definitely blew some minds with the tonal variety. I don't think guitar emulators are reaching their limits at all.
Bassmec
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Well!

Actually for all this, even on my Ipad speaker I can tell the real from the Kemper on the Sneep demo video on Kemper's own site.
If I can't make money out of selling amp profiles to acne infested music tech students I don't want one. I will wait for the Ipad app for tour buss use.
I used to use one of Andy Sneeps old JCM 800's with an added 12ax7 with ENT
back in the nineties but it won't hold a candle to my old 1968 dual glass rectifier 4 x reliable (NB Andy)brimar EL 34 powered Matamp + an old ibanez tube screamer and a bit more pre amp curtesy of an old Standard telephones and cables germanium pre with multi impedance input and output and about 85dB extra gain.

The thrash metalled JCM 800 is long gone!.
Got a Custom Motherload, cool speakers and mics and an iso booth too:

Now what was it a Kember did for me exactly?.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Banned

You know, Bassmec...I'm gonna just bail out of this thread. I REALLY don't care if you don't like the Kemper. I literally just earned some money with it yesterday. This was an obvious troll and I fell for it.
It's people like this that make GS's annoying. The ENTIRE purpose of this thread was to come on here and pump yourself up about how you have superior ears than the rest of us and you are a gear snob, blah, blah, blah. OK - you win - the Kemper sucks.

Now...back to making music and money.

Last edited by Johnkenn; 18th December 2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Life is too short
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Head

I've been using Fractal since it was released and will probably get with Kemper eventually but for me the real deal is the real deal and will keep my small amp collection . Where the
Sims shine for me is their variety of sounds and can also be setup as a hybrid setup with
real cabs and power amps if need be , I also find them useful for scratch tracks that can
be also kept in the mix if needed. Small tracking studios benefit greatly with good DI
tracks when isolation is limited . For me , when I A/B the sim to the real I always go for
the real but having said that I still find the sims great alternatives to save time and have fun, especially when my real amp collection is limited in variety as well.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I heard the Kemper for the first time today and while I obviously would need more time with it to say something intelligent about how it sounds I was left with a feeling that it is a great product that makes a lot of sense for many of us.

- A •lot• of musicians and producers, both pros and amateurs, living in big cities don't have a space where blasting an amp is possible.

- Touring musicians can have all the sounds they need in their carry-on luggage.

- Small tracking studios with lack of iso-booths can do live-sessions with better di-sounds catering for better feeling for the guitarist. You can always reamp later.

- It is an enormous palette of sounds that are tweakable in cool ways, you can come up with sounds the original amp is not even capable of.

Some of the profiles I heard today sounded absolutely great, like an AC30 handwired profile by Trent Reznor I think it was, and a nice Matchless too.

You can definitely make music with this thing.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm going to jump outside the box on this one! I had a nice vintage vox 4x10 and traded it for a kemper. Now, I still have other amps and cabs that I have profiled into the kemper and yes they are the best sounding sim's I have ever heard! (I have an eleven rack and played with axe before)
But there are some things I don't like, I feel like harmonies is where you can really tell its a sim especially on high gain amps like my evh head. Cleans are fantastic! But when you throw a little crunch I can just hear some fizz. Plus it might be a placebo effect due to the fact I have a bunch of outboard gears and mics purchased just for guitar that are now not being used...
I'm curious about the future
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have had the Kemper for about a week and my thoughts are mixed. Does it sound as good as an amp? Yes and no. It sounds like many amps do once you have recorded them, which is the product's intention. Right out of the box 99% of profiles sound like poo. You have to edit them heavily to your specific guitar and pickup, and editing is fairly complex with small detailed sweet spots that are completely dependent on your chain, guitar and pickup. 75% of profiles are still useless but there are still MANY that have very interesting and useful tone, especially the moderately overdriven sounds.

My biggest issue is that the vast majority of the profiles don't work very well with pedals on the front end, and the extremely clean profiles are mostly dull. So far the best results I have had is with wah and distortion pedals prior to the AD and timing and modulation pedals post DA, then into a UTC transformer DI and into my Retro Powerstrip. I am still working out the best chain for the sounds I am looking for. I think it will be very useful in a dense mix and for offbeat music like shoegaze (which always used DI stuff), certain country music, etc. To me it won't replace my amps but then again I haven't tried profiling them yet. Many times amps sound great in the room but getting that sound through the CR monitors is another story. I have owned or tried nearly every amp sim and di solution since the late 80's and this is the best idea I have heard yet.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search