Send in the KLONs...
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send in the KLONs...

Having wanted a KLON Centaur for some time but unable to pay such an overblown price, I am looking for well done overdrives which get close or mimic the circuit. I would prefer not to mess w a DIY at this time.

The three I know of from searching around and other player's inputs are:

JHS KLON Centaur Clone
-stated to be the original circuit in production until Bill puts out another line, IF that ever happens. Decent pedal does well in an A/B comparision to the real puppy. Goes for like $300. JHS website, vendors handling JHS like PGS do not have this pedal.

Love Pedal Kalamazoo Overdrive
-not a clone attempt but many say it sounds like the KLON tonally. Running like $275-300 ProGuitarShop and others. Muscian's Friend and Guitar Center list it.

Tone Monk Phoenix Overdrive
$285 a very good clone attempt even looks like the silver one. ProGuitarShop has it. Available in a bypass or buffer circuit model. Check this one out
Tone Monk Phoenix Overdrive

Any of you players know of some other overdrives that mimic or get close to the tonal qualities of the Centaur??
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

If you're not getting the real thing I would say buy a DOD Bi-Fet preamp - the black one.

It's closer then any of the clones I have heard and you're not paying for something that is a rip off (done wrong) of someone else's pedal.

I have two Klon pedals and have been a user since 1995. The DOD is maybe $30 and does something similar to what the Klon does - although not as well as good as the clones I have played.

For $30 (they go from $10 - $50) I would say give it a shot.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

A good guitar playing friend of mine who owned a real Klon sold his when he heard a Danelectro Pastrami and said it was pretty damn close but I haven't tried one yet.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

The guys over at TGP seem to think the Aluminum Falcon is a pretty good approximation. But if you go over to that site, you'll find a bunch of threads that have been locked out because no one can discuss that pedal maturely! It's like a circuit that incorporates politics and religion along with transistors and capacitors. Anyway, it's not too expensive as far a boutique pedals go. Here's a link:

Piedmont Custom Electronics

Personally, all the anger and high emotions surrounding that pedal have turned me off even trying it. Plus, I modded my TS9 and Big Muff Pi's and absolutely love them now! I feel 100% content with my distortion boxes right now and don't want to upset that by introducing something new.
Old 4th October 2012
Gear addict

I've heard that the Way Huge Pork Loin can get close to what the Klon does for a fraction of the price, there were a few thread on the Gear Page about it awhile ago. I don't have experience with either pedal so I can't say, but I'm a big fan of Way Huge pedals, the two I have are really well designed and sound great.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info guys. Some valid suggestions and possibilities, I am intrigued by that mysterious controversial pedal much less if it has give rise to religious discontent(??) I am not sure about $30 pedals, my expensive drives might explode if hooked in line w one. DOD or Danelectro like a Klon, now that is one I never imagined. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I wonder as well why some of the better modelers have not tried to mimic this great sounding drive. Now I did see that the older dual Boss overdrive pedal with all the drive model mimics has one that is supposed to be a Klon mimic but I have not heard it or test driven it. Anyone know of that one?

For the unfamiliar, if that is possible: The Klon Centaur is a not a gainy drive or a dist much less a fuzz, sort of like a clean boost with some grit and a great tone. Seems like those who are lucky enough to have one do not give it up. Since I love moderate gain drives and clean boosts it is right down my aisle. I first heard of the pedal from Jeff Beck's use of one (not sure if he still uses it, for sure not hearing that Rat anymore, thank you, his tones on Live at Ronnie Scott's are amazing, anyone know the pedals?), Joe Perry has one in his rack drawer and I am sure there are many others of notable level that could have anything and love the unit.

Thinking out loud:

I have some really great pedals and I was pondering in one of my sleepless nights how if I just sat down and tweaked the crap out of my pedals in various stacks I should be able to conger up something close.

