New Reply
Subscribe
DCommand
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Gear addict

Kemper amp is that good?

Is it that good?
I´m into buying a new digital amp simulation and thorght of AXE FX II but a lot seems to go from that to Kemper, maybe i need to look into that "amp" as well?

Hm....?
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gear maniac

Yes, its really good. As I said in another thread Im mainly a guitar player (20years experience) and I really hated all the amp sims out there until the Kemper.

I bought the Kemper over the Axe II, since to me the sound was the most important thing,

the Axe is very good but sounds more processed - Kemper sounds more raw like a real amp.

Kemper comes really close to a real amp, not 100% but really close. Most of the time I doubt that in a mix you are going to notice that it was recorded with a Kemper vs a real amp

Even that the Kemper is kind of new there are already thousands of profiles uploaded by users of tons of amps even for bass.

I can't wait for big studios/engineers to begin selling pro profiles, that would be awesome and hope it happens.
Attached Images
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

In a mix you're likley to love the Kemper, as once you get a mic placement or profile you like, you are set...and there are oodles of great profiles. I hate modelers and love tube amps, but this KPA is flat out awesome!
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Some of the clips Iv'e heard got me asking the same question.Pretty amazing one little box can get that close to the real deal.
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gear nut

I'm really really really close to pulling the trigger myself on the KPA. I suggest you head over to gearpage and check out the clips posted by David Splatt/Torn. His clips have pretty much convinced me, kinda great that it is more versatile than I expected too. By all accounts incredible tones, helped obviously by him being..an incredible player I couldn't pull that out KPA stuff out in a mix as not being a tube amp at all. It all seems too good to be true though..what's the catch??!

I do have a question for any current owners, is it possible yet to go out the digital out in parallel to the analogue out so you can capture a decent straight DI as well as the KPA to give you the option of Reamping if ever you want the option?
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gear maniac

Yes you can record a processed signal and a dry signal simultaneously, the Kemper has a separate direct output for this, and better yet, the dry signal doesn't pass thru any conversion stage so it isn't degraded by going a/d/a

it goes like this:

Kemper stereo master output or spdif > to interface for the processed signal

Kemper direct output mono out > interface for the dry signal

So you end with 3 tracks recorded, 2 processed and 1 dry

The only minus is that the digital i/o is fixed at 44.1
Attached Thumbnails
Kemper amp is that good?-kemper_back.jpg  
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gear interested

I've 15 yrs of guitar playing experience. I've never heard anything like it in the digital realm. The coolest part is the endless supply of new sounds (if you want them) and that you can create your own sounds from scratch and tweak them to sound even better (in a given context). There are a few drawbacks, such as the aforementioned lack of digital connectivity options, and the lack of deep effects tweaking/routing. But if you're like a lot of us, and care most about the raw amp sound and spending more time playing than tweaking, this thing is definitely for you.
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

I am tempted also...,
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

I just got a Kemper and absolutely love the sounds I'm getting. I also have an Axe Fx II which I am a fan of, but find I'm really gravitating to the ease of use of the KPA. I'm not a huge tweaker and many of the KPA user-uploaded profiles are pretty much plug and play. And the knobs on the front panel make it easy to fine-tune things if necessary.

I don't think I'm ready to go live with it yet, as I had a couple crashes which required me to reformat the device. But considering the Kemper is still in it's infancy, there are bound to be a couple bugs to be worked out. However, it seems like they are really focused on continual improvements and firmware updates.

