New Reply
Subscribe
Pimpifax
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear interested

Bass: Jolana Kolorbas 8-way switch??

Hello.

A little time ago i owend this czech made, nice 60s/70s sounding Jolana Kolorbas (but with a more pleasent look ). I really love this nice sounding instrument. But the Problem is i´m not able to figure out what the 8-way switch between the volumeknobs does (see picture below)! It is not only to simple switch between the pickups. Someone told me it is also something like parallel/seriell, phase -switch, etc... Does someone know this bass and can tell me what the hell this switch is exactly doing??

29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

It's exactly what your friend said.

Various wiring combinations of the pickups.

This was a fad in the 70s.
Most players ended up using one sound and leave it there.
There is no penalty for this.

If you like the thin, hollow, permanently comb filtered sounds then this is result of the two pickups out of phase wiring.

I can only explain 4 obvious sounds in a forum.
1 Both pickups in phase
2 Back pickup only
3 Front pickup only
4 Both pickups out of phase.
I'll bet they're in the first 4 switch slots. After that it's fantasy island.

The pickups look single coli, not humbucking, unless they're stacked or split.

Otherwise I want the bass in hand an a tiny screwdriver to tell you what else it's wired to do.

Can you see inside the cavity with a dentist's mirror and count the number of wires coming out of each pickup? The number of different thin coloured strands at the switch is prob the best place to see. If there's 4 per pickup then we have probably got split pickups.

Do the tone and volume pots work exactly the same in every switch position? I'm thinking they may have also different value caps for selecting a lower shelf rolloff, maybe...?? I dunno.

Can't you find a guitar tech where you live?

BTW it was also not uncommon for owners to disable all the fantasy wiring and make it do the basic sounds but leave all the hardware intact.
Pimpifax
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for your help but i talked to some experienced bassplayers and they told me some possibilities how it makes sense to change the electonic. How to make it more really usable. In most cases like to keep things simple and even usable. So after i thougt in-depth about the way to change it i made the decision that i will completely change the electronic as they told me to to it:
- 1 volume knob (for both pus)
- 1 treble knob (for both pus)
- and the 8-way switch leaves for an 3-way switch (front/back/both pus)

If someone is interessted i can upload the pictures i made of the original electronic.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search