Login / Register

Kemper amp is that good?
New Reply
Subscribe
31st October 2012
Old 31st October 2012
Gear addict

Wow, look at that bass!! I usually cut out that frequency on the guitar tracks. I am sure i'll work out the way to track and mix in guitar from the kemprr. There was a heap ov tuning tuning possibilities it the unit, with that of the eq on the preamp. IM excited

Sent from my GT-N7000B
31st October 2012
Old 31st October 2012
Gear maniac

You guys are going to kill by bank account. Really want one of these.
31st October 2012
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I think it's due to the stacking effect of quad tracking everything. Possibly also has something to do with the fact that the real amps are dual mic'd (SM57 + M201TG) and the profile is sort of a 50/50 hybrid of the two mics.

I guess I'll have to mess around with the advanced cab settings more, I only tried them for a while and the tone I got out wasn't really what I was after. I just felt that me trying to fix it through the menus would most likely result in a less accurate tone compared to the real thing. :D

I haven't really tried to fix the issue that way yet to be honest. Once we finish recording I'll have more time to delve into the deep editing side of it.

EDIT: Here's the eq curve of the differences made with Ozone match eq, the boosted freq are the ones missing from the Kemper. I'll have to try to apply this eq to the Kemper tracks and see if it fixes the issue.

Edit2: It indeed did fix the issues I was getting.
Good that it's just an EQ issue, but I have a question about the profiles that you made, how long did you spend refining them? This is the step that makes the biggest difference to the EQ matching curve for me, and sometimes I end up refining for quite a long time before it hits the spot.

In fact sometimes the first profile I make when entering profiling mode sucks and I have to start from scratch as no amount of refining seems to fix it, I'm not sure why (it could be a bug, or perhaps some bg noise got in during the initial profiling test signals pass).

One tip that I've found invaluable is to use SPDIF and set up a dry guitar track to re-amp (and re-record) during profiling. It's the only clear way to match them against each other without hearing more from the amp during playback than you want. I've suggested that Christoph add a re-amp loop during profiling in order to hear the sound side by side so you don't have to do this and he seemed to like the idea on the forum, but it's yet to make an appearance.
col
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
col
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Good that it's just an EQ issue, but I have a question about the profiles that you made, how long did you spend refining them?
I think you're missing the issue here. The profiles sound great, 99% the same on their own as the real amps. It's when you start stacking tracks and applying post eq to them the issue surfaces. That eq curve is not for a single track, it's for a quad tracked, two amp mix stereo track.

I'll have to see if it's just my recording interface that's imparting its signature sound on the Kemper tracks (since they sort of go through it twice, first during profiling and then during recording). I'll try recording through s/pdif, now I've been going from main outs to line in.
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

You should see that same EQ difference on a single track too, although it may not be quite so pronounced. In which case your best bet is to fix that during refining as that's when the EQ curve is set up.

It's often hard to hear though during refining without recording the a/b at that time because of the way the amp stays on regardless of source which masks the bottom end especially.
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Sofa King
Quote:
One tip that I've found invaluable is to use SPDIF and set up a dry guitar track to re-amp (and re-record) during profiling. It's the only clear way to match them against each other without hearing more from the amp during playback than you want. I've suggested that Christoph add a re-amp loop during profiling in order to hear the sound side by side so you don't have to do this and he seemed to like the idea on the forum, but it's yet to make an appearance.
Can you please explain this process in a bit more detail, Im not following.
Looking to learn as much as I can.
Thanks for your time!

best,
Sean

http://www.seanmcdonald.com
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I think it's due to the stacking effect of quad tracking everything. Possibly also has something to do with the fact that the real amps are dual mic'd (SM57 + M201TG) and the profile is sort of a 50/50 hybrid of the two mics.

I guess I'll have to mess around with the advanced cab settings more, I only tried them for a while and the tone I got out wasn't really what I was after. I just felt that me trying to fix it through the menus would most likely result in a less accurate tone compared to the real thing. :D

I haven't really tried to fix the issue that way yet to be honest. Once we finish recording I'll have more time to delve into the deep editing side of it.

EDIT: Here's the eq curve of the differences made with Ozone match eq, the boosted freq are the ones missing from the Kemper. I'll have to try to apply this eq to the Kemper tracks and see if it fixes the issue.

Edit2: It indeed did fix the issues I was getting.
have you thought of doing three or two profiles one of the sm57 and one of the m201gt and maybe a third of the 50/50 hybrid , so your not getting 4 tracks of the same eq'd sound
col
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
col
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman_uk View Post
have you thought of doing three or two profiles one of the sm57 and one of the m201gt and maybe a third of the 50/50 hybrid , so your not getting 4 tracks of the same eq'd sound
That would not be the same sound we get with the tube amps, which is the whole point of the Kemper?
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
That would not be the same sound we get with the tube amps, which is the whole point of the Kemper?
youve lost me alittle there ?

i dont own a kemper or have ever used one so i dont know what it will do well or poorly.

i thought the point of using mulitiple takes with different amps and eq settings was to thicken the sound up , so would not a blend of different mic profiles on a couple of amps give you the same thing ?
col
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
col
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman_uk View Post
youve lost me alittle there ?
I guess you haven't understood the way I'm using the Kemper correctly then.

We're using it as a substitute for the real amps when we can't record with them due to noise constraints at the rehearsal space. Meaning, we need it to be as accurate as possible so that switching between real amps and Kemper won't change a thing. Now I need to treat the Kemper tracks way differently than the tube amp tracks to end up with a mix that sounds identical. Capisce?
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
Can you please explain this process in a bit more detail, Im not following.
Looking to learn as much as I can.
Thanks for your time!

best,
Sean
Hi, sure.

