Weird Guitar Effect Pedals?
baskervils
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Weird Guitar Effect Pedals?

Hi Folks!

I'm looking for weird guitar pedals to be ultra creative with. I am not looking for anything transparent. I want pedals that will take me to outer space, underwater or inside the brain.

Some of my current favorites are the Digitech Space Station, Memory Man, Alesis Ineko, Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar, Maestro Wah and surprisingly... the Behringer Time Machine.

Any ideas?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Take a look at Z-Vex stuff... outside of the array of fuzzes and distortions (some of THOSE which are even a bit odd) - there's some sonically crazy stuff happening.

Even the pedals which seem "normal" on the surface (like the Fuzz Factory) can do some bizarre stuff when the knobs are jacked all the way to one side...
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Pricey but any of the Eventide Pedals would be awesome. I think they like 6 knobs preconfigured to tweak into the next life.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Head

Electro harmonix bassballs, auto filtersweep device aka poor mans Sherman. Bought one at a yard sale without knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Don't know if he's still making them, but look for some Frostwave stuff.. any of it.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

EHX Tube Zipper
Pigtronix Philosopher King
Pigtronix Mothership
Mutronix Mutator
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear Head

This Is It

30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
Hi Folks!

I'm looking for weird guitar pedals to be ultra creative with. I am not looking for anything transparent. I want pedals that will take me to outer space, underwater or inside the brain.

Some of my current favorites are the Digitech Space Station, Memory Man, Alesis Ineko, Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar, Maestro Wah and surprisingly... the Behringer Time Machine.

Any ideas?
I've had my eyeballs on a WMD Geiger Counter (Civilian Issue)

WMD - Geiger Counter Civilian Issue

And/or a Dwarfcraft Hax

Hax | Dwarfcraft

I have a Zvex Lo Fi loop junky on my board and it's fun to play with.

ZVEX EFFECTS

Of course I'm really itchin' for a Midfi Electronics Pitch Pirate

Pitch Pirate | Ludlow Guitars

So many pedals..
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

JHS guy makes a synth mod DS-1 that has three side mount switches for insane weirdness, yeah WMD makes some really odd stuff.

Check out the JHS site that guy is really good.

Boss DS-1 Synth Drive
baskervils
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Man, my wish list has ballooned thanks to your responses. I really appreciate it.

I used the Behringer Time Machine again yesterday. I gotta say, for $75 it is the cheapest weird pedal I own. I'd love to see what people can do once they start modding that tin can.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear addict

Paul trombetta makes some crazy cool fuzzes
Home Page
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Death By Audio makes some cool weird effects.

Robotalk random filter is also cool.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

subdecay proteus
dod gonkulator
prescrition experience
early EH elctric misstress
boss ph-2
love pedal pickle vibe (not to far out but it inspires)
catalinbread semiphor trem
snarling dog whino wah
Roger Linn Adrenalinn
prescription COB
maestro ps-1 phasor (again .. not too far out but very inspiring sound)
dod grunge
wet reverb
line 6 dl4
catalinbread echo

hook them all together and turn a few on.. rearrange and do it again
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear interested

mellowtone wolf computer can get pretty out there.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Death by Audio - Robot
Electro Harmonix - Micro Synth and Ring Thing
Ebow
Line 6 DL-4, MM-4, and FM-4 (with the expression pedals, of course)

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately. However, rather than looking to a single effects pedal to come up with far out sounds, I tend to enjoy using a combination of effects to produce other worldly tones. For instance, play some chords through an EHX Big Muff into a Boss OC-2 Octave pedal into a Flanger. The Big Muff creates all kinds of harmonics which further confuses the Boss OC-2 which doesn't know how to react to chords anyway, so it'll jump all around looking for the note. And then the Flanger takes all that chaos, and puts some kind of order back into it with it's sweeping sonic signature.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
Hi Folks!

I want pedals that will take me to outer space, underwater or inside the brain.

Any ideas?
Moogerfooger Midi Murf or Clusterflux
Pigrtronix Mothership & Philosopher King
EH Hog
EH Tube Zipper

...if you get all that, you'll never escape the basement.
baskervils
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

So far, thanks to your recommendations, I have purchased the Pigtronix Philosopher King, Subdecay Proteus and Mellowtone Wolf Computer.

