When do you use Send/Return ?
New Reply
Subscribe
andy3
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

When do you use Send/Return ?

When do you use send/return in your amp to achieve a sound?
*Can you give me few examples please?
*Do you use send/return to recording also?
*Do you use special rack units when recording with send/return?Or Just Go with standard stompboxes?
Thanks!
Ngr
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Ngr
Gear maniac

never
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Would-Be-Teaboy

Pretty much only if you want reverb or delay before your amp distortion.

I'm more of a pedal man so, no, never!
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Taking Down your Network

Never; I prefer to use those options when running live sound at the console, and then almost always for vocals; maybe a comp on the bass or drums sometimes. I've never been a fan of heavy rack gear paired with an amp either; boat-anchors, most of 'em. I prefer to get an amp that can produce a real tone on its own. External processors? Meh. I'd rather have one really good tone than a truckload of crappy processed sounds.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to litepipe
I've never liked the sound of going through send and return. I always use pedals right infront of the amp.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear interested

A looper! I love being able to quickly throw down a clean rhythm track and kick up the gain and work on soloing over it. If you have your looper in front, that would dirty up your rhythm track.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Delays sound better in the loop, in my experience. The standard is putting time-based effects there, especially if you use your amps distortion.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear interested

Generally speaking, the fx send is a preamp output and fx return a power amp input, which means that you can use them if you want to use the power amp of a certain head with a different preamp in front, etc.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Buy a Digitech RP500 or 1000.
It allows both.
I always use the RP in live situations. I can use the pre amp in my Fender amp and also use the Digitech's stomp box loop which allows you to also have your pedals as well either pre or post.
Almost like a Bradshaw switch. But there is nothing wrong with putting pedals in directly though. Best thing to do is experiment.....
Here is a great demo:
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Everyone thinks I'm overboard but I like to hear my delay, reverb, and modulation effects (chorus, tremelo) all through my fx loop. I think they sound cleaner. Everything else goes in front of the preamp. Just my ear's preference.

24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimBrent View Post
Delays sound better in the loop, in my experience. The standard is putting time-based effects there, especially if you use your amps distortion.
This is exactly what I do.

To me, delays, reverbs, and modulation sound cleaner and have more depth when inserted into the loop. You can still put them in front of the amp for a grittier tone.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear nut

It's just basic effects-stacking. If you like your dirt before your modulation, and you're using your amp set dirty, you'll need to have the modulation in a loop to get the sound you like.

I talked gear with a guy once. He said he hated the sound of his delay before his dirt, and that he wasn't to happy about his sound at the moment. For some reason he hadn't really thought it thru. Guitar -> boost -> delay -> distorted amp... I tried to tell him, and he concluded that he couldn't be bothered putting the delay in a loop. It's two bloody cables. 20 bucks. It's not expensive, and it's not a hassle. Color-code the cables and get one of those wraparound-things, and takes half a minute more to set up.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimBrent View Post
It's just basic effects-stacking. If you like your dirt before your modulation, and you're using your amp set dirty, you'll need to have the modulation in a loop to get the sound you like.

I talked gear with a guy once. He said he hated the sound of his delay before his dirt, and that he wasn't to happy about his sound at the moment. For some reason he hadn't really thought it thru. Guitar -> boost -> delay -> distorted amp... I tried to tell him, and he concluded that he couldn't be bothered putting the delay in a loop. It's two bloody cables. 20 bucks. It's not expensive, and it's not a hassle. Color-code the cables and get one of those wraparound-things, and takes half a minute more to set up.
Good advice. You should just give it a shot.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Only reverb. I prefer everything else before amp. I specially dislike delay in the loop.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search