My set up for this is guitar->interface->(spdif)Kemper and then the standard kemper->amp->mic->kemper (although i have a preamp on the mic).

So what you then do is make your profile, if the first one is sounding whack just pick the "start new profile" option and make a second one, that usually sorts out any initial problems, refine it as much as you need, then in your DAW software of choice record guitar in (dry) track, and if you want also the kemper SPDIF return track.

Now the neat thing about the KPA is that it can also be used to re-amp, so all you do is press the a/b switches on the KPA to pick what source you want to use to record, in the DAW send the dry guitar track to the spdif out, and then record the return, repeat the process with the other output selected on the KPA (amp or KPA) and then you can play back both in the DAW and hear the difference directly between what the KPA sounds like and what the real amp sounds like as recorded using that signal chain.

Doing things that way means that you can focus on the feel and tone separately, the feel should get there from standard refining, but the tone, the eq should match up on the recorded tracks, and it's much easier to hear side by side without also hearing the guitar amp playing in the background and covering up the differences.

Anyhow, hope that helps.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear maniac

Pulled the trigger on the Kemper and I'm amazed. I've never liked sims or digital boxes for guitar amp effects before, but this is a whole new level

What's the best way to hook this up? I've connected the main XLR outs to the back of my interface with balanced cables, but do I need a DI for the dry out and a re-amp box for the alt in? or is there another, more effecient way to connect it up?

Was thinking about buying the re-amp kit from Radial but need to find out if it'll do the trick first. I also record at 48k or 96k, never 44.1 so I feel the spdif is out of the question.

Opinions/truthbombs?

x

Everything I said is just my 0.02 cents and not to be taken too seriously! I don't mean any harm, even if I inadvertently caused some!
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Personally I use SPDIF which allows me to re-amp via the KPA as well as record with a lower latency. The downside is indeed the fact that the KPA has to be the master (yuck) and that you have to use 44.1 (double yuck). I'd go lend your support on the Kemper forum telling Christoph that the KPA needs to support at least 48k and slave mode.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear maniac

Man, guess I should have got an eleven rack
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
Man, guess I should have got an eleven rack
Only if you don't value tone and feel!

You should be able to reamp through the unit using your own method, I just use SPDIF but many don't, ask on the Kemper forums as you'll get a better response there from other users who're using the analog I/O.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Only if you don't value tone and feel!

You should be able to reamp through the unit using your own method, I just use SPDIF but many don't, ask on the Kemper forums as you'll get a better response there from other users who're using the analog I/O.
Jokes still don't transmit over the internet, some things technology just can't fix eh?

I asked on the kemper forums, but no response yet. I'll wait it out and sure I'll get there in the end. No rush to re-amp right now

I've plugged the direct out of the KPA into the HiZ input of my interface for now. after thinking about it and looking around, it seems a little labs redeye would be my best bet. I'd have to switch the redeye when I want to reamp/record the dry signal, but I think it's a good solution.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

no need for DI-box as far as i know..as for reamping...lets just hope that support for higher sample rate will come in a future update...

using the spdif just avoids a lot of ad/da conversions
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
man are they ever going to let you use spdif as slave?
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Gear addict

I got my kemper into a band scenario, and WOW. My own profiles i made are kicking ass but the downloaded ones are insane!!!!!! better then the actual amps they have copied, its tighter with all the fullness of the real amp. the noisegate is much better than anything i have ever used before too.

Maybe this is the reason....
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I got my kemper into a band scenario, and WOW. My own profiles i made are kicking ass but the downloaded ones are insane!!!!!! better then the actual amps they have copied, its tighter with all the fullness of the real amp. the noisegate is much better than anything i have ever used before too.

Maybe this is the reason....
Funny guy!
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear nut

I use the Kemper for creative sound design - a really great product!!
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear Head

I'm still loving mine! Load things up from TAF- and click that red button.
col
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
col
Gear maniac

Just to add to my posts in this thread, I still have the Kemper and I love it. It has its own character that you have to learn to live with but once I had done a few albums with it I think I know how to use it to the full potential.
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear addict

Still love mine after over a year.

Plus: g.a.s.ing for a new amp or stompboxes is over!
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
Still love mine after over a year.

Plus: g.a.s.ing for a new amp or stompboxes is over!
Right! ;-)

I didn't dive into the user library yet. Is it worth the effort?
Synclavier/Emulator II+/Lexicon 224/Fucifier/Q-Faktor/Rockruepel/Curve Bender/Museq/UBK Fatso/H8000FW/Prophet 12 & VS/Sherman/Culture Vulture/Clavia G2 & Nord Wave/Sunsyn/CS60 & FS1R & TX16W & TX81Z/Metasonix TM6 & R54/Quantec QRS & 2493/Retro 176 & Powerstrip/Microwave Green Machine/ATC-Xi/Lemur/V-Synth GT & D-550 & JD990 & S770/500 and Doepfer modules from Burl, Livewire, MOTM etc./OP-1/Rhodes Chroma/Burl Bomber ADC/Apollo/Pelonis 4288MKII
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear addict

"Sultan" preset is my go to sound for funky an really clean sound. Also love that one for jingly fender rhodes sounds
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yep. I bought a second one to run dual amps/stereo. AWESOME.
3 Days Ago
Old 3 Days Ago
Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

I've been intrigued with the KEMPER since I first saw it demo'ed years ago. The idea of creating the sounds of literally 100's of AMP/Speaker combinations realistically sounds like recording nirvana to me.

But, it is not cheap, and I am not convinced yet that this is the way to go. Something about having all kinds of gear in my studio that I can't let go of yet. :=)

JK
3 Days Ago
Old 3 Days Ago
Lives for gear

still love mine, love the amp factory profiles the best

sold my fractal 2

between my real 65 amps amp and the kemper i have everything i need covered
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search