Identify this amplifier please
ctms777
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear addict

Identify this amplifier please

Does anybody recognize this guitar amplifier? I'm wondering if it's worth it to repair it?
The brand name is "True sound". It was given to me by a friend of mine who had it in her basement for about 20 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Identify this amplifier please-img_0493.jpg   Identify this amplifier please-img_0494.jpg   Identify this amplifier please-img_0495.jpg   Identify this amplifier please-img_0496.jpg  
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

It's an old valve combo it could definitely be worth fixing up if you were willing to put in new tubes and a speaker if it's blown. would cost around $250 to do that if you put a celestion blue or greenback in there and a new set of identical tubes.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear maniac

Sweet amp, absolutely get that gem fluffed and let her sing....looks like EL84 power tubes w/a single filter cap can. The cap can may be out if it pops and hisses sporatically. Worth messing with and restoring....

Ditto the other poster's comment.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Speakers are probably fine -- swap out the tubes and power caps and you should be good to go. Bet it sounds great.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear
I'm going to suggest a more nuanced approach here. There's a reason that Fender and Vox stayed around forever and Alamo and Danelectro didn't. Many of the off brand amp builders built amps that were OK, or good enough for beginners, small bands, local folks... but not truly in the big leagues. So that amp may not be the sonic equivalent of the best tube amp you've ever played. That said, it's got a decent sized power transformer, so should have stable input voltage so some clean overhead (the really cheap amps with no clean sound tend to have tiny transformers). The tubes will tell you a lot about what to expect. If that's all of them, I suspect a 50C5 rectifier, which will only power about 8 watts of clean output. The output tubes may be EL84/6BQ7, but I'd guess slightly lower powered tubes like 6AQ7s or even 6BM8s that include a triode and power pentode in a single tube (like the Watkins Westminster), with the 12AX7 serving as preamp for the two channels (not sure what the "echo input" channel is for). The speaker is likely tired, but could be reconed, or replaced with an old organ speaker for a vintage sound at not much money (even old jensens from organs come in at less than $100).

My guess is you'll fix it up and have a cool amp for "color" parts, ratty distortion like Jack White, thick cleans like the Stones, not the only amp you'll ever use but a pretty cool thing...
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Hi, I would certainly suggest repairing it (or selling it to someone who will!).

Show it to an experienced tech and get some advice on how much work it needs. It may just need replacing a few caps which would be very cheap and would just give you a valve amp for little money.

My first valve amp was a similar case (actually the build quality looked far worse than yours), and I still use it a lot. As the previous poster said it may not necessarily sound like a Marshall, but it's likely to have its own idiosyncratic personality, which is cool!

Get the tech to check whether it's properly earthed and safe to use, though.
ctms777
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear addict

First of thanks for all the comments! You guys convinced me to get it repaired. An old amp like this does have it's charm, even if it's a one trick pony. I own a few other old tube-amps from the sixties, none of which are collectable, but they all have something special.

Thanks, I'll let you know in a few weeks how it sounds...

Ps. The tubes are 2 EL84's, 2 ECC83's (there's one hidden in the top part of the amp), I can't read whats written on the rectifier tube.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search