Login / Register

Anyone get as pissed off at Fulltone as I did?
New Reply
Subscribe
darkhorse
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

I am fed up trying to explain to the "technical support" at Fulltone, my Fat Boost 3 has a hum which gets worse when you increase the voltage. They insult you with some teenage wisdom of putting in fresh battery and using good cables (and not those bad quality solderless ones). OK, I get most guitar players are idiots and do stupid things to their effects, but sorry I am not one of them.

The hum at 9v is barely noticable but go to 16v and it is terrible. They did not reply the 2nd time I send a request or repair. It's always like it must be your power supply or cables, always!!!! Screw it, I am done with Fulltone, this is not the first time their tech support was useless and how demeaning they are. The Fat Boost is in the trade off pile.

I also took my v4 OCD out of the line. I am tired of trying to get something good out of it. Even as a clean boost, I just do not like it. I tried so hard to use and like this box.
I had the v3 and I liked the deeper bass and tone it had at lower gain settings. Just do not like the v4. And seriously why call something a "tone control" when it is just a treble rolloff? No more 3 knob ODs for me. I am going Barber or Wampler, possibly Lovepedal, no matter what it is, it better have some trim pots or more tone knobs. I also like my Ibanez real tube tube King (high current) boxes. But Fulltone, that is it for me, no more. Ubervibe or VersaVibe over the DejaVibe.
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Oh wee.....it's not the first time that this comes up. I remember Michael Brauer (yes THAT Michael Brauer) posting something about getting insulted and ridiculed by Michael Fuller when asking something about his Tube Echo. UNBELIEVABLE!

Well, the only time I contacted Fulltone (about the Soul Bender pedal which I didn't like very much) I got a straight and helpful answer so personally I have no bad experience with them.

Though I must say that I was less than impressed with their gear. Soul Bender, FullDrive 2 and now an OCD V1 are all well-built pedals but I never liked the midrange-centred sound that seems to be a Fulltone trademark. So the OCD will end up on e-bay like my other Fulltone pedals did.

The biggest letdown were the Fulltone cables, they actually ended up in the trash here. Horrible sound and shoddy construction.

Anyway, I'm amazed that Fulltone still has such a good reputation even though lotsa folks apparently were treated like shit.

http://www.doorknocker.ch/
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
darkhorse
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I lost respect for them when they stole a design from an online forum (Jack Orman's Mini Booster) and put it out as the Fat Boost.

Here's Jack's article and schematic..
Guitar Effects - AMZ Mini-Booster

..and here's an archive of the site that originally outed the Fulltone
http://web.archive.org/web/200505010...e.to/fatboost/

..apparently, Fulltone has since admitted it.
I will have to look into this one.
I liked the Fat Boost somehwhat but I do agree it is rather muddy and there are crap load of other boosters out there which are far better and lot of them are cheaper. Nothing touches that cool Xiotic EP Booster, really freat pedal for like $100.

The hum was too much on the Fat Boost, try increasing the voltage like they brag, and it sounded like a single coil under a florescent lamp in the 60s. Every time you have a problem, "its pull it off your board, put in a new battery and plug it into the amp on a clean channel with good cables, and see if the hum is gone". I love how it's always got to be my power supply or my cables. If it hums bad above 16v how is a battery going to solve the issue? I have not used batteries in years, I do not plan on starting now. They actually said George L cables were not good for the "test". I almost told them I used Fulltone cables as a rip, but they are not worth the price. Nice to hear someone actually trashed them. When you get upset w their attitude they just stop responding, once I told them I was not a moronic teenager daisy chaining his effects but a former Engineer they will not talk to me anymore. Fuller is well known to be complete ass and unless you are kissing his ass he does not give you the time of day.

I noticed Satriani has recently dropped off his older model DejaVibe for the Roger Mayer unit. I love Vibes but I am going for the UberVibe this time around.

Robin Trower remains the only hard user of Fulltone I know of. It was Fuller who started having everyone run the Vibe into a gain. Sounds resonably OK w an OD not too gainy but for me ruins the cool sweep and bandwidth. Trower's sound is simply not as good as it was on the past recordings. I think he has gotten a little long in the tooth to be objective anymore. And he still uses batteries!

I do not get why so many are crazy about the OCD. as much as Fuller hypes the unit, take a look at his personal board, no OCD! I sort of liked the v3 OCD which had deeper bass and less high end on low gains. It was really muddy but had a great dark Trower type tone that was a one trick pony really. The v4 ruined the pedal for me. The single treble roll off "tone" control got the better of me. From now on it's BARBER for me for any ODs. Maybe Wampler. The Klon maker has a new prototype coming out of a new Klon unit, hopefully will be more resonable on price. I heard it and it is pretty nice sounding.
15th February 2011
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I will have to look into this one.
I liked the Fat Boost somehwhat but I do agree it is rather muddy and there are crap load of other boosters out there which are far better and lot of them are cheaper. Nothing touches that cool Xiotic EP Booster, really freat pedal for like $100.
There's a touch of irony here as the XOtic EP booster supposedly is also a design that was 'stolen' from a smaller company. Here's a link if you're interested, personally I'm not taking sides here: ClinchFX » EP-PRE

But it's pretty ironic that all these 'I was first' claims are about a pedal that COPIES another box, in this case the preamp stage of the Echoplex. BTW, I have an EP booster and like it very much. Though it certainly isn't the 'magic bullet' it's made out to be.

Quote:
Robin Trower remains the only hard user of Fulltone I know of.
That's hardly accurate. Sonny Landreth still uses Fulltone gear and so does Buddy Miller (Robert Plant/Band of Joy). I was totally knocked out by Buddy's sound and sometimes radical use of the Fulltone Tube Echo when I saw him live in concert with Plant.

Quote:
I do not get why so many are crazy about the OCD. as much as Fuller hypes the unit, take a look at his personal board, no OCD! I sort of liked the v3 OCD which had deeper bass and less high end on low gains. It was really muddy but had a great dark Trower type tone that was a one trick pony really. The v4 ruined the pedal for me. The single treble roll off "tone" control got the better of me.
Please don't get too worked up here. Like you I found the OCD (I have V1) not to be what I needed after all but it still is an excellent pedal. I found that using it on 12V or 18V actually gave me TOO much headroom. I couldn't say that about any other pedal I ever tried. It's VERY well made and I wish that other so called boutique manufacters were using the same build quality.

To sum it up, it seems that many folks had unpleseant experiences with Mike Fuller and that's too bad because the pedals are good. Even if I don't use his products anymore I can readily admit that. (My verdict about the cables remains though)
darkhorse
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

There's a touch of irony here as the XOtic EP booster supposedly is also a design that was 'stolen' from a smaller company. Here's a link if you're interested, personally I'm not taking sides here: ClinchFX » EP-PRE

As far as I know the EP booster is the preamping section from the old Echo Plex (EP). I've heard it and one guy I watched had 2 of them set differently. One before and one after his gainy OD, sounded amazing alone or to change the OD after or drive ir more in front, he did not use both at once, brought some real life to the signal. Not sure it is much of a buffer but it seemed to really be a great clean boost or more like a slight tone enhancement and it has internal dips for EQ options. For $100, please, I will go for it based on what I have heard. Spent a lot more and gotten a lot less.

