Is there a 15" speaker that sounds good for guitar and bass? Musicman 150 hd reverb
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Is there a 15" speaker that sounds good for guitar and bass? Musicman 150 hd reverb

I just picked up a musicman 150 hd reverb amp for cheap ($275) last week. This week I found a Musicman 115rh 1x15 cab unloaded. I'd like to be able to play guitar or bass. And it'd have to handle 150 watts. Anyone know of a dual purpose 15"? Anything from weber? Will add pics.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

EV15B
Old 18th November 2012
Eminence makes a great one.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
Eminence makes a great one.
+1 - I have a old Sovtek bass cabinet with one 15" Eminence speaker, and the thing sounds great for guitar AND bass
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
EV15B
Thanks guys. So an EV15B is vintage? Would I need to buy this used or can I get one new?
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbles View Post
Thanks guys. So an EV15B is vintage? Would I need to buy this used or can I get one new?
I don't know, sorry.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
I don't know, sorry.
Looks like those speakers were used in old Kustom cabs. Interesting.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

I'm looking into the Red Coat Big Ben 15".....not sure yet
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

I bought the redcoat big ben. $125 shipped from parts express. The wattage is enough but I don't know how to tell if the ohms will be right for the amp. Figure I'd update in case anyone ever searches this for some reason.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've used an EVM-15B for both guitar and bass since ~1985. It works... but it is most definitely not my favorite speaker for either application.

otoh, whatever the JBL model that used to come stock in mid-1970s Fender Dual Showman amps was -- might have been the D130? can't recall -- that speaker was awesome for guitar, and pretty darn respectable for bass too.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have a vintage Jensen C15N that makes anything sound great. I regularly play guitars, basses, and my electric solidbody mandolin through it, and everything sounds warm yet defined. It's similar in tonality to my vintage C12N, but with a little warmer and fuller lows and a bit smoother highs, as you'd expect being a 15" speaker.
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

The Big Ben is a great guitar speaker- fat without that icepick-in-the-ear highend when you overdrive the amp.
BTW,the speaker that the Dual Showman amp used was the JBL D-130F series speaker.
These are great for CLEAN, "hi-fi" reproduction on electric pianos, pedal steels, etc. They are HORRIBLE for rock'n'roll guitar that you usually want to overdrive. They are simply too bright and that makes for a very "fizzy" nasty distortion. Ted Weber speakers has a replica of that speaker, and they tell you, pont blank, not to use it with ANYTHING you'll be distorting.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbaby View Post
BTW,the speaker that the Dual Showman amp used was the JBL D-130F series speaker.
These are great for CLEAN, "hi-fi" reproduction on electric pianos, pedal steels, etc. They are HORRIBLE for rock'n'roll guitar that you usually want to overdrive. They are simply too bright and that makes for a very "fizzy" nasty distortion. Ted Weber speakers has a replica of that speaker, and they tell you, pont blank, not to use it with ANYTHING you'll be distorting.
Ah, well I guess that makes sense: Back when I owned & learned to love the Dual Showman cabinet, I was playing very clean, no overdrive.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search