Forgive my morbid noobidity: how do you use a Line 6 HD Pod?
Old 8th April 2011
Gear maniac

Forgive my morbid noobidity: how do you use a Line 6 HD Pod?

...refers to HD300, HD400, HD500...etc...

I've guessed you're meant to plug a guitar into the Pod, but where do you plug the Pod into?

A guitar amp? Straight into a speaker cabinet (passive speakers)? Straight into a a pair of active monitors (powered speakers)?

When playing live can you just bring the unit along and plug it into the PA?

And can you link the Pod to an audio interface and use it to record straight into the computer? If so, how and with which connections? USB?
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

It won't power a speaker. On stage you'll want to plug it into a guitar amp. Preferably a loud and clean one. In the studio you could plug it in direct. I'd still use and amp and a mic. Running it direct in a live setting will work but still may not be the best route. If you're on in ears and have a good sound guy it might be passable. If you're working with whoever the club hired you're probably asking for trouble. Just think of this thing as what it is. A big old guitar pedal.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear maniac

The POD HD500 works killer with the new Line 6 DT50 amp. You can change the characteristics from class A to A/B as well as Pentode/Triode modes. I've already helped set up units using this config with Natural on Usher's current world tour, Carlos Rios for Stevie Nicks current tour, and Wendy of "Wendy & Lisa" and Brad Whitford fo Aerosmith for studio use. They all were completely blown away with the functions and tones I was able to demo/setup for them.

Other folks are using FRFR type systems like what Atomic makes or just into full range small PA monitors fro themselves on stage and seem extremely happy as I've heard.
Old 9th April 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstituteOfNoise View Post
The POD HD500 works killer with the new Line 6 DT50 amp. You can change the characteristics from class A to A/B as well as Pentode/Triode modes. I've already helped set up units using this config with Natural on Usher's current world tour, Carlos Rios for Stevie Nicks current tour, and Wendy of "Wendy & Lisa" and Brad Whitford fo Aerosmith for studio use. They all were completely blown away with the functions and tones I was able to demo/setup for them.

Other folks are using FRFR type systems like what Atomic makes or just into full range small PA monitors fro themselves on stage and seem extremely happy as I've heard.
What's an FRFR type system?
Old 9th April 2011
Gear maniac

Also, if Line 6 decided to update the software of the Pod HD series to include more amps, for example, would the update likely only reach the flagship ie. HD500 or would the updates also reach the HD300 and HD400?
Old 9th April 2011
Based on what's been happening so far with the HD series since I've owned one firmware updates normally go first to the HD500 then a few weeks later to the 400/300.

FRFR=Full Range Flat Response (or sometimes Full Range Frequency Response). More or less it's any standard monitor, lots of folk just use nearfields for this.
Old 9th April 2011
Super Moderator

Read the manual, it explains it pretty well how to use it in different setups.
For plugging into an amp you bypass the amp modelling (on the pod) and if you are going into pa you let it rip direct.
As far as i remember.
All the best

Graham
Old 9th April 2011
Gear maniac

I played a show in a little indie club through a friend's POD into one of those tiny crate amps that's just four knobs wrapped in a heat sink, into a 1x12 cabinet. Worked well. No regrets.

I've heard of bands plugging pods straight into the PA, along with electric drums, but I've also heard that the sound wasn't that great.

This was at a venue with a nice mixer and good sound people, so I'm guessing the problem is that their speakers are spread out enough that usually fans are used to hearing the sound coming from amps and drums on the stage. It might also be that the speakers in even a room with a good PA are usually loud enough to fill the room with a vocalist or two, and slightly reinforce a band, but that when the house system has to carry a full rock band at live volume, through speakers that move enough air for a good rock vocalist...

well... even some good houses wind up a few speakers and a few hundred watts short. Safest to BYOA, unless the club specifically tells you otherwise.
Old 9th April 2011
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Resnick View Post
.....I've heard of bands plugging pods straight into the PA, along with electric drums, but I've also heard that the sound wasn't that great.
Can happen with some PA systems, depends on their overall sound quality, but the tone does change depending on which mode you have set the pod in. (amp sim on/off)
If you are going direct into a good PA, you should find it not too hard to get a more than acceptable tone with the amp sim on.

Graham
Old 14th April 2011
Gear maniac

Glad someone already answered the FRFR question.

At Musikmesse last week there was another announcement that another update is coming very soon that will add more amps and features for the HD300/400/500. Obviously because of the design the 500 will get more features added as it's already built as such. Some really killer stuff coming! The v1.22 that came out last month was just for the HD500.
Old 14th April 2011
Yes, I'm very excited about the new 1.3 update too. More in depth amp controls (bias, bias excursion, hum, master and sag) and the other channels from several of the amps. Can't wait.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search