fender vibro king
New Reply
Subscribe
boomer81
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Gear addict

fender vibro king

so i have a chance to get a newer fender vibro king 3x10 blackface custom shop amp. for $1500 shipped. this thing looks mint from the photos the guy sent me. and it has the unit style reverb built in. these things are going for $3500 at sweetwater and other places new. i know i should be able to get my money back if it don't work out.

i know they are huge 70lb but it won't be gigged much if at all so moving it's not a problem. this is a reach for me money wise. so what do you guys think of this amp. i just want something that is great clean. im sure i will have to use pedals to make this break up. i just want a killer verb and vibrato/tremolo. for roots stuff. country,blues,rockabilly.

i was originally looking for something smaller, a 90's brown face 63 reissue vibroverb 2x10(not the srv clone they are out of my price range) or a silver face deluxe. this just fell in my lap through a friend. thanks
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Gear Head

The VibroKing is a great sounding amp but you might want to consider an older Twin Reverb. I found a 73 Twin on Craigslist for $600, in mint condition. It sounds amazing and the tremelo is great too. Even if you have to put a little work into it (replace tubes, filter caps etc) it will still be considerably cheaper then the Vibro King.
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

You'd be surprised what it will do without pedals,Turn the Tone controls off, Fat boost on, volume up full or close to full, then bring up the tone controls up slowly to dial in the tone you want . Great blues/ roots rock amp, does Traditional Jazz tones well also , Swampy Vibrato, Handles Single coils or Humbuckers equally well, really lets the tone of what ever you plug into it shine through, Pete Townsend used them to get his signature sound more recently on tour. Can't say enough about it I think it's the finest amp I've ever owned, Well worth the $1500. And it does take pedals well, is simply amazing with my Zen Drive or KOT, Picked up mine used at a local music store (Beacock Music, here in Vancouver, Wa) For $2700 with the 2 twelve extension cab. The only negitive I've heard about this amp is that it blows through Reverb driver tubes (6V6) in the earlier models, which mine is (a blond one) And it's never given me any trouble, but I think fender Changed it out to a EL84 in recent production anyway. Did I mention the Reverb, Incredible, Anything from dark,mellow,subtle to driping wet surfs up. Sweet amp, buy it you won't be disappointing, It put a smile on my face the first Time I plugged in at the store and still does every time I use her.

"What comes from the heart lands on the heart"
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Guru

For that budget, I'd just get a real Super Reverb or a Vibrolux Reverb.

Put music in your heart
and heart in your music
boomer81
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
For that budget, I'd just get a real Super Reverb or a Vibrolux Reverb.
i had a 65 super and it was a pain i had the thing rebuilt etc and still had issues. also i found a 65 twin reissue with a 15" inch speaker for $800 shipped. so i don't know. the vibro king would be killer
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Guru

At least the Vibro-King is a real hand wired Fender amp, so in that
alone it's better than the other pcb RI's

I would just take it to my tech for a solid preemptive going over
to catch any build execution issues.

I still for the life of me can't figure out why Fender never
offered the Super, Twin and the new Vibro-King in a head version for greater
flexibility, weight management and ease of service.
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
boomer81
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Gear addict

well i bought the vibro king. i just don't think i could go wrong. if i dont like it. i think i should make a good profit. it has three jensen alnicos should be the best amp ive ever had. it's the black face version. so thanks to all.
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Congratulations.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search