Luckily I'm in a position right now where I don't have to choose between the Axe II and the KPA. They each have their pros and cons and I will continue to use both depending on the situation.
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

I heard it at NAMM and was impressed...
DCommand
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Gear addict

Kemper

Yeah, it seems the way to go, i was into buying the Axe FX II but i´ll go for the kemper :-)
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Head

By the vidz I've seen on Youtube, it sounds great! I was pretty impressed by the idea.

cheers
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrain View Post
Yes you can record a processed signal and a dry signal simultaneously, the Kemper has a separate direct output for this, and better yet, the dry signal doesn't pass thru any conversion stage so it isn't degraded by going a/d/a

it goes like this:

Kemper stereo master output or spdif > to interface for the processed signal

Kemper direct output mono out > interface for the dry signal

So you end with 3 tracks recorded, 2 processed and 1 dry

The only minus is that the digital i/o is fixed at 44.1
Cheers for answering my question Astrain Hopefully gonna try a unit by the end of the month before I make my final decision, but so far, I am pretty convinced!!

if the whole chain is captured in the profiling process, when you guys record your guitars straight through the kemper using an already contained profile, are you bypassing your current pre's? Else you would be sort of doubling up pre colouring would you not? Sorry, tis difficult to get my head round this profiling business!!
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

I've been playing guitar since the 70s (yipe!) and I've used all sorts of tools to get "tone." While I've had good results from everything from traditional amps to software, the Kemper is truly a "game changer" in my opinion. When the Axe FX came out I dismissed it. While I thought it sounded great, it still sounded like an amp modeler to me. I dismissed it as not being significantly better than the last round of software modelers, especially at that price.

Then I heard my first Kemper demo and I instantly heard something. Something I definitively wasn't getting in amp modelers, hardware or software. Something in the "crunch." More than that... I could get all flowery, but I think experienced players who've used tube amps know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure why they haven't posted wav files for examples because the Youtube videos they have don't really paint a clear picture of how good the sound quality really is.

As for "flexibility" I made up for the simplicity of the Kemper's signal path by augmenting it with a Line6 HD500. I haven't gotten around to configuring it as a MIDI controller yet (that's the plan) but as a supplementary effect processor it's excellent. I just run it mono though the effect loop and that's that. One thing I've found is that it's amps can be used as fuzz boxes in front of Kemper amps with great results. This isn't to say the Kemper's effects aren't good. They're actually amazing. The HD500 is just some extra spice.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Gear addict

I'm interested in it, but with a couple of amps laying around the house plus Guitar Rig and Amp Designer it seems like I could drop nearly $2k in a lot more constructive manner. Maybe when the KPA2 comes out I can snag an older model.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yes, it is that good.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Gear addict

I'd like to hear some Bass Amp sounds as this may swing it for me ........
kj
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
I'd like to hear some Bass Amp sounds as this may swing it for me ........
kj
Here's the weird thing, it doesn't come with a single bass profile. However, I've downloaded all of the user profiles, and this thing does indeed to bass really well. I'm not sure why they didn't include some bass amps. I'd post examples but I'm swamped with work stuff at the moment. I've petitioned Kemper to update the included amps with a decent complement of bass amps but I'm not sure if they'll do it.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear addict

I'd love to hearthe bass - My other worry is a mk2 will comeout pretty soon (like anything software based) and theoriginals will plumet in value ....
DCommand
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear addict

Kemper on it´s way :-)

Ordered it today!!
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Gear addict

don´t think that a new version will come out soon (it is not on the market for soo long) i guess we´ll even have to wait for a 19" version for some time
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Ordered it today!!
Congratulations! Let us know your thoughts after you've gotten your head round it! Am possibly picking up a unit tomorrow...depends on how in love I feel when I demo it
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

I'm really really tempted by one of these, could make quick and dirty sessions a lot easier and would be great for reamping etc
13th July 2012
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
I'd love to hearthe bass - My other worry is a mk2 will comeout pretty soon (like anything software based) and theoriginals will plumet in value ....
Yeah, I love me a Hartkey bass amp too. My last bass amp was a Hartkey. I'm not sure anyone's profiled one yet, I haven't checked the exchange in a while. If Kemper doesn't provide some bass amp profiles soon I'll have to start looking for some friends who have amps I can borrow. There's a guy who did a bunch of profiles and he sells them commercially under the name "Amp Factory" but alas, no bass amps there either.
15th July 2012
Old 15th July 2012
Gear maniac

When asked about why no bass profiles included Christop Kemper answered in the Kemper Forums:

True, we are focussing on guitar, and it's good to focus for a reasonable time.
But we always had bass players in mind.
I am happy to see bass players taking over.
The instrument input is capable of taking an active bass. Please take care to adjust Clean Sense in the input section to your level.
We have even generalized a bass paradigm: Most of our Chorus effects feature a Crossover parameter that remains the important bass fundamental unprocessed and stable. This is known from a famous bass chorus, but we found it also helps other instruments.