But it's pretty ironic that all these 'I was first' claims are about a pedal that COPIES another box, in this case the preamp stage of the Echoplex. BTW, I have an EP booster and like it very much. Though it certainly isn't the 'magic bullet' it's made out to be.

That's hardly accurate. Sonny Landreth still uses Fulltone gear and so does Buddy Miller (Robert Plant/Band of Joy). I was totally knocked out by Buddy's sound and sometimes radical use of the Fulltone Tube Echo when I saw him live in concert with Plant.

Key issue was "that I know of", I've heard of Landreth by name but not music and not Robert's new band which I caught a little of on cable the other day. Was not my cup of tea, I liked the Strange Sensation band better. Robert's crossing over too much for me these days. I am old school Jimmy myself, now there's an EP guy.

Please don't get too worked up here. Like you I found the OCD (I have V1) not to be what I needed after all but it still is an excellent pedal. I found that using it on 12V or 18V actually gave me TOO much headroom. I couldn't say that about any other pedal I ever tried. It's VERY well made and I wish that other so called boutique manufacters were using the same build quality.

It's one of theose pedals I have struggled to use and get to sound right for me in my rig. I had the v3 some time back and traded it off, I missed its dark tone for Trower type tones, so I got another one, I did not know he changed it. I just do not like the v4 and I have tried to use it in so many ways from 9 to 16v clean and dirty. I will be trading it off or just replacing it. To be honest I have had several other ODs I wish I would have stayed with instead of getting another OCD. The issue that Fuller does not use one himself was quite interesting for me. I was going to go for the RTO model but from what I have heard it is not that dark deeper tone I really expected and again has that same blasted treble roll off "tone" control. I will try your advice and drop back to 9v again, I prefer to use it less gainy but I will run it through the paces again just to be sure it is just not going to work for me.

I am on a Barber kick these days.

As far as I am concerned the real genius of the boutique pedals is Dave Barber, Sean of Lovepedal, and Wampler. Sure there are others, Hermida, I am sure some I have never heard of, but I have just lost it w Fuller. The humming Fat Boost did me in.

As far as copying circuits I mean there are only so many options of circuits which do certain things. Look at how many have used the TS OD as a basis. A great many ODs are so alike there is honestly very little difference.

To sum it up, it seems that many folks had unpleseant experiences with Mike Fuller and that's too bad because the pedals are good. Even if I don't use his products anymore I can readily admit that. (My verdict about the cables remains though)

I cannot argue with his components and build but what's w the hum in my Fat Boost? A couple of years ago I had this bad switch popping issue on my FullDrive, once again it had to be my power supply, "remove it, put in a fresh battery, plug it into the amp by itself and see if it pops". I have no use to run a single pedal w a battery, and the excuse if that is OK by that test, then it cannot be the pedal is just horseshit.

I became aware a couple of years ago that "true by-pass" can build a charge on the switch which can pop. Sean of Lovepedal hipped me to that and recommends if you have this problem merely cycle the pedal before you bring your amp on-line to disipate the charge. Fulltone did not want to admit true by-pass often does this.

So I can barely hear the Fat Boost hum at 9v but I do not use batteries and have no intention of regressing back to them, if it is humming using a power supply something is not cool. I use a good isolated filtered feeds and my master power comes out of a Furman power conditioner. He keeps recommending Voodoo Lab bricks but I had 2 of them right of the box that had dead ports (different ones on each box). I ended up going w the BBE SupraCharger and that has been working for me great on numerous pedals. Probably is a good pedal, many use it, I just happened to get two bad ones, after the return hassle on them I just switched to the BBE.

As for Fulltone. if anyone wants to spend $1400 on a tape echo, more power to you. I am sure that is a cool unit but $1400 bucks, not me.

I have had it w the single tone control ODs that are nothing more than a treble roll off filter.
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Disclaimer: Since it seems that only you and me are on this thread we might as well continue the gear talk, ....

Quote:
[I]As far as I know the EP booster is the preamping section from the old Echo Plex (EP). I've heard it and one guy I watched had 2 of them set differently. One before and one after his gainy OD, sounded amazing alone or to change the OD after or drive ir more in front, he did not use both at once, brought some real life to the signal. Not sure it is much of a buffer but it seemed to really be a great clean boost or more like a slight tone enhancement and it has internal dips for EQ options. For $100, please, I will go for it based on what I have heard. Spent a lot more and gotten a lot less.
First, be happy to live in the US as the EP booster sells for about $200 here.

I have one and these are my experiences: The EP Booster really sound good in the sense that it adds a certain sheen, power and dimension to the sound without making it harsh and thin like so many other boosters/buffers so.

But after a lot of experimentation and going back between the EP and the Z.Vex Super Hard-On and my first pedal/buffer on the pedalboard I finally found that I don't need either. In anything the SHO is more dynamic and doesn't 'smooth out' the sound as much. When using a compressor after the EP Booster I found that the compression simply got intense even when setting both the compressor and EP very low. Some folks use the EP at the end of the pedal chain where it will act as a pretty intense booster but I didn't like that at all as my whole thing is really about gain-staging.

But I especially don't like what 'buffers' do to distortion/fuzz pedals, the SHO sound great for cleaner sounds but makes distortion pedals a tad thin. Not much but it made me question why I use it in the first place.

The EP is more of what I call an 'L.A' sound, great if that's your thing but to my ears, everything just becomes a tad too 'shiny' and mundane. I'm talking borderline-audiophile stuff here, these things are all very subtle but I guess you're much the same as me in that regard.

Quote:
[I]It's one of theose pedals I have struggled to use and get to sound right for me in my rig. I had the v3 some time back and traded it off, I missed its dark tone for Trower type tones, so I got another one, I did not know he changed it. I just do not like the v4 and I have tried to use it in so many ways from 9 to 16v clean and dirty. I will be trading it off or just replacing it. To be honest I have had several other ODs I wish I would have stayed with instead of getting another OCD. The issue that Fuller does not use one himself was quite interesting for me.
A friend turned me on to the OCD and he owns two version. I managed to score V1 on e-bay then we compared my V1 to his V3 (I believe it was, maybe it was V4).

First off, is this thing with constant 'upgrades' some marketing scheme? I don't really get it. The two OCD incarnations we compared were VERY different sounding. Mine had TONS more gain and with the switch in the 'Up' position it is hard not to be too loud even with low levels and a Tele or Strat.

My friends OCD was more the typical compressed OD pedal sound but both pedals had that midrange thing that I just don't like about Fulltone in general.

