Login / Register
 
Ready to destroy my pedalboard
New Reply
Subscribe
kjs5421
Thread Starter
#1
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 4

Thread Starter
kjs5421 is offline
Ready to destroy my pedalboard

so lately i've been getting a lot of buzz from my pedalboard (i know people get this a lot). my guitars and amp are good, i recently got new cables and i have tried out each pedal individually and found no culprit.

There is no noise when going guitar-->amp
and guitar--->pedals--->amp (using the board as a power source but without going into its guitar, amp, and pedal inputs). So i think it is solely the pedal board. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks.
#2
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
sameal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: back in the illinoiz.
Posts: 3,427

sameal is offline
gonna need your pedal board specs, bub.


since you already ran them individually, start with one pedal, then add another, test, add another test, until you start getting the noise.
__________________
My bands:
http://randomlyassoertedangels.bandcamp.com

Yep, spelled it wrong. 13 some odd albums later, whats a guy ta do?
#3
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,560

drbob1 is online now
So, you have one of those pedalboards with effects loops/power outputs? I guess I'd try running the pedals from the board power but using just straight cables first. If that gets things humming then it's the power supply or cables. If that's OK, then try the pedals thru the patch bay with off board power. It's probably something making bad contact somewhere in the pedalboard. If it were Trailer Trash they'd likely fix it for you, others like SKB, not so much...
kjs5421
Thread Starter
#4
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #4
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 4

Thread Starter
kjs5421 is offline
its an skb-ps-45..im running a boss tuner, tubescreamer, jekyl and hide distortion, q-tron, and line-6 dl-4 through it. ill get a pic up tomorrow.
the buzz starts immediately when i put any single pedal through the board.
#5
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
sameal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: back in the illinoiz.
Posts: 3,427

sameal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs5421 View Post
its an skb-ps-45..im running a boss tuner, tubescreamer, jekyl and hide distortion, q-tron, and line-6 dl-4 through it. ill get a pic up tomorrow.
the buzz starts immediately when i put any single pedal through the board.

sounds like it's the board then. can you run just your guitar or just plug the board into the amp?

maybe take your pedal setup through the amp minus the board all together?

either one of those will single it out.
#6
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
davet's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 725

davet is offline
I've seen this issue with the type of board you have. Scrap the power supply and get a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Works great, no noise.
DaveT
kjs5421
Thread Starter
#7
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #7
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 4

Thread Starter
kjs5421 is offline
is it bad if i just use it to power the pedals going guitar-pedals-amp? i get no buzz with that
#8
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
davet's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 725

davet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs5421 View Post
is it bad if i just use it to power the pedals going guitar-pedals-amp? i get no buzz with that
Not sure I understand the question. I use the divide and conquer method: Start with one pedal, get it working. Start adding one pedal at a time until something breaks. You'll find the culprit that way. Some pedals don't play nice with each other. Happens all the time.
DT
#9
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
sameal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: back in the illinoiz.
Posts: 3,427

sameal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs5421 View Post
is it bad if i just use it to power the pedals going guitar-pedals-amp? i get no buzz with that

if you get no buzz from that, then go with it.


if your routing your pedals audio signal through the board, and buzz happens, then the board patch points have a problem. you will probably have to open her up for some surgery.
kjs5421
Thread Starter
#10
24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
  #10
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 4

Thread Starter
kjs5421 is offline
alright cool thanks a lot everybody!
#11
24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,613

nedorama is offline
sounds like the boss or furman pedalboard.

You're better off buying (or building) a plain pedalboard with a good power supply, such as the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2.

Question - are the amp and the pedalcase power plugged into the same outlet or different outlets? If they're different outlets, you have a ground loop. Make sure your gear is plugged into the same outlet/power strip.
__________________
nedorama
Monkey Boy Studios
Summit 2BA-221, TLA-50
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
#12
24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,292

darkhorse is offline
Sounds like ground loop hum. Single coils magnify the problem while humbucklers do not get rid of the problem they just cover it up.
I change my board quite a bit and I work to have a totally quite system with no noise on my single coils.

You need to power effects from an isloated port brick, do not daisy chain.
Electrical rule is you can give something higher mA than it needs (to an extent) but NOT less. A lot of guys use those daisy chained power supplies which in some low tech cases might work but end up causing more problems than they solve. Most younger players have little concern for their power supply rigging. I saw one guy on the internet who was using as std 9v 100mA wart to daisy an entire chain. That will work if the sum total of all the pedals is <100mA but it is a bad idea. (Sum total of all the pedals mA currents should be well less than the max rated output of the common supply.) Most quality power bricks have plenty of mA supply.

