How to make a 20 watt amp louder
Iggy Poop
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

How to make a 20 watt amp louder

Other than adding more speakers, is there anyway to take a 20 watt guitar amp and actually add more wattage somehow? For instance, can you take an electro harmonix 44 magnum and somehow use that 44 watts to boost the volume?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
cork sniffer

Increasing the voltage to the output tubes will help, and pushing the preamp harder.
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Compression
Iggy Poop
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Increasing the voltage to the output tubes will help, and pushing the preamp harder.
How does one do that?
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear maniac

put your ear closer

(or replace your speaker with a more efficient one that puts out more dBs with the same power/wattage)
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Guru

My neighbor owned a magical modded Black Face '65 DR

The transformer was upgraded and the tubes were changed to 6L6's
converting the amp to 40 watts .

It sounded more like a DR/VR with a single 12"
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Head

scud got it, look for replacement speakers of the same size (probably 12") and Ohms (usually 8 or 16) with a sensitivity of 100-105dB (or more if you can, 115's are out there). This is the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to make the amp louder. To double the volume using amplification, you would need 10X the watts, in your case 200w.
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
(or replace your speaker with a more efficient one that puts out more dBs with the same power/wattage)
+1. 20 watts can be unbearably loud through the right speaker. Try an EVM 12L or a JBL E120. Neither sound like, for instance, a Celestion or Jensen. But they're both a lot more efficient. Eminence also has a good selection of high efficiency speakers.
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

With an SPL Transducer, it is possible to take an untreated (without the SPL simulation) speaker signal which is transformed to line level and send it to an additional power amp - and from there to for example guitar cabs. This way you can blow up your volume as loud as you like.
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
Other than adding more speakers, is there anyway to take a 20 watt guitar amp and actually add more wattage somehow? For instance, can you take an electro harmonix 44 magnum and somehow use that 44 watts to boost the volume?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
uy a bigger amp.
Mic your amp and let the PA do the work.
Tell everyone else to turn down.

If you reference SPLs verses wattage you will see that there is only a small SPL difference for a large gain in wattage.

There is a lot of amp building and mod info at ax84 dot com.
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat,drunk&stupid View Post
scud got it, look for replacement speakers of the same size (probably 12") and Ohms (usually 8 or 16) with a sensitivity of 100-105dB (or more if you can, 115's are out there). This is the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to make the amp louder. To double the volume using amplification, you would need 10X the watts, in your case 200w.
thumbsup - eg Celestion Vintage 30 which also has a hefty peak in the upper mid "loudness" frequencies
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
slave the preamp output to another dummy amp?
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear
Can you tell us the situation? Music type, band, what kind of sound you're looking for? It's easy to make an amp louder, louder and clean is much harder!
Iggy Poop
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Can you tell us the situation? Music type, band, what kind of sound you're looking for? It's easy to make an amp louder, louder and clean is much harder!
It's pretty simple. I recently started playing with a band that plays 1 or 2 gigs a month. I have alot of really nice amps but they're all kinda big and heavy and I didn't want to lug around a big setup for this particular project so I bought this Bugera v22 which was pretty inexpensive and sounded way better than anything else I tried in the $300-$600 range. But it seems to be just a bit too low in the band context. If I could just give it a little more boost it would probably be fine. It sounds great so I have no issue in that regard. I'm gonna try swapping out the speaker first.
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Is the speaker cabinet on the floor?
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Get your amp either off the floor if it is with what you've got - chair, amp stand, etc. so you can hear it better.

If there's a PA, mic your amp and let the PA take some of the heavy work.

No pedal will magically make your Bugera louder. Putting in a higher wattage speaker will make it louder, but it will also change the sound of the amp considerably - Behringer spends time looking for the best combination of amp, cab and speaker for the price point, but also to sound good. If you like the way your amp sounds, be sure you can try out speakers or return them if you don't like the way it sounds.

You can always get a hand truck from Home Depot as I did and carry bigger amps in and out, but for smaller gigs I just bring my 20-watt upgraded Princeton Reverb.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
put your ear closer

The best way.

Watts are a measure of power, dB are a measure of relative loudness and varies with the efficiency of the speaker, as well as all the other data from the amp itself.
A large part of why 30 tube/valve watts tends to sound louder than more modern transistor amps is that the oldies had far more efficient speakers.

I have an 11 watt Wide panel deluxe with a little 12" high efficiency Celestion from way back in it.
That is one loud little amp and mostly because the speaker is very efficient.
Look at the dBW figures in a speaker`s specification and choose one that gets as close to or higher than 100dBW as you can.
This figure indicates the loudness level acheived at a distance of one metre from the speaker for a 1watt @ .75 volts (0dBv "standard" ) input from the amp.

This is a gross over simplification but will hopefully give you the general idea.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search