It made me come back to my AnalogMan Boss DS-1 which is just GREAT. Unhyped, responsive and transparent.

Quote:
[I]As for Fulltone. if anyone wants to spend $1400 on a tape echo, more power to you. I am sure that is a cool unit but $1400 bucks, not me.
This reminds me that a guy from a musicstore promised me one of his vintage Telefunken tube-loaded Echolette Echos that he got from some bancrupt source a few years ago. I never got the unit in the end which is a shame because when we tested it through some nondescript CBS Fender amp, it sounded like God. Absolutely amazing.

Well, I have a Boss DC-20 Echo here that I plan to hook up again very soon. It's not a tube unit and definitely different from the Echoplex/Binson/Fulltone boxes but it has serious mojo too.
darkhorse
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, not much traffic on these boards.
Thanks for the info. I am always looking to move to better pedals. I like to hear from experienced players who know tone.

It's funny but in all my years the tape echo is one unit I have never had, I have known players who had them. Yeah, killer tones. The tape is short lived as one would expect. Do that Jimmy head whip and bye bye tape, stretch, flutter, warble, jam. That is sort of the mimic all the units try to obtain. I ran across a cool unit a few months ago, the name escapes me at the moment but really the best mimic I have heard and a cool design. The knob controls looked like the EP panel.

Thanks for the heads up on the EP boost, yeah only $100 here, which makes it very interesting. I do not expect miracles for that much and from what I heard it sounded really great. I am more into transparent clean booster drives and that puppy seems like it would be good for me. Seems like about 10:00 on it is not too obstrusive. I also heard Eric Johnson was messing w one. The guy I listened to had one before one of the Xiotic Boosters and one after. Did some coolness to his tone which I liked. Playing it though is the test, plus all rigs and guitars are different. It is sort of the search for what works with your personal rig.

I suffer the same issue with delays like I do drives and gain boxes, forever searching for one that suits me. Right now I have no delay unit. I could use one but the budget pretty much dried up. I would like to have one again, presently I am enjoying my reverb unit as a kick on during solo work for a nice trail and throw without losing my tone. I am quite fond of the HardWire RV-7 with its Lexicon models. I picked one up on sale for $49, really one of those once in a lifetime deals. I come and go with echo-delay units. I had a Boss GigaDelay and I liked the preset feature but I just got tired of fooling w it. Probably should have kept it. I liked the TimeMachine delay alsp which I should have kept as well. I'll bet I would love a tape echo but $1400 is crazy for me, my wife would not handle that one.

I got sick of little Boss pedals except for any mods by Keeley or AnalogMan which really fixes up those boxes.

Do you have any experience using a power atenuator? I've been considered a THD hot plate (16ohm model) as it is within my range of expense. Seems like a great unit to get the tubes up without blowing my ears or speakers.

Yeah, pisser you cannot get a lot of pedals overseas. I have long wanted to live in France as this country continues to spiral down the rabbit hole of nutdom. Anytime I can relay anything to you, be glad to do that from one one long time player to another. If I moved I would arrange to do that using my daughter for my own gear. Could save a ton of bucks and make a lot more available. Anyway, I would be glad to help you out with something if you ever needed it. I am a very trustworthy guy. I am married to a European and really not the typical american stereotype.
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suffer the same issue with delays like I do drives and gain boxes, forever searching for one that suits me. Right now I have no delay unit. I could use one but the budget pretty much dried up. I would like to have one again, presently I am enjoying my reverb unit as a kick on during solo work for a nice trail and throw without losing my tone.
I can hear you! I went through quite a lot of delays in the last few years (Line 6 DL4 w/Keeley Mod, /EH Memory Man/T.Rex Replica/ Boomerang Chorus-Delay/Way Huge Aqua Puss/Empress SuperDelay) and all of them ended up on e-bay. Some of them were very good sounding but not convenient especially as I want to 'ride' my delays so that the dry/wet mic is right for any song/part. Some of them messed with the sound too much in bypass and some of them just weren't to my sonic taste.

Funnily enough, I have a EH Deluxe Memory Boy on my pedalboard now and like it very much. It doesn't alter the dry sound, has a 'Gain' function and the sonics are VERY organic. It's not really the right pedal for rhythmic delays but it is great as a general delay and I set up an Expression pedal to control the amount of 'Feedback' which is great. The Memory Boy is also the most affordable delay of all the ones I recently used, go figure.

But EH comes out with a new Deluxe Memory Man in March that will have an expression pedal funcion for the Dry/Wet mix as well (this is missing on the Memory Boy). Also, the 'Man' uses different chips that are brighter sounding as the very dark and 'vintage' ones used on the 'Boy'. I'm pretty sure that this will be THE delay for me but I probably keep the 'Boy' as well because it is great for use as a 'general' delay where you want just a tiny 'halo' around the sound.

Quote:
Do you have any experience using a power atenuator? I've been considered a THD hot plate (16ohm model) as it is within my range of expense. Seems like a great unit to get the tubes up without blowing my ears or speakers.
Sorry but my only experience was years ago when I tried using a Marshall PowerBrake with my Marshall Super Lead 100W. The amp blew up within MINUTES so I stayed away from power attenuators ever since.

Quote:
Yeah, pisser you cannot get a lot of pedals overseas. I have long wanted to live in France as this country continues to spiral down the rabbit hole of nutdom. Anytime I can relay anything to you, be glad to do that from one one long time player to another. If I moved I would arrange to do that using my daughter for my own gear. Could save a ton of bucks and make a lot more available.
Well thanks but it's not so bad really. I get a lot of gear from the USA but for a single pedal it just doesn't make sense with the custom charges,etc. Whenever possible I will order from AnalogMan because Mike is the best, he always goes out of his way to get the best shipping rates and the stuff arrives fast.

Quote:
I am married to a European and really not the typical american stereotype.
I'm not the typical Swiss stereotype so we should get along well....
darkhorse
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Have you tried the VOX/JS TimeMachine? Satriani uses 2 of them set long and short which pretty stay on plumbed to a "wet" amp loop. I found it to be a decent echo, has a good tap and a long ms range which I have to have. I need something to go almost 800ms as 500ms is just not enough for me. I like delays around 440ms but I would like a little longer. Not crazy w slap back echoes although occasionally they have a use. I have to say musically wise this unit had the best tone of any delay I tried, a noticable difference. At the time I was looking for reverse and a looper and this unit has no reverse. I wish now I had kept it.

I also had the Hardwire Delay/looper which I liked, the tone of the TimeMachine I think was better, but it does not have a hold/looper function I like to have. The Hardwire had a long 8s range, tap tempo, and a loop of 20s which was rather cool. I wish I would have kept it. the Hardwires are good units, better than one would expect. Their by-pass wiring is excellent and they step the voltage up in the unit for better headroom.

At the time I went through 4 delays, probably being too picky, as I passed on a couple I wish I would have held on to. I ended up w the Gigadelay mainly because I loved the idea of having 4 presets plus the manual setting. Worked out pretty good although once again I lost my patience w it. And I looked back to the TimeMachine as having a more musical tone.

