Variable Crossover Stompbox
New Reply
Subscribe
eshepherd
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Gear nut

Variable Crossover Stompbox

Hey slutz, I am pretty surprised that there seems to be such a shortage of pedals offering this ability. I am looking to run my bass through the pedal, so the low frequencies go through a specific fx line, and the high another. I have seen good reviews for the Peavey BAC-2 (although not variable), but it doesn't seem to be made anymore. Same with the SFX X&M.

I see tons of crossover products, but most seem to be line level (like Rane AC-22S ), so they would not work plugging my bass into them. If the pedal has a cool effect that would be awesome, but I am also satisfied with just the crossover aspect. (the Boss CEB-3 looks like it may be able to do this, without being variable, but I would like something true-bypass if possible)
Thanks a ton in advance!
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Gear nut

Any recommendations of guys that do custom pedals? Maybe this thread is in the wrong spot.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshepherd View Post
Hey slutz, I am pretty surprised that there seems to be such a shortage of pedals offering this ability. I am looking to run my bass through the pedal, so the low frequencies go through a specific fx line, and the high another. I have seen good reviews for the Peavey BAC-2 (although not variable), but it doesn't seem to be made anymore. Same with the SFX X&M.

I see tons of crossover products, but most seem to be line level (like Rane AC-22S ), so they would not work plugging my bass into them. If the pedal has a cool effect that would be awesome, but I am also satisfied with just the crossover aspect. (the Boss CEB-3 looks like it may be able to do this, without being variable, but I would like something true-bypass if possible)
Thanks a ton in advance!
Line level would be fine as long as you had some other buffered pedal before it. Even a tuner. Lots of pedals operate at line level.

I don't know of a variable crossover in a stompbox, but would be easy to build if you were so inclined. You could ever get by with splitting the signal into two graphic EQ or parametric shelving pedals.

Lanois used a crossover on his guitar often when not touring with a bass player. Custom job his brother built.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Gear nut

You may check out the nitewalker bass preamp, not sure if you can bypass it.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
I make all sorts of custom stompboxes. I think this is a cool idea and would love to discuss it a little more. Hit me up via PM and we can talk about it!

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Cool idea. Could I recommend a splitter and mixer in the same pedal? Imagine one input (passive or active levels selectable) with a mono send output and a stereo return and stereo output. If this was set at unity gain, you could use 1/4" jacks where the pots normally go. I don't mind RCA jacks either - another option if space is tight.

The stereo sends and returns would revert to mono if only one plug inserted.

That would allow, for example, a fuzz box to be layered over the top of a dry bass. And you could insert a stereo flanger over the fuzz too if you wanted.

Probably a switch with preset crossover frequencies (and an off option for simply layering stuff with no filter).
eshepherd
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Gear nut

Thanks a bunch for the responses guys. Here is a link to what I am basically looking for, unfortunately that particular product is not being made right now. [sfx]:Crossover and Mix
eshepherd
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Line level would be fine as long as you had some other buffered pedal before it. Even a tuner. Lots of pedals operate at line level.

I don't know of a variable crossover in a stompbox, but would be easy to build if you were so inclined. You could ever get by with splitting the signal into two graphic EQ or parametric shelving pedals.

Lanois used a crossover on his guitar often when not touring with a bass player. Custom job his brother built.

I guess I am still pretty ignorant to how this works. I am assuming before I could plug my bass into something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2IFYT7JVWTGRN , I would need to go into a preamp to increase the signal to line level. Preferably I want to avoid using a preamp until after my signals have gone through the pedal chain. However if no other options are available, I may have to reconsider. Thanks a bunch again.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshepherd View Post
I guess I am still pretty ignorant to how this works. I am assuming before I could plug my bass into something like this Amazon.com: Rolls SX21 Crossover 2 Way, 1/4 Inch Unbalanced Input and Outputs, Low and High Output Controls: Musical Instruments , I would need to go into a preamp to increase the signal to line level. Preferably I want to avoid using a preamp until after my signals have gone through the pedal chain. However if no other options are available, I may have to reconsider. Thanks a bunch again.
It's more about impedance than level. Any buffer pedal will work. Pretty much anything that isn't true bypass will work, even a tuner. You can go into a proper preamp after the split.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search