Are you getting any bad pops from any true by-pass pedals? That is a sure sign of ground problems. Fulltone used to do this to me all the time with bad popping due to by-pass pedals building a charge on the switch.

I remove all the batteries from my pedals and everything gets fed from a BBE Supra-Charger that gets its power from a Furman power conditioner filter. Never underestimate the importance of your power feeds. Getting rid of the batteries solves a lot of ground loop and charging problems. Some complain "what if the power goes out the batteries are like a backup". Seriously if the power goes out so does my amp, so sound is down. Besides I bloody hate batteries. Effects will almost always sound better and work to their full design w a good fixed and regulated power supply.

Another problem with board noise is from the design of certain pedals which cause the tubes to become more sensitive to interference (12AX7s are really sensitive to 60 cycle hum and radio) you get radio coming through or the 60 hz cycle hum of the electrical supply magnified by a nearby florescent fixture, when you are not playing.

Been my experience the Vox/JS Satchurator causes this a lot, probably are a lot of others. The solve for this type of interference or hum can be fixed by a Faraday cage, a copper grounded and insulated screen that goes over the V1 tube (see tubestore.com/tube cage like $17). Sometimes really major shielding and grounding on some guitars will kill it but not usually.

The importance of a isolated, filitered and surge protected power supply is essential for a good pedal board and to suppy the amp with a constant, clean and regulated voltage. Some companies will argue the very power cord to your amp will effect the sound of the amp. Do not cheap out anymore than you would use cheap line cables.

A Power Clamp (locks voltage at a constant 100v) Conditioner also helps to filter out noise in the electrical supply. Furman and Carvin made very reasonably priced main 110v supplies, Voodoo Lab and BBE made really good isolated bricks for pedals.
Remember, be sure to match the box's voltage and mA draw. You can give a pedal more mA than it needs but not less. Most pedals draw less than a 100 mA which is the usual port current on bricks. Good ones offer switches and some ports with uo to 200 mA and higher voltage for some rare effects. Never give a box more voltage than it is rated, you will fry it. Some like Fulltones can take a range of 9-18v. Most are just 9v. I had a Morely Wah last year that was a 300mA draw, no brick could supply it so I ran a separate wart for it from a multi-suuply also fed by the Furman. My Whammy is a 200mA pedal and has a special high current wart.

If you're like me any sort of hum or interference is intollerable on my board. I work to get rid of it and to keep the sound HD.
__________________
"Funny thing about VINTAGE, when those old cats played that gear and got those legendary tones the gear was NEW, and it did not cost all that much."
#13
24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
sameal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: back in the illinoiz.
Posts: 3,427

sameal is offline
that response was excellent.

i actually could use a bit of that information on my tube pres. that Faraday cage would work out nicely, and hopefully drop the noise i seem to be having.
#14
25th December 2010
Old 25th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,292

darkhorse is offline
I plan to add one when I get around to budgeting the guitar money around, They are like $17, which you have to love low price things which work well.

It's weird but my board and amp have always been dead silent and I tend to try out different tubes quite a bit and rebias. I never had this issue, not since, I was a teenager with the old really crappy unshielded old strats. After I added the Satchurator into my line, if I kick that on and get too close to the amp without playing it will pull in hum and some weird radio channel bleed in.

I have really good shielding and cables everywhere and it will even do it on a full size HB. Something weird with that box, but I dig the tone on my rig. Like I said, if I use my moded base plate pickups together it will kill it but not even my standard full size HBs will stop it. Something to do with the way I grounded both of the them. It's worse with a single coil for sure. It does not hurt my sound or playability it is just annoying to have noise come in like that after having such a dead quite rig. I can have my amp gain up and really no noise to be concerned with. Just that one box triggers the effect interference.

The tubestore guys told me just adding the tube cage (Faraday shield) to the first preamp tube in V1 will isolate the amp sensitivity. I am wondering if this might be the problem so many high gain players have to use a noise reduction pedal to kill????
#15
27th December 2010
Old 27th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,613

nedorama is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs5421 View Post
is it bad if i just use it to power the pedals going guitar-pedals-amp? i get no buzz with that
No problem at all. The problem is in the audio path of your SKB pedalboard. No need for fancy faraday cages, etc. Just don't use the audio part of your SKB and you should be fine.
#16
27th December 2010
Old 27th December 2010
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Sounds like ground loop hum. Single coils magnify the problem while humbucklers do not get rid of the problem they just cover it up.

I change my board quite a bit and I work to have a totally quite system with no noise on my single coils.