I think I had a really old Memory Man too long ago back before we had any idea what true by pass might have been or tone sucking. I got away from EH many years ago but they have become a more update company this age and their products are greatly improved. They also tend to come out w some really cool pedal ideas. Eric Johnson lists the Memory Man Deluxe in his gear pile. Must be decent. I recently got the new EH Nano Small Stone Phaser which I always like because it has such a weird phase. Certainly not "the best" phaser, a rather quirky unhi-fi unit but has by pass now and no volume drop. I do not really like phase or vibe before gains or ODs so this one suits me better. The MXR models have a better phase especially for those who like that before sound. I found the Homebrew and Option 5 phasers to be really interesting and I had my sites on those.

I agree w Analog Man, he really has some great mods. I have had several Keeley mods although I got tired of Boss, I wish he would pick up on some new box mods. I have always heard good things about Analogman's work.

Lately my issues have been with overdrives. Just cannot find the magic one. Plus the money bag has run dry. I recently got some gear from AMS which allows you to make 3 payments without credit or finance charge. Something I tried to get Musician's Friend to open up to. Not a bad deal on AMS, but their gear choices are somewhat limited. I still have another month to go on my payments before I am free to load up again. Problem is AMS does not have Barber, Wampler or Lovepedal which I consider the Holy Grail at this time. So many pedals out there and so many of them are really not much different when it comes to OD.

I experiment with tubes quite a bit in my 100 watter tube head. No magical combination I have found. I get equal killer tones out of 5881/6L6 or EL34s. I do not really see much of a difference. I have tried various preamp tubes but always seem to go back to the 12AX7. Tung Sol seems to be the maker for me. I've been wanting a THD unit as things have improved so much from the 1st model antenuators which indeed did burn up the amp. I have not heard any such issues on the THDs. I do not want to drive mine wide open as I do not really care that much about fried out tube gains. My amp is designed to do that already. I just want to get up to about 5 on my channels and master without peeling the paint. Just a little more color from the power tubes on my clean channel. I have also decided to go back to more higher wattage heavier duty speakers. I have used a Marshall vintage load and a Carvin vintage load (4x12) but my fondness for deeper low end tones is really too much for them. I love pedals and always have a pretty loaded, always changing pedal board. I like a more clean channel and use the boxes to create tone options.

At any rate, appreciate hearing issues about anything you have tried that you dropped so I do not go the same route.

I have to argue somewhat for good buffer circuits because for me the combination of a good buffer circuit and true by pass is a must for the best tone. Some buffers circuits I do not like, like the little Boss pedals, chain several and your signal suffers. Some buffers have surprised me in what they can do. Transparency is big deal for me. I would like to go back to loop isolators on my boxes, another pedal I wish I would have kept. Had the Voodoo Lab 4 loop would love to have that Carl Martin 8, Carl Martin gear is really, really good. The Isolator loops seemed to be the best, to be able to just take the boxes out of chain when not used.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I had a really old Memory Man too long ago back before we had any idea what true by pass might have been or tone sucking. I got away from EH many years ago but they have become a more update company this age and their products are greatly improved. They also tend to come out w some really cool pedal ideas. Eric Johnson lists the Memory Man Deluxe in his gear pile. Must be decent. I recently got the new EH Nano Small Stone Phaser which I always like because it has such a weird phase. Certainly not "the best" phaser, a rather quirky unhi-fi unit but has by pass now and no volume drop. I do not really like phase or vibe before gains or ODs so this one suits me better.
Yeah, EH really got their shit together, I'm very impressed by their stuff. Still US-made (or at least assembled there) yet very affordably priced.

My experience with the EH Nano-series though was hit and miss. The Memory Toy (which I wanted to use for slapback exclusively) was unsusable for me with a huge volume drop and the 'Screaming Bird' was even worse (supposedly it's a Treble Booster but it's rather a HPF at about 5k that will make your guitar sound like it's coming through the built-in speaker of an iPhone).

But I love so many of their pedals and plan to add a few soon like the new Deluxe Memory Man and the Graphic Fuzz and the Worm.

Quote:
I agree w Analog Man, he really has some great mods. I have had several Keeley mods although I got tired of Boss, I wish he would pick up on some new box mods. I have always heard good things about Analogman's work.
Yeah, he's great and completely free of BS. I asked him about which delay would be best for slapback, knowing that he sells his own delay pedal, and he recommended the Aqua Puss!

Quote:
Lately my issues have been with overdrives. Just cannot find the magic one.
For some reason I never liked overdrive pedals, esepcially so the Tube Screamer and the variations thereof. Again, the AnalogMan DS-1 is the one distortion for me, I probably keep it as my only distortion for live use though I like to use fuzzes in the studio as well.

Quote:
I have to argue somewhat for good buffer circuits because for me the combination of a good buffer circuit and true by pass is a must for the best tone.
I pretty much eliminated all the pedals that interfered with the sound. To be more precise I know that ANY pedal will alter the sound to some degree but for me it's just a matter whether I like the final outcome or not.

But I found that using a buffer mainly helps with the dry sound. As soon as say a compressor or distortion is in line, which means most of the time for me then I always prefer the un-buffered sound. I will shootout between the Super Hard-On and EP booster and use one as a clean boost for solos I think.
darkhorse
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry for all the typing. My wife has me watching a series of chick flicks tonight and this is my escape while the movies are playing.

If you like the DS-1 you should opt for the Keeley "Seeing Eye Mod" (bloody amazing) Vai and possibly also Satch were using before their signature pedal deals. I never really liked the stock DS-1, could not get the right feel for me from it. The Keeley mod was so much better. Really improved that unit. Really worth the effort for the mod, Analogman might be doing that one as well (or perhaps you have it). I used it for a while w that mod, it gave it two new modes that had better components.

I have a Satchurator which sounds better to me. Not sure it is better than the mod DS-1 but has a great dist. I really like the Ibanez Tube King TK999HT really the best high gainer I have had. Real tube running at a stepped up voltage inside. They also make an OD model I plan on getting in time. Some do not get this is a 12v high current 400mA pedal that needs to use the power supply they provide for it. You cannot power it off a brick or a typical low current voltage supply. Probably attests to some bad reviews I have seen, most love the box. Everybody wants to toss the EH tube in it which is really unnecesssary and voids your warrenty. There is patently no real difference in 12AX7 tubes merely a better quality of build that might last longer or have less issue of microphonics. The EH tube is not bad quality at all, it is rated pretty good and their gold plate series is one of the best. (thetubestore.com)

A real OD is a nice thing. Too many are just TS copies, that same old "not a real tone control" three knob thing. I want a tone control not just a treble roll off, one of my complaints about the Satchurator distortion but is has a nice sweet spot. One reason the Tube King is so superior is that it can get that tone easily and so much more.

