tplaysguitar
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Head

Jet City Amps?

Hey guys

I was looking for a good tube amp that's affordable and I came across the Jet City JCA50H. Either that or the JCA22H. They seem awesome for the price - FX loop, two channels, okay clean tone (especially with the 50w version), huge amount of gain, reverb.

Designed by soldano, but made in China.

Anyone used these? The demos sound great, I'm gonna try and go play one and see what I think.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm playing a Guild Bluesbird, playing lots of classic rock, some jazz, a tiny bit of metal. So I'd like a nice warm clean tone all the way to really heavy.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Tristan
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Gear maniac

They are excellent budget amplifiers and definitely capable for classic rock and metal, not so sure bout jazz though. I used to own a JCA20 combo for awhile, would've kept it around if it was the head version instead.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Head

I have heard really good things about them. Especially at their price.

I ended up buying a JET CITY cabinet for my studio. I only had a 4x12 and I wanted a 2x12 but I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money. The Jet city 2x12 was not only cheap, it ended up sounding like it cost 3 times as much.

I'd think it would do. If it's got an fx loop, you can always get you another pre amp and use that tube power amp down the road.

I use a 6505 for recording most of my tracks. But I don't use the 6505's pre amp. Just it's power amp. As long as I have a tube power amp I'm good. GSP 1101 plugged into the fx loop by passes the pre amp and It's the most amazing set up I've ever owned. I can literally get any tone I can think of in my head.

Black Star has some good combo's that can do a lot of tones. I own an HT-40, tube pre amp with some circuits and a tube power amp. Not expensive, sounds amazing. And although it's not a modeling amp, because of all the different switches and knobs you can get about any tone you want out of the thing.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear maniac

I'm not a fan of the custom Eminence speakers in the JC cabinets and combos, and that was a major reason I sold the combo I owned. Honestly, I really don't like any Eminence speakers I've owned at this point.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
I'm not a fan of the custom Eminence speakers in the JC cabinets and combos, and that was a major reason I sold the combo I owned. Honestly, I really don't like any Eminence speakers I've owned at this point.
I'm digging them. I'm about to put v30's in the 4x12 but I'm keeping the eminence speakers in the Jet City. It's a nice cabinet. But everyone has their preference.

What was your issue with the eminence speakers? I know the speakers have stuff to do with your tone but honestly it's more in the guitar and amp for me. I can plug my set up in that cab or a mesa cab with v30's and I pretty much sound the same. Very subtle difference.

But there are people who notice speakers more than me. I notice amp tone and every little thing to do with the tone of the amp but the speakers I'm playing through I honestly don't usually care what they are unless it sounds like complete crap. And this cab sounds good and it's cheap.

Are you a v30 guy?
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaysguitar View Post
Hey guys

I came across the Jet City JCA50H. Either that or the JCA22H. Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Tristan
Hi Tristan, these amps are complete garbage.

Look into Bruno or similar.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirepro40 View Post
I'm digging them. I'm about to put v30's in the 4x12 but I'm keeping the eminence speakers in the Jet City. It's a nice cabinet. But everyone has their preference.

What was your issue with the eminence speakers? I know the speakers have stuff to do with your tone but honestly it's more in the guitar and amp for me. I can plug my set up in that cab or a mesa cab with v30's and I pretty much sound the same. Very subtle difference.

But there are people who notice speakers more than me. I notice amp tone and every little thing to do with the tone of the amp but the speakers I'm playing through I honestly don't usually care what they are unless it sounds like complete crap. And this cab sounds good and it's cheap.

Are you a v30 guy?
To me, the cabinet is of equal important to the amplifier. I notice a huge difference between cabinets, even when using the same speakers. The speakers especially sound different when under the mic. I wouldn't call myself a Vintage 30 guy, but they are my go-to for rock, although for band stage use I actually like k85s, t75s, and greenbacks variants.