A famous german band (Die Toten Hosen, german charts leader) used the Profiler for their new album and play three Profilers on stage (Rock Am Ring). Two guitars and one bass.

Link to thread About bass amp ? - KPA related discussions - Kemper Amps Forum

Will be great to get feedback from bass players!

CK
16th July 2012
Old 16th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrain View Post
When asked about why no bass profiles included Christop Kemper answered in the Kemper Forums:

True, we are focussing on guitar, and it's good to focus for a reasonable time.
But we always had bass players in mind.
I am happy to see bass players taking over.
The instrument input is capable of taking an active bass. Please take care to adjust Clean Sense in the input section to your level.
We have even generalized a bass paradigm: Most of our Chorus effects feature a Crossover parameter that remains the important bass fundamental unprocessed and stable. This is known from a famous bass chorus, but we found it also helps other instruments.

A famous german band (Die Toten Hosen, german charts leader) used the Profiler for their new album and play three Profilers on stage (Rock Am Ring). Two guitars and one bass.

Link to thread About bass amp ? - KPA related discussions - Kemper Amps Forum

Will be great to get feedback from bass players!

CK
Yeah, and my feedback was, "Put up or shut up." Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the Kemper's ability to do good bass amps, but the fact remains that it comes with zero and the rig-pack update also contained zero bass amps. (not including the Fender Bassmans [Bassmen?] which I don't consider very good for bass guitar.
16th July 2012
Old 16th July 2012
Lives for gear

One thing I really like about amps is playing in the room with them and the different amounts of feedback you can play with. Are you guys able to emulate that with the Kemper by playing back through the monitors?

Not trying to diss Kemper just to clarify.
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
One thing I really like about amps is playing in the room with them and the different amounts of feedback you can play with. Are you guys able to emulate that with the Kemper by playing back through the monitors?

Yes you are able to do that, and at lower volumes than with a real amp as you can dial the gain higher (in most case) than the original amp could go. The feedback is natural and harmonic and controllable as you'd hope and expect just like the original amps, unlike most other amp sims which while they can give feedback with enough air being pushed tend to give that horrible a-harmonic digital type that sounds more like bad microphonic feedback.

Bear in mind too you're not limited to just using studio monitors, you can also disable the cab emulation section and shove it through a clean poweramp and normal guitar cab or a powered wedge with a bit more oompf to shift the air properly and get that "in the room" sound and feel.

Oh and to the OP - yes it really is that good.

And to the guy who said he already has x number of amps - that's even better, the Kemper is even more fun if you have existing amps to profile with it, and that allows you to take your existing amp tone with your anywhere on a USB thumbdrive instead of having to lug the whole amp around with you (well provided wherever you're going has a Kemper, otherwise you gotta bring your KPA, but it's not that huge). I'd say if you have an existing amp collection that's actually a greater incentive to get a Kemper both as a creative tool and as a handy rig backup.
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post

Feedback is about moving air and if you can move enough air with your monitors to put some of that energy back in your strings, you can do it with any amp sim. Has nothing to do with amp or not amp.

However, I always recommend looking into installing a Sustainiac to any guitar that's going to be used for "bedroom" recording situations where moving a lot of air isn't always a good idea for neighborly relations. There's also a model that just clips on to your headstock that seems to work really well. It's actually putting kinetic energy back in your string like the real deal.
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Ordered it today!!
Dcommand, your Kemper arrived yet? I imagine you've been playing on it ever since it arrived!

Just ordered mine Decided to take the plunge before even trying one. If stuff sounds THAT good even on youtube, methinks it's worth the risk!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search