I've had so many ODs and gains over the years. There is no doubt the old TS design works well but I sort of moved beyond it. Paying $345 for a hand-built TS box, I don't think so. The Visual Sound overdrive is a really great TS circuit and has one of the best buffer circuits made for like $100. Really an overhyped rather outdated pedal. I mean SRV made these famous in the 80s. I love the fact Eric Johnson does not use one. There must be a 100 ODs that are just a clone of that circuit and really a little better with some modern tech.

I just dropped my v4 OCD off the board, finally got sick of trying to get it to sound good. I liked the v3 but he ruined the box for me on v4.
I currently use the ICE 9 Overdive as it is a true OD and specifically designed to react on a tube front end. I also like it before my high gains to act as a signal boost enhancing the dynamics. It was different to get used to because it is not a typical low gain TS box. It also does not clean up completely unless you roll off the volume which is one reason I want to go Barber.

Do you know Barber? Dave makes quite a few great ODs that are voiced differently and have as many as 4 trim pots inside and a push/pull on the tone control for customizing the tone. Really transparent and enhancing. I more so like the idea of clean boosts over the dirty OD, one reason I wanted to try out the EP Booster. Judging by the way you use boxes, like me an isolator loop pedal would be great. I was using one early last year and like a nit I traded it off. The Carl Martin Octo is my new target. 8 loops, complete bypass, isolated loop switches with 8 dip switches on the 8 foot switches to route the loops in any combination by a single preset (you sort of have to plan out the loops in a decent order using one or more pedals and then add the loops/pedals in a new chain). When off, zero signal load, optioned w buffer or straight by bass input. Really a sweet unit, even makes a difference on true by pass pedals. I have been so impressed by Carl Martin out of Denmark these days. The Plexi Drive is a real sought after unit. His delays and other pedals all seem to be great quality and tone. I need my delays to go at least 800ms, most are limited to 500ms. I heard that Aqua Puss is great but does not have a lot of ms.

Speaking of EH newbies. The Nano Small Stone I have is better than the original but it is still a wierd little phaser. I like the POG units and that Ring Thing looks interesting. I found Prescription Electronics again, they really do not have hardly any easy to find vendors. You can order directly from them. I had that Experience Pedal about 12 years ago, a really cool Jimi in a box, if you like fuzz and octavias that puppy is too cool, does a reverse type envelope effect on the fuzz that nothing else can do. Eric Johnson has one so you know it's got the Jimi thing going. I think I paid like $100 for it, now it is $300. It was too cool but in the band I was in at the time I could not find a spot for the tone. They make a cool Vibe unit as well that sounds amazing. All hand built and very uncommon pedals. Dare I say boutique.
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys, can I play? You know there're parts of the pedal business that absolutely suck! Fuller can be a dick, depends on what day it is and whether he wants to admit there's a problem. He replaced the switch on the FDII that I bought used, free with no problem. But then I argued with him about one of his fuzzes once...

Sean at Lovepedal isn't getting a lot of love these days, it turns out that his AmpII pedal, which I have and really like, is almost an exact clone of a Timmy pedal (built by Paul Cochrane, one of the nicest guys in the world and sells his pedals way cheap). Not sure where that's going to end up. BTW, the Tim or the Timmy IS one of the good ones.

Hermida's stuff is top notch which is why there're are Zendrives on a lot of pro boards. Another guy whose prices aren't bad. Bill Finnegan's Klon gets a lot of press good and bad, the new version will be smaller and seems like it's going to sound even better, well worth looking for.

If you live in Europe THIS is the new renaissance of fuzz: they can still get Mullard OC81d and OC75s, AC128s there: so you can have handwired clones of all the Tonebenders for relative cheap (at least compared to DAM MkIIs at $700+). Blackout Effectors builds the Twosome which is THE killer fuzz now: it can do FuzzFace, Mk II, Big Muff and even weirder stuff, killer!

Yeah, EHX is doing a lot of weird and wonderful stuff, but that was always their thing. I've got a "Super Space Drum" from the late 70s that Mike Matthews doesn't even remember building! Anyway, the Deluxe Memory Man with Tap tempo is the killer application: MN3005 delay with digital control. I WANT one, even more than I've wanted a Moog 104z...

However the best thing in pedals by far right now is DIY! I built a Way Huge Red Llama last week: 2 hours to finish the box, 2 hours to solder, 3 hours to trouble shoot (damn!!!) and it sounds absolutely great. The original would cost you $300, a clone $150, built it for $50! Especially for dirt which is usually a pretty simple circuit, it's hard to argue with those kind of economics: GeneralGuitarGadgets, 4ms and BYOC kits!
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
I also took my v4 OCD out of the line. I am tired of trying to get something good out of it. Even as a clean boost, I just do not like it. I tried so hard to use and like this box.
I had the v3 and I liked the deeper bass and tone it had at lower gain settings. Just do not like the v4.
Put a jumper in place of the 1N34A diode and you got a version 3 again. The extra diode (in v4) makes it fizzy and takes away the more classic grit.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma View Post
Put a jumper in place of the 1N34A diode and you got a version 3 again. The extra diode (in v4) makes it fizzy and takes away the more classic grit.

Seriously, that would be sweet! How do I locate the 1N34A? I was reading up on the OCD versions and some say there are more changes. I could handle the v3 again but I just do not like the v4. Anybody else have mods for this box. I have never opened it up.

http://www.pedalarea.com/ocd.htm indicates v4 from v3 has
-added germanium diode in clipping section
- volume control pot tapering changed (logarithmic)
- Opamp feedback loop capacitor and tone control capacitor values lowered for decreased bass reponse

v3 states it has (from v2)
-500> 1 Meg drive pot
- tone capacitor changed .1u>.047u
-tone pot changed 25k>10k

Just about everything you could imagine about the OCD versions on this URL. I am afraid it is beyond my tech to obtain the components and operate. Looks like one could get close to the v3 by changing the tone cap and jumpering out the germanium diode.
darkhorse
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Hey guys, can I play? You know there're parts of the pedal business that absolutely suck! Fuller can be a dick, depends on what day it is and whether he wants to admit there's a problem. He replaced the switch on the FDII that I bought used, free with no problem. But then I argued with him about one of his fuzzes once...

Sean at Lovepedal isn't getting a lot of love these days, it turns out that his AmpII pedal, which I have and really like, is almost an exact clone of a Timmy pedal (built by Paul Cochrane, one of the nicest guys in the world and sells his pedals way cheap). Not sure where that's going to end up. BTW, the Tim or the Timmy IS one of the good ones.

Hermida's stuff is top notch which is why there're are Zendrives on a lot of pro boards. Another guy whose prices aren't bad. Bill Finnegan's Klon gets a lot of press good and bad, the new version will be smaller and seems like it's going to sound even better, well worth looking for.

