How did he get THIS sound?
Moogerfooger
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear interested

How did he get THIS sound?

Hey everybody,

Donavon Frankenreiter - "That's Too Bad" Live From Montreux 2011 - YouTube

I'm wondering how Donavon got this sound. Is it the Marshall in the back? Is it a pedal? I'm currently using a Strat with an old vintage original Fender Super Reverb which is definitly great for clean. I'm getting my overdrive with the EH English Muff'n but I can't get such a rich and warm lead overdrive/distortion sound. Is it possible to get this sound with my Super Reverb?

Cheers!
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Have you actually put your Super on 8 or 9?

There's nothing particlarly special about it--I mean, he's not really playing the riff on the intro, if that's what you mean. That's the humbucker. Thing is, it does sound like a wound out Fender--but, EARLY Marhsalls wound out are not really that different. I mean, they're different, but a 50wt Plexi on 9...a nice Bassman or Super on 9...

But, yes, you can approximate with a pedal. It's not very dirty. The EH things, IME, are singing compressed distortion. You want the sound of an amp turned up...which is better with a Black Box Bluesbreaker pedal...or a Barber Small Fry in "blackface mode"...something with a mid bump and OD. Eternity Drive is a nice flexible OD pedal...

But, you should be able to get that by opening up the Super, IMO. Now, whether your gigs will ALLOW such volume-whole different discussion.
Moogerfooger
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Gear interested

Thank you very much,
Yeah, you know, I have turned it up in studio and I can get some good overdrive out of it. But it doesn't have switchable channels for live usage and most of the time I need the clean settings. I think I'll try some of those pedals. Thanks!

Cheers
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

A lot of players ride their volume knob for clean tones. Works great.
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

Yes...by the time you've got the power tubes compressing that hard you can use the volume knob.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search