I have rendered that perhaps some of you feel the same if you think about it, we are rather shallow in our tweaking routine on a pedal, do we ever adjust to the unexpected or try radical things, probably not. I get used to a level of tone, bass, gain, or high end and I tend to get stuck in narrow ranges of adjustment. Which is stupid on my part because I have some great pedals with wide range potential. I tend to find a sweet spot tone and the pedal hardly ever moves from that narrow perspective. I have vowed to spend a day trying more radical adjustments of my various drives and my awesome compressor to see what I can cook up. I hope to have something to report in something different I stumbled upon.

Now any of you rich cats are more than welcome to drop a KLON in the mail for xmas.

Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
The guys over at TGP seem to think the Aluminum Falcon is a pretty good approximation. But if you go over to that site, you'll find a bunch of threads that have been locked out because no one can discuss that pedal maturely! It's like a circuit that incorporates politics and religion along with transistors and capacitors. Anyway, it's not too expensive as far a boutique pedals go. Here's a link:

Piedmont Custom Electronics

Personally, all the anger and high emotions surrounding that pedal have turned me off even trying it. Plus, I modded my TS9 and Big Muff Pi's and absolutely love them now! I feel 100% content with my distortion boxes right now and don't want to upset that by introducing something new.
$150-200 not bad at all, I am liking the new mods on the Falcon 2 model, looks very interesting.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

I just got my 1965 Princeton back from getting repaired/upgraded and decided to mess with the Way Huge Pork Loin and I think I concur with it being able to do a Klon type thing. Obviously the volume, tone and overdrive knobs do more volume, tone and more overdrive but it's the other tiny knobs that make this pedal so damn versatile.

The curve knob to me sounded like you could basically choose to throw how much of that low mid bump you want. I think this is better than the clones because I think that is the main difference in all the clones is they differ in that mid bump and how much and on this you can choose where and how much of it. Then you've got the clean knob which is basically mixing back in something like your direct tone to choose how much effect it has. I didn't even mess with the internal knobs so I really believe it's in this pedal if you want but either way it's incredibly versatile and great for the studio. I also love Way Huge pedals (and MXR pedals also).

Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

"I just got my 1965 Princeton back from getting repaired/upgraded and decided to mess with the Way Huge Pork Loin and I think I concur with it being able to do a Klon type thing. Obviously the volume, tone and overdrive knobs do more volume, tone and more overdrive but it's the other tiny knobs that make this pedal so damn versatile.

The curve knob to me sounded like you could basically choose to throw how much of that low mid bump you want. I think this is better than the clones because I think that is the main difference in all the clones is they differ in that mid bump and how much and on this you can choose where and how much of it. Then you've got the clean knob which is basically mixing back in something like your direct tone to choose how much effect it has. I didn't even mess with the internal knobs so I really believe it's in this pedal if you want but either way it's incredibly versatile and great for the studio. I also love Way Huge pedals (and MXR pedals also). "

Marvelous to hear, I had thought of this pedal for some time. Way Huge has some serious tech inside for sure not a empty box of diodes. Heard other good things about this pedal and the Green Rhino Overdrive.

Loving this thread, a great line on some possible great overdrives which have a Klon nature.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear
There's a couple of interesting things about the Klon:

1. It is a buffered pedal. A REALLY good buffer, so it may improve the sound of the rest of your pedals after it.

2. It uses a dual ganged gain pot, if I understand correctly, as you turn down the drive more of the clean signal is bypassed?

3. Bill Finnegan really believes the clipping diodes he's found are the best (after years of trying things out).

I've owned more than 100 overdrive and I'd put the Klon and the Cornish SS3 in their own category of truly exceptional ones. That said, if you look up Tibbon's shootout of 40 overdrives (youtube or TGP for the link), almost all of them can be made to sound similar, so you're talking about that last 10-20% of tone. I'd buy something cheap, the new Klon at less than $300 is supposed to be out in just a few months...
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
There's a couple of interesting things about the Klon:

1. It is a buffered pedal. A REALLY good buffer, so it may improve the sound of the rest of your pedals after it.

2. It uses a dual ganged gain pot, if I understand correctly, as you turn down the drive more of the clean signal is bypassed?