If you live in Europe THIS is the new renaissance of fuzz: they can still get Mullard OC81d and OC75s, AC128s there: so you can have handwired clones of all the Tonebenders for relative cheap (at least compared to DAM MkIIs at $700+). Blackout Effectors builds the Twosome which is THE killer fuzz now: it can do FuzzFace, Mk II, Big Muff and even weirder stuff, killer!

Yeah, EHX is doing a lot of weird and wonderful stuff, but that was always their thing. I've got a "Super Space Drum" from the late 70s that Mike Matthews doesn't even remember building! Anyway, the Deluxe Memory Man with Tap tempo is the killer application: MN3005 delay with digital control. I WANT one, even more than I've wanted a Moog 104z...

However the best thing in pedals by far right now is DIY! I built a Way Huge Red Llama last week: 2 hours to finish the box, 2 hours to solder, 3 hours to trouble shoot (damn!!!) and it sounds absolutely great. The original would cost you $300, a clone $150, built it for $50! Especially for dirt which is usually a pretty simple circuit, it's hard to argue with those kind of economics: GeneralGuitarGadgets, 4ms and BYOC kits!
Hey join in. That is what I like about this site, some real tech guys. For once I am in the midst of those who know more than me. Yeah, that is rare, I know.

I am not saying yea or nay but it would seem one could compare a whole lot of circuits as plausible copies. I suspect there is little new or untried under the sun. Seems like no matter what you do to sweeten or trick out an OD or anything, it is probably close to something. i would hate to see Sean smeared on that if he really had no intent of copy. Or maybe if you can take something and improve it that might be somewhat kosher as long as there is no patent issue. HiWatt and Marshall were efforts to make a British Fender, they came up with something better.

I dig that AMP 11 box and Sean of Lovepedal is one of the big three for me, w Dave Barber and Wampler. Hermida is really great as well and not too badly priced. Have you seen that Japanese guy who does the steriod Zen Drive Dumble boxes? Dumkudo, Zenkudo, I think. Weird names cannot remember them, super high dollar. I dig the Zen Drive and the Timmy and Tim are legendary boxes, I can never seem to find a source for them, big wait list I think. One thing I like about my big three and Hermida you can actually buy one today and get it shipped. The new Klon sounds great to me I cannot wait to see it come out. I always seem to make anything sound great but I just could not groove on the V4 OCD no matter how I tried to use it. And really one word for Fuller: MY FAT BOOST HUMS!!! It's not my gear, it's yours!!!

I wish I could do such level of tech. I just started making my own cables and setting my amp bias. Care to do some surgery on a OCD or a Fat Boost? I will have to look into some of these kits after I finish my cable adventures. I saw a Klon kit recently which was not the same, it turned the Klon into a 3 knob typical OD. Something I very much do not want.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Seriously, that would be sweet! How do I locate the 1N34A? I was reading up on the OCD versions and some say there are more changes. I could handle the v3 again but I just do not like the v4. Anybody else have mods for this box. I have never opened it up.

Pedalarea - OCD indicates v4 from v3 has
-added germanium diode in clipping section
- volume control pot tapering changed (logarithmic)
- Opamp feedback loop capacitor and tone control capacitor values lowered for decreased bass reponse

v3 states it has (from v2)
-500> 1 Meg drive pot
- tone capacitor changed .1u>.047u
-tone pot changed 25k>10k

Just about everything you could imagine about the OCD versions on this URL. I am afraid it is beyond my tech to obtain the components and operate. Looks like one could get close to the v3 by changing the tone cap and jumpering out the germanium diode.
It's hard to tell from the top view but from the pic in the link it looks like it is just above C1 (just to the left of Q3). Check yours out from the side and if it is clear glass with most likely an orange and green band around it that's the one. I put sockets in the one I built and tried the extra germanium diode and didn't like it at all. Because it is situated on it's end all you have to do is cut close to the diode leaving as much of the leads as possible and you will have plenty extra to twist together and solder.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to Portcity
Somewhat related topic. I have been debating the Fulltone Fatboost, the zvex Super Hard On, Xotic BB Preamp or RC Booster

I am using A Fulltone PlimSoul as my main distortion and am pretty happy. Although when cranked it does have a hum. (I am using it at 18v)

My main issue is I run a lot of effects and my signal is so degraded by the time it gets to the amp it just has no life to it.

I used the Fulltone Fat Boost today with my setup and was not blown away.

Ive used the Zvex Super Hard On and liked it a lot. However I didn't get to use it with my pedal board.

I guess my main question is if I'm trying to boost the signal going to the amp after my effects whats the best booster to get and...should it go after my effects (increasing the noise) or before the effects driving them harder?

Thanks!
darkhorse
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's hard to tell from the top view but from the pic in the link it looks like it is just above C1 (just to the left of Q3). Check yours out from the side and if it is clear glass with most likely an orange and green band around it that's the one. I put sockets in the one I built and tried the extra germanium diode and didn't like it at all. Because it is situated on it's end all you have to do is cut close to the diode leaving as much of the leads as possible and you will have plenty extra to twist together and solder.

Cool, I have it apart checking it out. I will make this mod, maybe it will sound better without having to redo the tone cap. Thanks for the info. Another reason why I dig this site.
darkhorse
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portcity View Post
Somewhat related topic. I have been debating the Fulltone Fatboost, the zvex Super Hard On, Xotic BB Preamp or RC Booster

I am using A Fulltone PlimSoul as my main distortion and am pretty happy. Although when cranked it does have a hum. (I am using it at 18v)

My main issue is I run a lot of effects and my signal is so degraded by the time it gets to the amp it just has no life to it.

Ive used the Zvex Super Hard On and liked it a lot. However I didn't get to use it with my pedal board.

I guess my main question is if I'm trying to boost the signal going to the amp after my effects whats the best booster to get and...should it go after my effects (increasing the noise) or before the effects driving them harder?

Thanks!

Funny you should bring this up. I was just looking at some cool new pedals today from Carl Martin out of Denmark. There is this great box the "Buff" Delux Boost. You plug your guitar into the 1st input, out into your chain, chain end into the 2nd input, and that out goes to your amp. Dual buffered chain, retains all of your signal and will do wonders to cut the noise floor without a noise reduction unit. CM also has a "Hydra" Boost which is not much really, just a straight clean boost. I think I am going to get these two new boxes. I was planing on the new EPBooster from Xiotic but I think this might be a better setup. Refer to musciansfriend.com for details and pricing on a bunch of hard to find Carl Martin's. The EP booster from Xiotic is not a gain box or overdrive just a clean boost, most of their other boxes called "boosters" are gain dist boxes. I have seen players use a clean boost before and after their main Xiotic booster pedal for differing voices of gain.

I prefer a boost or a clean OD BEFORE my other gain boxes or modulator effects. It enhances the dynamics and intensity of them, as well as pushing the amp input when by itself. It drives the high gain tube channels like an OD but without the coloring and helps the clean channel dynamics. My amp has 2 clean boosters post preamp which give my a vol boost if I need it. Some will place a good quality boost in their loop to get a vol boost for solos and whatnot. Since I have that built in my amp I use mine to enhance the guitar signal slightly makes the other boxes response so much better.