The JC Eminence speakers and most speakers from that company I've used seem to have more sizzle than crunch, if that makes any sense. They seem much flatter than Celestions general are.
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Jc amps are horrible. If you want budget and low wattage try black heart or the vht 6. Or if you want a 20 watt all tube amp try the egnanter.

I bought all of them to compare and the JC was crap.
tplaysguitar
21st July 2012
Old 21st July 2012
Gear Head

Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses.

It sounds like a jet city is not what i want. Ill probly go try one anyway eventually. :P
also, i tried an egnater renegade and really disliked it. I liked the tube blend options and all the knobs and switches, but i didnt like the feel of it.

Thanks for the suggestions
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaysguitar View Post
Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses.

It sounds like a jet city is not what i want. Ill probly go try one anyway eventually. :P
also, i tried an egnater renegade and really disliked it. I liked the tube blend options and all the knobs and switches, but i didnt like the feel of it.

Thanks for the suggestions
Try JC, Egnator and everything else. Include Top Hat, 65, Bruno, Quinn, see if you hear a difference that PTP makes.
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear addict

Can't believe all the hate here, I've got 2 Jet City amps (JCA20 and 50) and they're great!
I've previously owned Marshall DSL, Orange TH30, Peavey 6505, Peavey Triple X, Peavey Windsor. The Jet City can hold it's own to ANY of those amps!

Tristan, check out this thread I have over on the Sneap forum, since posting this more than half a dozen guys there have run out and bought Jet City amps!

NAD! Jet City JCA50! - Ultimate Metal Forum

I've not had much chance to mess with it in a rock/clean setting yet but I'm sure it will fare just as well as it does for metal.
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoire520 View Post
Can't believe all the hate here, I've previously owned Marshall DSL, Orange TH30, Peavey 6505, Peavey Triple X, Peavey Windsor
Compared to that garbage, JC is less garbage. Still crap next to a Top Hat or real deal vintage.

Nothin but love bro, tryin to help ya out. Sooner or later you'll understand. Play a Top Hat & you'll understand quick what I'm talking about.
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear addict

Plenty of world class touring bands using the above amps, particularly the DSL and 6505. Hardly what I'd call garbage. Though I guess I'm just not snobby enough to write off anything that isn't point to point hand wired
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Plenty of world class touring bands using the above amps, particularly the DSL and 6505. Hardly what I'd call garbage. Though I guess I'm just not snobby enough to write off anything that isn't point to point hand wired
Endorsees? Sure, they'll play that crap and make a killin doing it. Doesn't mean it's what they prefer.

Top Hat Amp (Prototype) Demo -Marshall Amp Front End- - YouTube

Top hat Emplexador MkI (2) - YouTube

Tophat Club Royale - YouTube

Champions of Chime - Top Hat Amps Club Royale - YouTube

Brian's not the only game in town. But his amps are DAMN hard to beat, imo.
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Gear maniac

Yeah, the 6505, the staple amplifier in modern rock... is crap.

JCA are quality amps for the money. This is coming from someone who's owned everything from Fender to Engl to Cornford.
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, if you can't get a good rock sound out of a DSL the problem isn't the amp...
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Gear addict

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Don't get me wrong those Top Hat's seem cool if you're into the whole chimey/crunchy thing, but I'm not hearing anything that's blowing my socks off compared to other stuff and I certainly don't think those amps are capable of of high gain rock/metal sounds (so they'd be a bit useless for the OP)
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Don't get me wrong those Top Hat's seem cool if you're into the whole chimey/crunchy thing, but I'm not hearing anything that's blowing my socks off compared to other stuff and I certainly don't think those amps are capable of of high gain rock/metal sounds (so they'd be a bit useless for the OP)

Top Hat Emplexador MkI (1) - YouTube

If only (insert metal god here) ______________________ had an amp that sounds this good.

New Mesa, new Marshall, new fangles flavor of the month amp, not so much.

