Orange Amps?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mazrak
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gear maniac

Orange Amps?

Just curious to see opinions on Orange Amps here. I really like their simple design and function. What seem to be the best recording Orange Amps that cover a good range of sounds? I'm not too concerned with clean, but from light crunch to heavy sounds. I do a lot of punk influenced and indie rock, so an amp with a great medium gain crunch. I can use a boost for heavy sounds rather than getting an amp that turns mushy when dialed into high gain.
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Gear interested

I'm in love with the AD 30. I've only used the original single channel version but I spent a few months with it and it was the easiest to play amp I've ever tried. Just beautiful sustain and defined crunch. You can really pick up a lot of nuance from your fingers with it. Much more so than other modern amps (JCM 8/900, DSL, Mesa). I wish I owned one.
Mazrak
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woz View Post
I'm in love with the AD 30. I've only used the original single channel version but I spent a few months with it and it was the easiest to play amp I've ever tried. Just beautiful sustain and defined crunch. You can really pick up a lot of nuance from your fingers with it. Much more so than other modern amps (JCM 8/900, DSL, Mesa). I wish I owned one.
The AD30 and the RV50 are the main I'm looking into at the moment. I'm wondering if the RV50 covers AD30 territory since I might need more gain. But, in the other hand the RV50 might have way too much. I wonder how modern hard rock the AD30 can get boosted, because other than the heavy sounds, it's the Orange I'm drawn to the most.
2nd October 2012
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

The TH30 actually works pretty well, nice warm clean and pretty heavy on the drive channel. Decent weight and power for small gigs, and with a mic it'll do really big gigs!
2nd October 2012
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear addict

Don't discount the Tiny and Dual Terrors. There's a lot of really good tones in those little buggers, especially through a nice cab.
2nd October 2012
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

I love the terrors, and th30 but my absolute favorite of the Orange line is the AD30. Its very bright & tight compared to the others I mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
3rd October 2012
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear maniac

Big orange fan here. If you're into punk, i'd say the Rockerverb 50. It's really a great studio amp on top of being a killer rock amp.

The AD30 is awesome too, just different. More Vox-ey in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either, but the RV50 might be more what you're looking for.

kp
4th October 2012
Old 4th October 2012
Gear nut

Just got a TH30. Playing it through a Zilla 2x12 with a V30 and G12H.
Sounds AMAZING with my Tokai strat with Suhr V60s. Articulate, crunchy and the clean channel cranked is to die for.
Not so impressed with it using humbuckers (Epi LP with Seymour Duncans, older Hohner SG - both great sounding axes).

The voicing is pretty dark. My Fender and Selmer Amps usually render my Tokai/Jap Jaguar/Danelectro guitars pretty icepicky. The Orange makes these axes sing.

The drive channel cant really do modern metal, the bottom is not tight enough but Sabbathy type stuff is doable.
The cool thing is the drive channel remains really articulate even at high gains.

Build quality is good, esp. for a PRC amp.
On the whole, loving it.

8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Orange has something brit-flavored for everyone, really. For "punk influenced indie," I'd suspect you'd love the AD30, especially the twin channel, which'll give you more versatility. Single channels are pretty easy to score in good shape on *that auction site* for under a grand. They're smoother, better sustain than the twin channel, but the twin channel will get you a lot of sounds.

Their sort of flagship amp are the Rockerverbs. Great amps, but I play a similar style to you, and once I put the gain above about 1 o'clock, it becomes madness to me. Too compressed and stone-y. Great amp, just certainly way beyond "punk influenced indie."
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
Good for specific types of music, mainly heavy IMO. Well-built (the good ones), glassy cleans. I like the bare bones kind of feel they have.

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search