Fulltone brags on using 18v but really only the OCD can handle it from what I have tried. I like it at 16v but the Fat Boost was good at 12v, above that and the hum was terrible, not a high gain dist hum, a circuit hum. I was using the Fat Boost as Fuller recomended at chain end to enhance the signal loss. It is not really an OD more like a clean boost w just a touch of grit. I ran mine w the drive down.
I looked at the Plimsoul but just didn't seem right for me. I am so sick of single "tone" controls that are not really anything but a treble rolloff. I've been gravely disapointed in Fulltone. I wanted the DejaVibe but I am going for another Vibe. I am going to try the diode removal mod above and see if I can use the OCD again. I retired the Fat Boost and will go with the Carl Martin boost or buffer boost.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
They did not reply the 2nd time I send a request or repair. It's always like it must be your power supply or cables, always!!!! Screw it, I am done with Fulltone, this is not the first time their tech support was useless and how demeaning they are. But Fulltone, that is it for me, no more. Ubervibe or VersaVibe over the DejaVibe.
Yes. But at least we're not alone, eh? I'll prolly try again when i cool off. It's been several tries over the past 18 months. I've sold off a few, but still like the ones i kept. And, especially since i'm a drummer, i don't have time to dink around finding alternative replacements.

Love my TTE. Dread getting it serviced.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I did the diode removal mod as mentioned above. All went well as far as I can tell. Destroyed the little bugger getting it out but the jump bridge went well. Should work, too late tonight to sound it out. Will get back on the results tommorrow.

Thanks for the info on this I would have never thought of trying to regress the version mod without some tips. Let's hope it sounds good just removing the germanium diode. I do not think I am up to try and replace the tone cap. I suspect that is what I liked about the v3, it was darker voiced. I maybe this will sound somewhere between a 3 and 4 mod. The v3.5 OCD mod, I like that. Complements of the gearslutz.

Guy above, I am one of those people who holds an issue. I have repeatedly tried to make use of the OCD and Fat Boost. Gotten them back out of the boxes several times. If this OCD "un-mod" works I will use it but the Fat Boost hums and I cannot deal with circuit hum in my rig. Fuller's tech dept does not want to admit there is something wrong so where does that leave me but a disatisfied customer who will gladly shift my pedal needs over to Barber, Hermida, Lovepedal or Wampler.

You have the bucks to spring on that tape echo you have to realize in time, it's moving parts, the heads will eventually wear down and the tape, well, a couple Jimmy Page sessions and so much for that one. They have always been the best echo, no doubt, but my God $1400, I cannot bite that apple, some of the mimics are cool enough for me.

Later, tone cats...
darkhorse
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

modifying the version 1.4 OCD - The Low Gain 3.5 OCD!!

As mentioned above by one of the gurus here and a website explaining the differences between versions of the OCD, now on its 4th alteration.

I liked the v3 OCD better, it was warmer, darker voiced and had more of a Trower tone for me. The v4 is brighter, more distorted, and might sonically be "better" but pretty much ruined the box for me. No matter how I tried to use the v4 clean or gained I just was not happy w the tone and interaction.

Among the tone cap and vol pot changes to the v4 from the v3 a new germanium 1N34A diode was added. This mod is a removal of that diode without having the parts to full regress back to a v3 model. I am calling this the 3.5v mod.
The diode, as my esteemed friend above identified, is located on the left side of the board just above C1 and to the right of Q3, it appears as a clear glass like component, mine was firmly held in place by a hard clear silicon to the nearby components. Object here is to remove the diode without damaging the device and jumper solder the position that it bridged.

Carefully reach under the diode pins (on top of the board) and clip the short one right up to the diode body, clip carefully the hard silicon bonding that glues it to the two neighbring components. Reach in and clip the remaining pin on the diode trying to leave as much attached to the board as you can.

Pull the diode off, it will not be reusable. I am not sure you can salvage it by solder wicking the pins out of the board because removing the silicon bonding agent results in damage to the diode. So...this is a one way mod, no reversing, unless you can obtain replacement matching components. I am sure some sonic wiz out there could suggest where to locate and replace a better tone cap or vol pot fix but I find it hard to work on these boards. If you are good w solder wick you might be able to do it.

Bend the remaining pin over to the other pin, and make bridge w a little solder, be carefule not to over heat the board or use too much solder. I used a silver solder for this tiny weld.

I am not that experienced of a tech and I was able to remove the diode and make the bridge connection without to much concern. (Put your glasses on unless you have much better eyesight than me).

The Result and Tone:
Being unable to replace the original v3 tone cap and vol pot change, I hoped for the best on this operation. Please no noise or hum or malformed distortion harmonics....

As of present I only tried the new mod by itself at 9v not wanting any interaction or power issue to make a difference. I will try those later on today.

1st off on power up: clean channel of course. No hum or noise, good first sign. Now hoping the circuit works.

Switch on, very clean, much more a cleaner boost. All signs of harsh gain are gone. A really low gain OCD Boost is the result. Does not have the vol of the v4 nor the darker tone of the v3, but it works, and the change is very useable.

On LP gain off to 9:00, tone all the way through, smooth response, a clean boost, does not color the signal other than the "tone" control rolling off the treble.
You can tell the vol pot is not the same as the v3 and the tone cap would make a difference. This mod is much less gainy than any OCD config. Much more to my use and liking.

If you liked the really fuzzy gained up OCD you will not like this. If you were one of the users who kept the gain lower no more than 12:00 maybe more like 9:00 or down. You will like this mod. It is more a clean boost with all signs of the gainy fizzy distortion gone. The HP (high peak) switch, as before, adds 1 peak around 1K, making it brighter, both LP and HP have their uses. Brighter w more presence(HP) or more transparent(LP).

So far I like it. I had removed the pedal off my board now I will integrat it in as a clean boost before my higher gains. It is now more a light gain OD I prefer w the diode clip. It is no Barber by any means but at least I can use it.
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
describe your full pedal chain and then people can chime in. Hard to diagnose without knowing how many pedals, what kinds, etc.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear maniac

Glad you are digging the jumper mod. I wouldn't worry about the different pot taper. You might need to turn it further clockwise to get the same volume you had in V3. It's still a 500K. Here is a good description of how the different pot types work:
Beavis Audio Research
As far as the cap changes I would make sure to try the pedal with your rig at your normal playing volume before adding extra bass into the circuit. Too much bass going into the clipping section could give you more flab than bark than you might ultimately prefer. This of course is all dependent on your settings and sonic preference. Heck, if you really want to get into it then get some sockets:
Socket - Strip - 30-pin
and voice to your hearts content.
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That totally depends on your setup and preferences. Generally speaking using a boost pedal last in the chain will give you the most increase in volume as opposed to just driving your other effects harder when using the booster first in the chain. Personally I didn't like this setup when I tried it and I vastly prefer using a volume pedal to control the levels along with the volume control on the guitar itself.

