Orange Tiny Terror Hardwired - worth it?
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Orange Tiny Terror Hardwired - worth it?

I decided that a Tiny Terror will be my next amp investment and I'm definitely set on an Orange 2 x 12" cab as well.

I checked quite a few videos/reviews of the more expensive 'Hardwired' version vs. the plain one and couldn't really make up my mind if it's worth the added bucks?

Seems like the HW amp has more 'sheen' to it which I'm not even sure I like.

To me, Orange means dry 70s thick glue. Les Pauls, SGs and few if any pedals....

I'll be upgrading the tubes anyway which usually makes a huge difference even on expensive amps that still come with cheapo tubes à la Fender.

Any opinions welcome, thanks!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 4th December 2012
Gear Head

I would go for the regular TT. Sounds like your leaning that way. If the HW version has more sheen... It wouldn't be my choice. I like my guitars to be fuzzy, dirty and nasty.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Citizen View Post
I would go for the regular TT. Sounds like your leaning that way. If the HW version has more sheen... It wouldn't be my choice. I like my guitars to be fuzzy, dirty and nasty.
Yeah, that's what I think. But I wondered if anybody here has used them both side by side?
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

My amp tech speaks very highly of the Mercury Magnetics mod for the Tiny Terror, I think you might get more mileage out of a transformer upgrade (unless the HW version has a better transformer already). It's hard to go wrong with a handwired amp though, the QC should be much better. Also I'd price out a custom 2x12" cab from Avatar or Lopoline and see how they compare to an Orange cab, both very high quality and you can save money by not paying for a brand name on the front of it but still get quality workmanship.
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

A second endorsement for the Avatar cabs--all the quality at half the price.

As far as the HW vs. standard, unless you're an amp tinkerer, there's not much reason for the HW. The PCB version has great quality control--these amps have been around a few years now, and they haven't developed any bad tech reputation. That argument changes if there are other component upgrades with the HW, but if you like the sound of the cheaper version better, why torture yourself? Pull the trigger and be happy you saved a few $$
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
As far as the HW vs. standard, unless you're an amp tinkerer, there's not much reason for the HW. The PCB version has great quality control--these amps have been around a few years now, and they haven't developed any bad tech reputation. That argument changes if there are other component upgrades with the HW, but if you like the sound of the cheaper version better, why torture yourself? Pull the trigger and be happy you saved a few $$
That certainly makes sense.

But I can't say that I prefer the stock version because I only heard these amps on video shootouts. But unless somebody makes a strong case for the HW version based on personal experience I think I'm going with the regular version and upgrade the tubes eventually.

This is definitely a situation where I'm NOT looking for versatlity but rather one specific sound: a dry, wooly, thick 70s vibe, the first 'Bad Company' comes to mind.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear addict

I've played through a TT several times, including a gig using my buddy's. You won't be disappointed, it's an awesome little amp whose size conceals a monster sound.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear nut

What about the OR15?

I would not gig with a regular Orange amp as they're not so well built BUT for a studio amp they do sound good.

HW AD50 would be a good amp to gig though...
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_LPF View Post
What about the OR15?

I would not gig with a regular Orange amp as they're not so well built BUT for a studio amp they do sound good.

HW AD50 would be a good amp to gig though...
It's definitely for studio use.

I'm totally into small amps now. My Fender Champ '57 reissue is amazing and even the cheapo Champion 600 reissue turned into a tone monster with a tube upgrade and replacing the POS stock speaker with a 6" Weber Alnico.

It's amazing how well these sounds fit into a mix and there's nothing small about them.
Old 6th December 2012

If you like that sound , honestly , i'd track down a Matamp or one of the Greens.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

i haven't heard the standard terror but have the point to point version. run it wiht an orange 2x12 cab.

i think it friggin rocks, i love it!, i also think it records as good as anyhting in the studio. it did come with a microphonic tube so we put a full set of upgrades in it. that just put the icing on the cake.

it records extremely well. the sheen and clarity translates well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search