This is as good as guitar tone can possibly get. The journey ends here my fellow gearslutz...
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post

Top Hat Emplexador MkI (1) - YouTube

If only (insert metal god here) ______________________ had an amp that sounds this good.

New Mesa, new Marshall, new fangles flavor of the month amp, not so much.

This is as good as guitar tone can possibly get. The journey ends here my fellow gearslutz...
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. This tone wouldn't have worked in my old band. I used a 6505, tweaked the knobs, and I had the perfect tone for my needs. I didn't even need to use pedals, it just worked and did a great job at that.

For more rock and blues based music I'm sure this amp would be awesome, but to say it's the end-all, be-all of guitar tone is a stretch.
26th July 2012
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

A client of mine, (nofx style poohrah!) bought one into the studio for several sessions. I have many vintage Marshall 4 inputs on hand ( 100w and 50w), Mesa Boogie duel rec, Marshall Jubilee, 5150, Fender bassmans('66, '68, '76)
and they also brought in thier JCM 800.

We were all surprised in regards to the sound JC. The sound of the JC is different, for certain. Crap? Subjective. The JCs break up in a certain fizzy way that might be good depending on the type of rock one is recording. The JC worked out for us and we used the matching 4x12 cabinet which is lighter and smaller than your standard marshall et al cab.

Try before you buy if possible.
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Head

Crap is indeed subjective. But some people have tricked their brains into thinking things that don't exist. I have seen people buy very very expensive rare amp's and because of the price they have paid they have forced themselves to believe it sounds light years beyond an amp a fraction of the price, and in all reality, it doesn't.
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear addict

As long as you don't need a truly clean channel the amps are great. I had a jca22 and sold it because it wouldn't clean up. The 2 channels are gain and high gain, the high gain channel was really cool though. Like a lot of soldano amps it sounds better the louder it gets, crank that baby up and it sounds oh so sweet.
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirepro40 View Post
Crap is indeed subjective. But some people have tricked their brains into thinking things that don't exist. I have seen people buy very very expensive rare amp's and because of the price they have paid they have forced themselves to believe it sounds light years beyond an amp a fraction of the price, and in all reality, it doesn't.
Ok, but I just saw a Club Royale go for $747 on ebay 2 weeks ago. Not exactly something you need to make payments on....
29th July 2012
Old 29th July 2012
Gear Head

i've contacted jetcity about getting a dealer here in winnipeg.

I definitely want to try one out.

i doubt it'll be compare to a 3000 dollar SOLDANO but it's worth a shot.

my current amp that i play live with all the time is Peavey Windsor. And price aside it'll always either be backing me up or fronting me live. best 300 bucks i've ever spent.
29th July 2012
Old 29th July 2012
Gear addict

I actually traded my Windsor to get my JCA50, couldn't be happier!
30th July 2012
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Jet City amps are really good, and Soldano amps are great. You can get some varied tones with it, and they have a good clean section for being capable of such good high-gain sounds
31st July 2012
Old 31st July 2012
Gear maniac

1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Gear interested

Jet City 50w

Ive been a Marshall man for 35 years, am currently gigging with a Marshall 50w and 100w DSL.
I bought a Jet City 50w head with 2 x 12 Cabinet as the price was too good to refuse.
Lets forget about the money,the looks and where it is made and just concentrate on the sound.

With everything set at 12 'clock with added base and treble, the amp held it's own compared to my 50w Marshall.
If anybody says this amp sounds like crap then all I can say is that you don't know how to work the amp to its best potential - it took me a while to sort it out but jeeeezuz,this thing roars like a lion with a red hot poker stuck up its ars.
One thing I must say it did sound a lot better with my Marshall 4x12 cab but that is expected.
For any muso struggling to buy a big name amp just so you can look cool inside your own head, Dont waste your money on a logo.
These Jet City amps sound great and I'll be gigging with it no worries at all.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search