3. Bill Finnegan really believes the clipping diodes he's found are the best (after years of trying things out).

I've owned more than 100 overdrive and I'd put the Klon and the Cornish SS3 in their own category of truly exceptional ones. That said, if you look up Tibbon's shootout of 40 overdrives (youtube or TGP for the link), almost all of them can be made to sound similar, so you're talking about that last 10-20% of tone. I'd buy something cheap, the new Klon at less than $300 is supposed to be out in just a few months...
Been hearing that for like 2 years now. Someone said he making a few of them and selling them for $1500. Would be a huge seller, hard to imagine finding a money backing source would be any issue. But it has been years since I first heard a new release of the pedal was coming any time.
I tend to purposely look for drives that do not sound the same as others.
Sometimes designers prefer a buffer circuit design to keep the noise floor lower. I have no problems with that, I use an ideal mix of high end buffer and by pass pedals. If nothing turns up soon I will try out some of these other options.
JHS claims this is the circuit and BIll is OK with them offering it unitil his production starts. JHS claims to stop theirs when his is available. Hard to know who to believe on anything about it, I have heard just about everything.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Well, I have to say I am very impressed,
I was just listening to several well done comparisons and videos on youtube of the Tone Monk, Kalamazoo, JHS and a couple KLONS, including Bill's new KTR model (switchable buffer or bypass).

Very impressive tones on all. Just nails the Klon tone. The Tone Monk seemed to be the real deal. But the JHS and Lovepedal Kalamazoo were just dead on.
I had no idea the Kalamazoo was that damn good, matches the Klon and seems to have more range of tones. Any of these would be great pedals. I cannot believe I never got into Lovepedals more, this guy makes some great stuff.

I cannot honestly say the new or old Klons killed these pedals, without seeing them you probably could not tell which one was what.

What is so refreshing about the Klon type OD is the way different beast than the typical Tube Screamer circuit everyone claims everything is based. I was never that off the deep end with the TS things myself and I have always looked for different tonal drives. These mentioned here are some seriously great sounding pedals, for my tastes truly the best sounding drives ever! Need to look up that Piedmont Falcon, I suspect it is much like these others.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I am not sure about $30 pedals, my expensive drives might explode if hooked in line w one. DOD or Danelectro like a Klon, now that is one I never imagined. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
DOD and Boss made some great pedals. The old DOD stuff was all American made and their modulation effects (especially the FX-65 and the Phaser) are some of the best I have ever heard.

Boss made a ton of fantastic pedals - the DM series of delays, etc....

If you want a bunch of expensive stuff there are options out there. I just go with what sounds good. YMMV.

Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

I so want that Tone Monk Phoenix Drive so KLON city I could not tell them apart.
Yeah I agree whatever does the tone for you is the deal.
Been my observation a good experienced player can make anything sound good and a poor one can mal adjust the best of pedals.

Nothing like that experience playing when a pedal hits that magic nothing else had done. One does not need the most expensive gear and sometimes the cheaper stuff might produce a good tone. In general I tend to note that in life one gets what they pay for, sometimes you find a deal and something exceeds expectations but in general high end is what it is.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Apparently PGS stopped offering the Tone Monk Phoenix some issue I do not know what is the deal. Maybe they have their own site or there is another vendor somewhere. Maybe the unit was too much a clone?????
Old 13th November 2012
Gear nut

http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/brands/klon

the new klon ktr's are shipping this week. i heard the prototype at NAMM in january and have been eagerly awaiting since then to get one. there are some vids of new vs. old that make a pretty good case for the new ones. i ordered one, anyway.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decay-o-caster View Post
Klon | Axe... And You Shall Receive

the new klon ktr's are shipping this week. i heard the prototype at NAMM in january and have been eagerly awaiting since then to get one. there are some vids of new vs. old that make a pretty good case for the new ones. i ordered one, anyway.
Very cool, been wanting a KLON for years. I hear the new model has switchable bypass or buffer. I've heard the A/B on them as well. It's about time he started putting them out as there are several pedals which get that circuit so much you cannot discern them unseen.