As I said above, I was going back and forth between the Super Hard-On and the EP Booster, finally deciding to use neither as a 'buffer'. For me it's a bit like compressing/limiting mixes before mastering. You quickly get addicted to the increase in gain and 'excitement', in other words I liked having the EP Booster add gain (and it works great for that without the thinning out of distortion sounds that most boosters including the Super Hard-On are prone to). But I realized that my sound is better without the buffer in the same sense that in most cases using less distortion than you would initially want results in a better sound.

My personal solution at the moment is to use the EP to boost the level for clean solos. I used to do this with my AnalogMan BiComprossor but I have a love/hate relationship with compression and I'm never really happy with the sound though I enjoy the increase in sustain and the 'pop' of the attack. I also realized that using the compressor as a boost for solos never works for me for some reason, I always keep jacking the level up.

Any pedal that will 'dull up' the sound of my setup will be thrown out fast - buffer or not. If you NEED a buffer to 'retain' the sound then something is definitely wrong IMO. That's why a lot of my pedals incl. the DL4 and some other delays ended up on e-bay.

But I know that ANY pedal will change the sound to some extent, for me it's just a question if I like the results or not. If you have doubt about this compare the 'buffered' sound with all other effects in bypass to the sound of the guitar straight into the amp. It never sounds the same and I don't care if you use a Cornish/Bradshaw setup and whatever 'everybody else is wrong'- bypass theory behind it. But you might PREFER the buffered sound which is my point - the electric guitar is part of a whole that includes cables, amps, pedals,etc so what matters is the final sound.

Using a Ernie Ball Volume pedal like I often do definitely attenuates the hi-end response and the headroom a tad. But I always though that the sound retains its relative balance (thus not making it dull) and so I don't mind using it as the benefits make it worthwile for me. But something like my Colorsound Wah which is fantastic by itself is unusable to me in a live setting as it really kills the sound when off, even when 'buffering' the signal first.

Cables really do matter as well, no need to spend big bucks on snake-oil products but there are pretty big differences between different brands and types of cable so it pays off to experiment a bit. This is all a continuing process for me but I try not to get too obsessed with it. At the moment I'm streamlining my setup and I'm concentrating hard to improve my playing technique especially regarding pressure/sustain/vibrato of the left hand as I find that this makes a much bigger difference to me than buying yet another 'latest and greatest' compressor pedal.

BTW, if anybody is interested in a OCD V1 please PM me and make an offer.
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
in most cases using less distortion than you would initially want results in a better sound.
This is a good point especially when recording. I think the evolution of the OCD follows the typical growth/problem of trying to get "more". Kind of how I view the evolution of distorted guitar sounds from the '70s into the decade that followed:
Bad Company, Thin Lizzy = ballsy
Van Halen = more distortion and still ballsy
'80s beer commercial and bands with that sound = even more distortion, balls are now gone.

OCD V4 to my ears crossed over into fizzy beer commercial territory.
darkhorse
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
dfegadMike Fuller owner of fulltone as fas as a person goes is GARBAGE!
He's very insulting and condesending! I sold my OCD v4, Ultimate Octave, Chorus/flange, and Mosfet 2!!! They are not all that! I found out the hard way! I have a few more of his pedals Im hanging onto and thats it!! I never wanna have to do business with him again! The sooner he goes out of business the better! He's a disgustiing person.

I have always given him the benefit of doubt because, let's face it, 85% of guitar players are complete idiots. But, several times I have contacted his technical support, maybe it's just him, but always the same thing, it has to be on your end like his pedals cannot possibly be having a problem. I am a former semiconductor process engineer and I have been playing guitar with uncountable numbers of pedals for decades and everytime: "Remove the pedal from your chain, add a fresh battery and a good cable (do not use any solderless for the test) straight into the amp and see if there is a hum". First place I have not used batteries since I was a teenager, all my cables are first rate, what difference does it make if there is no hum at a battery level or by itself, when the issue is the hum becomes unbearable above 12v? Everytime you respond back, explaining you are not a teenager daisy chaining effects or using crap cables, much less I used to be an engineer, they just do not get back to you again. Sort of like if you speak up in any manner against what they say you are not worthy of talking to and you can eat the effect.

I have had it w them. I will not buy another Fulltone even if they have a 2 for 1 sale. Sean at Lovepedal and Dave of Barber seem to be really nice guys who make better pedals. Wampler seems to be concerned about his customers as well. What kicks me about Fuller is the hype he puts out on his manual sheets about the pedals, blah, blah, best thing since fried chicken, you look at his own personal board and he does not use his own pedals. You would think he would pretty much demo what he makes but he uses his out of production fuzz boxes and the expensive tape echo, not sure I saw a DejaVibe much less no OCD or Fat Boost.
darkhorse
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Glad you are digging the jumper mod. I wouldn't worry about the different pot taper. You might need to turn it further clockwise to get the same volume you had in V3. It's still a 500K. Here is a good description of how the different pot types work:
Beavis Audio Research
As far as the cap changes I would make sure to try the pedal with your rig at your normal playing volume before adding extra bass into the circuit. Too much bass going into the clipping section could give you more flab than bark than you might ultimately prefer. This of course is all dependent on your settings and sonic preference. Heck, if you really want to get into it then get some sockets:
Socket - Strip - 30-pin
and voice to your hearts content.
Again excellent advice. The only reason I like the OCD was it's dark warmer voice at lower gain. It definitely has way less gain than a V3 but that is OK because I did not turn it up much anyway. There must be another diode in that position on the v3 adding more dist but for me it is workable as is. I will be messing w it some more today running in through the paces and I also have interaction with my other pedals. I'll see how it goes. I am in the midst of wiring up some new cables which is going to take some time and then replumb my board connections (adding the OCD back in as well).

At any rate I appreciate the advise and info, it is cool to pull out all the gain the box has and it might not be a true v3 but it is better for me than it was which was in a box, next to the Fat Boost.
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What kicks me about Fuller is the hype he puts out on his manual sheets about the pedals, blah, blah, best thing since fried chicken, you look at his own personal board and he does not use his own pedals.
In all fairness, this level of self-hype is pretty common with manufactures in general. And I think that many players just fall for it i.e the expect the impossible. No matter what anybody tells you, NO pedal will make an amp sound like a wide-open Plexi in the same way that no compressor pedal will ever be 'transparent'.

The big 'hype' with distortion/overdrive pedals seems to be headroom. OCD is the greatest pedal ever but we just released the Plimsoul which of course leaves the OCD in the dust - and then some. Fact is, I don't WANT too much headroom on a distortion pedal, I didn't like the OCD on 12 or 18V. IMO, the sound becomes harsh and taut. VMMV.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search