You need to power effects from an isloated port brick, do not daisy chain.
Electrical rule is you can give something higher mA than it needs (to an extent) but NOT less. A lot of guys use those daisy chained power supplies which in some low tech cases might work but end up causing more problems than they solve. Most younger players have little concern for their power supply rigging. I saw one guy on the internet who was using as std 9v 100mA wart to daisy an entire chain. That will work if the sum total of all the pedals is <100mA but it is a bad idea. (Sum total of all the pedals mA currents should be well less than the max rated output of the common supply.) Most quality power bricks have plenty of mA supply.

Are you getting any bad pops from any true by-pass pedals? That is a sure sign of ground problems. Fulltone used to do this to me all the time with bad popping due to by-pass pedals building a charge on the switch.

I remove all the batteries from my pedals and everything gets fed from a BBE Supra-Charger that gets its power from a Furman power conditioner filter. Never underestimate the importance of your power feeds. Getting rid of the batteries solves a lot of ground loop and charging problems. Some complain "what if the power goes out the batteries are like a backup". Seriously if the power goes out so does my amp, so sound is down. Besides I bloody hate batteries. Effects will almost always sound better and work to their full design w a good fixed and regulated power supply.

Another problem with board noise is from the design of certain pedals which cause the tubes to become more sensitive to interference (12AX7s are really sensitive to 60 cycle hum and radio) you get radio coming through or the 60 hz cycle hum of the electrical supply magnified by a nearby florescent fixture, when you are not playing.

Been my experience the Vox/JS Satchurator causes this a lot, probably are a lot of others. The solve for this type of interference or hum can be fixed by a Faraday cage, a copper grounded and insulated screen that goes over the V1 tube (see tubestore.com/tube cage like $17). Sometimes really major shielding and grounding on some guitars will kill it but not usually.

The importance of a isolated, filitered and surge protected power supply is essential for a good pedal board and to suppy the amp with a constant, clean and regulated voltage. Some companies will argue the very power cord to your amp will effect the sound of the amp. Do not cheap out anymore than you would use cheap line cables.

A Power Clamp (locks voltage at a constant 100v) Conditioner also helps to filter out noise in the electrical supply. Furman and Carvin made very reasonably priced main 110v supplies, Voodoo Lab and BBE made really good isolated bricks for pedals.

Remember, be sure to match the box's voltage and mA draw. You can give a pedal more mA than it needs but not less. Most pedals draw less than a 100 mA which is the usual port current on bricks. Good ones offer switches and some ports with uo to 200 mA and higher voltage for some rare effects. Never give a box more voltage than it is rated, you will fry it. Some like Fulltones can take a range of 9-18v. Most are just 9v. I had a Morely Wah last year that was a 300mA draw, no brick could supply it so I ran a separate wart for it from a multi-suuply also fed by the Furman. My Whammy is a 200mA pedal and has a special high current wart.

If you're like me any sort of hum or interference is intollerable on my board. I work to get rid of it and to keep the sound HD.
Voodoo Lab - Pedal Power 2 Plus

#17
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,292

darkhorse is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives For Fuzz View Post

Actually here is the weird thing: I actually had 2 Voodoo Lab units right out the box, each of them had ports that were dead. I got the first one from Musician's Friend and hooked up my entire board. Some of the effects would not come on, I got out my meter and starting checking the voltage outputs of the ports and 2 of them were just dead. Boxed it up and sent it back and they replaced it, and son of bitch the 2nd one had the same problem on differing ports!! I opted for the BBE SupraCharger which is also an isolated filtered supply with options. I use all 8 ports on it plus some extra higher mA warts for some pedals to a special strip also powered from my master Furman line conditioner. I like the BBE, it's been great for me.

I have heard others say the Satchurator has noise issues, anyone else having this issue. When on and not playing the noise floor is terrible. Nothing else I use does this even if you turn everything on. I doubt if the faraday cage will solve this noise issue of that one box but I will probably put one on just to have my amp shielded better.

I would agree with the board included supplies. I would not use them. I built my own board and the BBE is main supply for 8 pedals. I run my Fulltone's on 12v and 2 of the ports on the BBE put out 200mA. The guys daisy chaining stuff are asking for ground loop hum and noise. Some pay no attention to their power supplies but I tell you it is as important as your cables. You need to have a isolated filtered regulated power supply.
I also have used a Furman Power Conditioner for many years, it locks the voltage on 110v and filters out any noise in the power line. I cannot see having a board that holds perhaps over $2000 worth of pedals and not feed it correctly. It's also a matter of being professional. Punk a bunch of batteries.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Anon-e-moose / The Moan Zone
6
Whitecat / The Good News Channel
1
danbronson / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.