Nice website, first run sold out at $269, reserve by email no deposit.
Old 13th November 2012
Gear nut

Got mine (KTR) a few days ago and couldn't be happier!

Had a silver one in the 90's and wanted to revisit.

Old 13th November 2012
I picked up an Aluminum Falcon a few weeks ago. I've never used an original Klon so my opinion might not add much. What I've found is that it sounds best in the lower gain settings. I generally use it as a boost with a little dirt dialed in. It's pretty transparent (using it through a SFPR). Some low end loss but not a whole lot compared to other pedals. Overall it's nice and from what I know of the Klon and Klon type pedals, it does THAT thing--fattens up the tone in an unobtrusive way. Not so much a lead pedal from my experience so far but that's not why I picked it up.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangeland View Post
I picked up an Aluminum Falcon a few weeks ago. I've never used an original Klon so my opinion might not add much. What I've found is that it sounds best in the lower gain settings. I generally use it as a boost with a little dirt dialed in. It's pretty transparent (using it through a SFPR). Some low end loss but not a whole lot compared to other pedals. Overall it's nice and from what I know of the Klon and Klon type pedals, it does THAT thing--fattens up the tone in an unobtrusive way. Not so much a lead pedal from my experience so far but that's not why I picked it up.
That's it really. It is not a boost for leads just a tone enhance low gain overdrive to push the amp but more tone instead of just db push.
I look forward to getting a new one. I am building a new guitar right now so my budget is tied up.
I have wanted a KLON ever sense I heard of Jeff beck using one years ago. Not sure what he uses these days, but many high end players have KLONs in their drawer. I love lower gain drives and the KLON seems to be designed exactly as I would prefer.

So how does that new puppy sound???? You were lucky to get one of the first runs, now we have to wait for the next batch.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear nut

It (Klon KTR) sounds fantastic. Both used as a boost and as an overdrive(that's how Jeff Beck runs his )
I should have two of them really... :D
Old 14th November 2012
Quote:
So how does that new puppy sound???? You were lucky to get one of the first runs, now we have to wait for the next batch.
I'm liking it. When the amp is on 3, it makes it sound like it's on 5, etc. Rounds out the tone some as well.

I remember hearing the comparison of the Kalamazoo with an original Klon but the gain was pretty cranked on both the Klon and Kalamazoo. I wouldn't call that fair or true to what a Klon does. The Kalamazoo sounded like a good lead pedal, very hairy, but I can't say that I'd use it for Klon like rhythm stuff or to just fatten up an existing tone.

I guess I just want the amp to do the heavy lifting and for the pedal to give it a little bit of a push. That's what the Aluminum Falcon does for me.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear nut

I threw something together quickly in Garageband, using the Klon for the slide part.
Maybe not the typical Klon application, but it's got a incredibly sweet midrange.

http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/klon-timmy
Try to ignore the kick that's off at times, me and drum programming doesn't go to well together yet...
Old 16th November 2012
Gear nut

Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Beautiful tones man. That echo is perfect. Are you using 2 delays like a 1/4 note and dotted 8th? The KLON is a great tone, love it, thanks for the clips.
Great playing, you must have worked some time to get Edge's thing figured out.
Jimmy Page was impressed by Edge's knowledge of effects and massive pedal arrays which he could control and render cool tones.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Beautiful tones man. That echo is perfect. Are you using 2 delays like a 1/4 note and dotted 8th? The KLON is a great tone, love it, thanks for the clips.
Great playing, you must have worked some time to get Edge's thing figured out.
Jimmy Page was impressed by Edge's knowledge of effects and massive pedal arrays which he could control and render cool tones.
Thank you. Just a single delay for this one.
The secret to Edge tone is in the pick used. Really!
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexi View Post
Thank you. Just a single delay for this one.
The secret to Edge tone is in the pick used. Really!
I hear a lot about picks, so what a trade secret?? I have migrated to using those Planet Waves Black Ice picks, smaller jazz type but I really like them and my technique is better with them.