On my definitely try list... Death By Audio Octave Clang, Electro Harmonix POG2, Subdecay Prometheus DLX and the Roger Linn Adrenalinn.

Virtually everything else I want, too!
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Who can forget the oddities offered by Metasonix.... Everyone needs a Scrotum Smasher .
I'd really like a 'Wretch Machine', myself.
baskervils
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I'd really like a 'Wretch Machine', myself.
Wow, those pedals are megabucks! Have you gotten some mileage out of them?
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

zvexx makes great distortions, the danelectro reel echo is cool, pitch daddy, any of the digitech pds effects
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
EHX Tube Zipper
Pigtronix Philosopher King
Pigtronix Mothership
Mutronix Mutator

Pigtonix is awesome, the sounds that come out of the mothership are insane. Any of the moogerfooger stuff too.

seymore duncan twin tube great for tube sounds.

DigiTech Whammy!
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

WMD pedals are tremendously weird and not so much bucks. Gets my vote.
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Head

Dwarfcraft. Some of them are more modular synth than guitar pedal but they also make some killer fuzz.
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

Truly Weird Stuff, eh?

My strongest recommendation for a strange delay that is moderately affordable is: Waitstates by Sound Substance.

My friend Dale builds them in Richardson. It is an ADA delay, that is a digital chip-delay that has digital to analog converters w/ up to 770 ms of delay w/o an expression pedal (with the expression pedal it's up to around 1000) In addition, the pedal has a triangle wave LFO clock which you can use to modulate the speed or the repeats. It self oscillates in at least two different ways. It can simultaneously, self-oscillate and repeat

Good luck finding one, if you do they go for $250-300, but its far cooler than a lot of competitors and way more transparent.

Listen to my signature line track, Chickory Chestnutt Cathedral for an example of many of the things it can do.

Also on this track, I used the Moogerfooger Phaser MF-103. It like many of the Moog pedals can get extremely weird. It can be pushed into ring modulation by adjusting the rate of sweep to the highest settings. It can phase imperceptibly slowly. It also can pretty closely emulate the Mu-tron Bi-phase (and far beyond), because you may plug any type of waveform into the Sweep-in jack which allows you to have two separate simultaneous LFO's: one controlling the first 6 stages of the phaser, and the second controlling the last 6. There can be so much movement in your signal, that it would even make Mellon Collie discombobulated.

Don't even get me started on the Moog Ring Modulator and the Cluster Flux.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Boss DS-1

just kidding

weird can be cool but seems to have limited musical application

I have always liked ring mod effects but everytime I get one I cannot seem to get anything usable out of it. Wanted to try that Lovepedal Believe as it seems to be very usable but cool off tones.
baskervils
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Boss DS-1
weird can be cool but seems to have limited musical application
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear interested

You cannot tell me that . . .

Manzanera used a Boss DS-1 on that track . . . I couldn't imagine it, but who knows.

Congrats Baskervils on your excellent taste.

If you want weird and adjustable you need to go the Moog route. Mr. Eno himself is a lifelong Moog user (mostly the keyboards and synths).

If it weren't for Eno, I don't think that guitarists would be half as pedal obsessed as they are now. Think of his work designing the Frippertronics unit, of his work designing the Edge's sounds, manipulating Belew's synthesized guitar on "Remain in Light," etc. He's pushed innovation in guitar sound.

In addition to the Moogerfoogers, you'll also like the Sound Substance WaitStates (which I mentioned before), the Fuzzmulator, and the BlueZdrive (which can almost made a guitar sound like a distorted cello with the right tweaking)

Sound Substance boutique pedals overdrive fuzz and distortion delay clean boost

You can also hear the wildness of the delay when used with an expression pedal on the track "Ascension Transmission" on my old band's myspace page.

Monoliths of Phobos | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
baskervils
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think that particular pedal was used (although distortion and filters are definitely wiggling around), but weird definitely has it's place in pop. What is interesting about Eno is what is treated in his songs and what isn't. Some elements are left fairly bare while others are put through the ringer (literally).
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
If you want weird and adjustable you need to go the Moog route.
Exactly. Spend a fortune. You can buy everything under the sun.

Nobody does it like Moog, or even close.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search