4th November 2010
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Guru

Definitely check out the Gries 35

Very fine build quality.
5th November 2010
Old 5th November 2010
Gear interested

Fargen Blackbird . He makes 40W combos. I have the head version and it is fantastic.
5th November 2010
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Guru

Even though I'm personally still way more into 100% hand wired amps,

I would also check out the Tone Kings.

All reports seem to indicate highly reliable performance out of these
very well built amps.

So many choices in Fender voices.

Those mentioned above adding
Bruno, Pure 64, Category 5, Two Rock, Carol Ann, VVT Amps, to the lineup.

Put music in your heart
and heart in your music
mojoduo
5th November 2010
Old 5th November 2010
Gear addict

5th November 2010
Old 5th November 2010
Gear addict

louis electric
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
louis electric
Yes Yes another excellent choice!

Nothing at all wrong with Allen Amps

I've only heard the Sweet Spot, but really liked it.
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Even though I'm personally still way more into 100% hand wired amps,

I would also check out the Tone Kings.
I had a Tone King, and it was most definitely NOT a Fender clone. It was a great amp, but not what I was looking for. They're loud like Fenders, and that's about it. It had the punch of a Vox and the power of a small Marshall combo, with an American tone. (I do not mean this to be read as a criticism in any way of a Tone King; they are very reliable, very giggable, very unique amps. I only mention that they didn't fit my desires at the time I bought mine, so take this with a grain of salt)
So, kinda Fender, but not really. There are a lot of great guys making "true" Fender clones, although even that can be debated (ad naseum, I'm sure) because most of them make minor design considerations to address the shortcomings of the original amp models.
My experience has been the closest Fender clones that I've played (and subsequently owned) have been Clark and Victoria amps. Both are fantastic. You cannot go wrong with a Clark. Notice I didn't contract my "cannot" because I was trying to emphasize that I find that Clarks are outstanding amps.
My Clark Piedmont, an (almost) exact replica of a 1959 & 1/2 5F6A Fender Bassman, (replete with cloth wound wires near the transformer, a 5AR4 rectifier, and a cabinet that buzzes against the chassis) is considered by many, many people to be
"The greatest guitar amp of all time". I love my Clark. BUT: I'm so damn worried about it being stolen, however irrational that may be, that I am loathe to gig with it. That being said, it has many scrapes and bruises from being gigged, so what the hell do I know.
On the other hand, my Vickie "Double Deluxe" isn't something Fender ever really built, but it certainly could have been. It's basicallly two Deluxe amps in dual mono.

Probably waay too much info, but I would describe my Double Deluxe as loud and extremely dynamic, while the Piedmont is very well behaved and predictable. They are both dynamite amplifiers, and while they're very similar, they're also different. The Double Deluxe I guess might be a little more difficult to control in unskilled hands, but man what an amp. It literally punches above its weight. For most gigs I grab the Vickie, primarily due to its relative light weight. But when I'm feeling low, and feel like doing some dark music, I grab the Clark. This isn't to say that they're one trick ponies; just based on how I play, this is how I use them.

So long story short, Clark and Victoria. I've had incredible success, tonally, with both of them. I'd be torn between my amps and my guitars in a fire.

Edit: I feel I need to point out that both amps are more than adequate for my gigs. They both can do what I need them to, I just wrote about how I use them. Purely irrational and personal. FYI

Last edited by rkopald; 6th November 2010 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: PostScript.
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Guru

I understand the Tone Kings are not Fender clones, but it seems
many Fender enthusiasts do like them .
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoduo View Post
i want a fender combo clone in the 40-50lb weight range 2x10 1x15 anyone here use allen amps. im looking at ordering a encore. also if not who makes the best hand wired point to point vintage fender clones. i would like something new that has a stand alone mix/dwell/tone unit style reverb in it.
Why a 2x10? There are loads of Fender clones in the 2x12 but fewer in the 2x10.
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Guru

Since you now have the freedom to buy an excellent new quality build
from so many great builders, I would go for a separate Head and Cab
configuration. For versatility today, I'd want variable 4.8.16
Ohm output impedance since you're starting from scratch.

A separate head allows you the freedom to try 10's 12's 15's
in any configuration appropriate for the music.
Deleted User
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Deleted User

If you come across a Jansen amp don't hesitate to pick it up. They are a true testimony to early Fender designs being hand-wired in New Zealand in the 60's.

Models like the 60/40 Twin feature a beautiful valve Tremolo.

Good luck with your future purchase.
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Gear addict

I went with Tech 21 Trademark because they're LIGHT and trouble free. The Fender "sound" drives nice with a Tube Screamer. I have the 60 with 1X12 and use it with the Power Engine 1X12 because I can move it around depending on the room.
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

Aint Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby

Why do want a clone?

Why not the real thing?

If you want Fender Buy Fender.

Just Saying!

"What comes from the heart lands on the heart"
6th November 2010
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

If I was looking for a great Fender style amp (and not an actual Fender), I'd look at a Bruno Cowtipper (on the expensive end), or a MusicMan Sixty Five Reverb head (on the less expensive side).
7th November 2010
Old 7th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a little conflicted here. I love vintage amps, and you're basically describing a Vibrolux Reverb. My last one cost me $800, SF and near mint. For the difference in cost between that and a Vicky ($1800, used) you could easily blueprint it: NOS tubes, freshened speakers, cap job, touch up all solder joints, change out any dodgy resistors, replace any suspect wiring. The best that you can hope for with a new clone is that you won't lose too much money with the vibrolux it should gradually increase in value, basically indefinitely!
8th November 2010
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

RE: Vibrolux

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
I'm a little conflicted here. I love vintage amps, and you're basically describing a Vibrolux Reverb. My last one cost me $800, SF and near mint. For the difference in cost between that and a Vicky ($1800, used) you could easily blueprint it: NOS tubes, freshened speakers, cap job, touch up all solder joints, change out any dodgy resistors, replace any suspect wiring. The best that you can hope for with a new clone is that you won't lose too much money with the vibrolux it should gradually increase in value, basically indefinitely!

Totally Agree, Even the custom shop reissue Vibrolux can be had for less then a boutique clone and it's a simple job to make them the same as the original.

For a little more weight ( bigger transformer and 3 tens ) and a lot more Money The VibroKing is the ticket. I love mine like nothing else I have.

( found it on craigslist localy for 2,700.00 with the 2 twelve extension cab - near mint and in blond I might add - and man that three knob reverb is so sweet )

13th November 2010
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm really pretty fond of my VVT Fralin...it's sort ofa best of...if only it had brownface trem, it would really be a "best of Fender" in a small 1x15 package. Takes 6V6 or 6L6 self biasing, depending on how you feel...

It's a bit noisey for a clean amp...only real complaint.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search