That's bloody good work for a single delay. Edge works out these arrays which baffle me but his playing is pretty simple. I love how he uses effects as a part of the tone and sound, playing them as one plays the guitar, a true pedal effect master.
I was baffled at listening to some really bad demos of the VOX delay lab, sounded like a 6mo player who should not have a delay. Or a delay going into a breaking up amp front in, once you do amp loop on your delays and reverbs there is no going back. Like that Vox unit but still torn between the TC X4 at this point. The Lab does some really weird stuff but I am not sure if any of it can be really used in quality playing. It does have like 30 presets compared to only 4 on the X4 and that ms readout (or at least I think it does ms readout I keep seeing the preset number showing). Anyway I have till next week to decide.
I am getting both the Bogner RED and BLUE pedals so I am pretty pumped.
Old 17th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I hear a lot about picks, so what a trade secret?? I have migrated to using those Planet Waves Black Ice picks, smaller jazz type but I really like them and my technique is better with them.

That's bloody good work for a single delay. Edge works out these arrays which baffle me but his playing is pretty simple. I love how he uses effects as a part of the tone and sound, playing them as one plays the guitar, a true pedal effect master.
I was baffled at listening to some really bad demos of the VOX delay lab, sounded like a 6mo player who should not have a delay. Or a delay going into a breaking up amp front in, once you do amp loop on your delays and reverbs there is no going back. Like that Vox unit but still torn between the TC X4 at this point. The Lab does some really weird stuff but I am not sure if any of it can be really used in quality playing. It does have like 30 presets compared to only 4 on the X4 and that ms readout (or at least I think it does ms readout I keep seeing the preset number showing). Anyway I have till next week to decide.
I am getting both the Bogner RED and BLUE pedals so I am pretty pumped.
Thanks. The "secret" pick is a Herdim nylon pic:

And you use the dimpled edge to get that Edge chime. It's huge part of his sound and is often overlooked.
Here's a clip I made a couple years ago, to show the difference between the regular edge vs the dimpled one.
http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/herdim-pick-1

Dramatic difference!

The new Bogner pedals seems to be a hit, heard some killer demos of both the Blue and Red.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Those remind me of the Dunlop grey nylons I used for years.
Don't you get a real hang on those dimples at times???
I find I really like the smaller Black Ice picks and my playing is more articulate, they are treated as not to be smooth like plastic or others but still do not hang on the strings. I am not sure I could actually play using the dimpled side.

I have a Bogner thread where we are discussing the pedals. One guy has the Red and has put out a demo on it. I have never been so confounded in trying to decide which one to get or both and I really like the Black Uberschall as well. If I did not have a fair assortment of drives and gains it would be an easy choice, probably all three but that would mean shelving some of board as too much duplicate and I am not about to trade off anything again. I do not think I can bring myself to pull off any of the Wampler Pedals as I just dig them so much. I am having a real war over want and not need. I decided on a new delay which I do need, the TC X4 won that mental block.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Having never used an original klon, I bought a Klon klone off eBay for £70 delivered. It sounds great especially as a clean boost. The charge pump and buffer is what makes the difference over other boosts and OD's to my ears. I'm sure side by side they'd be more than close enough considering the price difference. I can't even begin to think why one would pay more than £200 for an overdrive/boost pedal. Half the demos of klons that I've seen, the people need to worry about their playing before they talk about tone anyway. No wonder the second hand price is so exaggerated.

Oh, the Klone is from Ben at KarmaFX on eBay. Sound guy, is fixing my DIY fuzz face that i couldn't get to work too
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search